Familt Plan Minutes Usage Question

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I have the 800 minute Family plan. Am I correct in assuming:

1. Each member of the Plan dips into the Family 800 minute as they use their
phone for "prime time" calls.

2. Once the 800 minutes have been used, as each member of the Plan makes a
"prime time" call, their number is billed 45 cents/min.

3. Voice mail calls are not free.

I signed up for the free extra 100 minutes last month. Where do thoes
minutes show up? I should have 900 useable minutes...no?

John wrote:
> I have the 800 minute Family plan. Am I correct in
> assuming:
>
> 1. Each member of the Plan dips into the Family 800
> minute as they use their phone for "prime time" calls.

Yes.

> 2. Once the 800 minutes have been used, as each member of
> the Plan makes a "prime time" call, their number is
> billed 45 cents/min.

....basically... not sure. You have to read it carefully. Look at
your plan. It seems that with the very latest plans the extra minute
charge is the same for primary and secondary lines. This was
not so in the past and it made a difference where the extra minutes
were allocated. If the overage charges are the same for primary
and secondary lines then it won't make a difference.

> 3. Voice mail calls are not free.

true.

> I signed up for the free extra 100 minutes last month.
> Where do thoes minutes show up? I should have 900 useable
> minutes...no?

Yes, you should have 900 useable minutes in the pool.
It should show under the "current promotions"(?) section
on your bill or plan.

-Quick

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:18:32 -0500, "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote:
>2. Once the 800 minutes have been used, as each member of the Plan makes a
>"prime time" call, their number is billed 45 cents/min.

It hasn't worked that way for me. While my daughter used up almost
all the minutes, the charges were on my detailed phone useage, not
hers. It kinda seems like they just add up all the minutes at the end
of the month, and if you're over your allotment, they just list the
phone usage one phone at a time, then when they reach the end of the
allotment, they charge the useage thereafter. Since her phone was the
primary, her usage was at the top of the list, and it didn't show
charges for her usage. But by the time it got to my phone, all the
items in P time had charges on them.

The way the billing systems assigns min for family share plans is that
the primary line always gets the the full allotment of min. meaning if
you have 3 lines on a 900 min plan and all lines total up to 1000 min
at the end of the month, it will show the primay line as using all of
the 900 where the other 2 share lines get the overage. that sux i
know, but it is just the way the billing system is set up. if you want
to see acutal min usage log on to your account at
www.verizonwireless.com . that will show you not only the current
month but past months as well. you can also do #646 (min) from your
phone to check your min used, but this is individual to each phone, so
you need to add all phones up to get the account total.--hope that
helps! cheers!

Will wrote:
> The way the billing systems assigns min for family share plans is that
> the primary line always gets the the full allotment of min. meaning
> if you have 3 lines on a 900 min plan and all lines total up to 1000
> min at the end of the month, it will show the primay line as using
> all of the 900 where the other 2 share lines get the overage. that
> sux i know, but it is just the way the billing system is set up. if
> you want to see acutal min usage log on to your account at
> www.verizonwireless.com . that will show you not only the current
> month but past months as well. you can also do #646 (min) from your
> phone to check your min used, but this is individual to each phone, so
> you need to add all phones up to get the account total.--hope that
> helps! cheers!

Not exactly...

It doesn't make a difference any more with respect to cost since it
appears that with the latest plans the overage charges are the same
for primary and secondary lines. Previously the overage charge
($/min) was higher for secondary lines.

Without any additional information the method you describe would
result in the primary line never having any overage charges.

now I'm going to have to go look it up....
-Quick

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:27:59 GMT, "Quick"
<Quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>Without any additional information the method you describe would
>result in the primary line never having any overage charges.

We had 3 phones on an 800 min plan. We went over our allotment, and
we got charged for it. One phone used 600 minutes all by herself. But
hers was the first one on the list. By the time the usage reached
my phone, every peak call got charged...

Then you look at the summaries, and hers showed her normal charges,
and mines showed overage charges. It doesn't make any difference in
the total amount you pay, but it really made me mad.

I'm not sure if it's the primary line that gets the usage first, or if
it's the just assigned by numerical order. Numerically, hers is
first and mines is last. We've since upped our minutes and changed
the primary number so we haven't gone over since.

Sharon Westfall wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:27:59 GMT, "Quick"
> <Quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>> Without any additional information the method you describe would
>> result in the primary line never having any overage charges.
>
> We had 3 phones on an 800 min plan. We went over our allotment, and
> we got charged for it. One phone used 600 minutes all by herself. But
> hers was the first one on the list. By the time the usage reached
> my phone, every peak call got charged...
>
> Then you look at the summaries, and hers showed her normal charges,
> and mines showed overage charges. It doesn't make any difference in
> the total amount you pay, but it really made me mad.
>
> I'm not sure if it's the primary line that gets the usage first, or if
> it's the just assigned by numerical order. Numerically, hers is
> first and mines is last. We've since upped our minutes and changed
> the primary number so we haven't gone over since.

Well... according to the website Bill is absolutely correct.

