CPU temp is High, but why?

TheFlamingCow

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2001
So my new Duron 750 overclocked to 933mhz (133mhz X 7.0, 1.85v) with an OCZ Gladiator (Stock 36cfm fan, not the Delta 38cfm one) is running at about 46 degrees centigrade, while mostly idle.

I have a pci slot exhaust fan, a case intake fan & a HD cooling intake fan, & the powersupply is an Enermax which has an intake fan directly above the cpu, in addition to the exhaust fan in the back of the case.

I've checked and all the fans are working. The two intake fans don't seem to move much air, but the exhaust fans & the cpu fan are good.

I've got rounded IDE & Floppy cables too. The case is some sort of InWin mid-tower, and has some vents on one side.

I applied OCZ's equivilant of Arctic Silver thermal paste (which has been reviewed as just as good). I applied a very thin layer to the CPU & the HSF.

I'm fairly certain the HSF is mounted correctly. All the sites I've seen said the OCZ Was quite good, but this seems a bit high. 46 degrees at idle? I haven't checked Full Load yet, I'm almost afraid to. I'd like to OC the Duron a bit more (it should be able to handle it). Any ideas on why the CPU is so warm? I think it should be down to 40 or less, from what I've read, and that at Full Load. I haven't checked the ambient temp, but it it wasn't warmer than 80 degrees in the room, I'm sure. What can I do to get my temp down (if it's possible) with my existing hardware? (I don't want to go buy a water cooling system. Well, I want to, but I'm just blew all my money on upgrading in the first place.)

Thanks for your input.

Moo.

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Have you updated your BIOS to the latest config? BIOS updates often reconfigure CPU conditions hence changing the temps of same.

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.