chez

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003

I am on aol broadband using DSL how can i use this modem to send a fax

You cannot use THAT modem to send or recieve a fax.

chez wrote:
> I am on aol broadband using DSL how can i use this modem to send a
> fax

What modem? You don't /have/ a modem! Just think about it for a moment. When
you connect to the internet, do you dial a number? No you do not. Do you
connect using a phone line? No, you do not. If you don't dial a number and
you're not using a phone line, how do you suppose the data is sent? Power of
positive thought? Faxing requires two things: - direct access to a phone
line and an analogue fax modem. You don't have either. You need to purchase
an analogue fax modem and connect it to a phone line, via a DSL filter.
You're not using the phone line directly because you can use the phone at
the same time.

sending a fax by DSL requires one of two methods:

1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
telephone to the DSL line, then connect a regular analog fax modem to the
line through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, as does
your local Radio Shack store:

http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)

2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:

http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
http://www.savetz.com/fax/
FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com