"Monthly Home Airtime Allowance Minutes apply to the primary line
first at the end of the billing cycle. If there are allowance minutes
remaining, they will be applied to the additional line(s) with the
highest usage."

They always list the primary line first on the bill. It is also identified
as such. Not sure why it made you mad... I'm guessing that you
are assigning blame/shame based on where they listed the overage
charges? You just have to explain that because they charged my
line for the minutes doesn't mean that you didn't use them or hog
the pool... -:)

So they wait until the end of the month.

They take minutes out of the pool and allocate them to the
primary line until:
1) primary line minutes are covered
or
2) the pool is exhausted

Then if there are minutes left in the pool they do the same
for the secondary line with the highest usage.

Then if there are still mintes left they go the the secondary
line with the next highest usage. and so on.

If there are overage charges the secondary line with the
least usage will always have overage charges.

The only way the primary line will have overage charges
is if the primary line used more minutes than there were
in the pool.

Cost wise this doesn't make a difference any more and
you can see actuall minutes used by each line on your
bill (or online).

-Quick

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I thought primary line was $.40 per minute of overage while the secondary
lines were $.45 per minute of overage. Maybe they've changed the rates to be
the same for all lines. But it's easy to see why they depleted the primary
before the overage rate equalization..

"Quick" <Quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Sharon Westfall wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:27:59 GMT, "Quick"
> > <Quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
> >> Without any additional information the method you describe would
> >> result in the primary line never having any overage charges.
> >
> > We had 3 phones on an 800 min plan. We went over our allotment, and
> > we got charged for it. One phone used 600 minutes all by herself. But
> > hers was the first one on the list. By the time the usage reached
> > my phone, every peak call got charged...
> >
> > Then you look at the summaries, and hers showed her normal charges,
> > and mines showed overage charges. It doesn't make any difference in
> > the total amount you pay, but it really made me mad.
> >
> > I'm not sure if it's the primary line that gets the usage first, or if
> > it's the just assigned by numerical order. Numerically, hers is
> > first and mines is last. We've since upped our minutes and changed
> > the primary number so we haven't gone over since.
>
> Well... according to the website Bill is absolutely correct.
>
> "Monthly Home Airtime Allowance Minutes apply to the primary line
> first at the end of the billing cycle. If there are allowance minutes
> remaining, they will be applied to the additional line(s) with the
> highest usage."
>
> They always list the primary line first on the bill. It is also identified
> as such. Not sure why it made you mad... I'm guessing that you
> are assigning blame/shame based on where they listed the overage
> charges? You just have to explain that because they charged my
> line for the minutes doesn't mean that you didn't use them or hog
> the pool... -:)
>
> So they wait until the end of the month.
>
> They take minutes out of the pool and allocate them to the
> primary line until:
> 1) primary line minutes are covered
> or
> 2) the pool is exhausted
>
> Then if there are minutes left in the pool they do the same
> for the secondary line with the highest usage.
>
> Then if there are still mintes left they go the the secondary
> line with the next highest usage. and so on.
>
> If there are overage charges the secondary line with the
> least usage will always have overage charges.
>
> The only way the primary line will have overage charges
> is if the primary line used more minutes than there were
> in the pool.
>
> Cost wise this doesn't make a difference any more and
> you can see actuall minutes used by each line on your
> bill (or online).
>
> -Quick

The Familyshare plans on the website here (San Jose) show the same
overage charges for primary and secondary. It wasn't that way before.
The overage charge for the secondary lines used to be more than the
primary line. The charge/minute itself varies with the size of the plan.
Less per minute as the plan gets larger.

-Quick

Quick wrote:
> The Familyshare plans on the website here (San Jose) show
> the same overage charges for primary and secondary. It
> wasn't that way before. The overage charge for the
> secondary lines used to be more than the primary line.
> The charge/minute itself varies with the size of the
> plan. Less per minute as the plan gets larger.
>
> -Quick
>
> John wrote:
>> I thought primary line was $.40 per minute of overage
>> while the secondary lines were $.45 per minute of
>> overage. Maybe they've changed the rates to be the same
>> for all lines. But it's easy to see why they depleted
>> the primary before the overage rate equalization..

Just looked at my plan (switched to the 2000 + 100 bonus
AC plan on about 1/5/05). $.25 primary overage and $.45
secondary overage. yikes.

-Quick

This depends..
I am in the west area and I think most of verizon works the same way...
The primary line gets ALL the min first.. what ever is left over gets sent
to the secondary phone that used the most min next.

"John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message
>I have the 800 minute Family plan. Am I correct in assuming:
>
> 1. Each member of the Plan dips into the Family 800 minute as they use
> their
> phone for "prime time" calls.
>
> 2. Once the 800 minutes have been used, as each member of the Plan makes a
> "prime time" call, their number is billed 45 cents/min.
>
> 3. Voice mail calls are not free.
>
> I signed up for the free extra 100 minutes last month. Where do thoes
> minutes show up? I should have 900 useable minutes...no?

TRENDING THREADS