Sign in with
Your question

Hard Disk cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 29, 2001 1:12:22 PM

I have the IBM GXP hard disk 30gb 7200rpm.
It gets HOT.
1. Will installing a normal cpu cooler help?
2. Is it better to put the heatsink as well and the fan on top,attachin the heatsink on the hd with blue tag maybe?

More about : hard disk cooling

May 29, 2001 2:04:14 PM

you cannot install a cpu cooler (well, you probably can but it will be hard and not very effective) to a hdd.

There are lots of bay kits to install a 3.5" hdd into a 5.25" bay and cool. I use the coolermaster cooldrive and they are okay and reasonable looking. They have a fan which you can optionally not use but most importantly a big Alu heatsink...

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
May 29, 2001 5:52:40 PM

If you can install an exhaust case fan near or above the HDD, this will draw off a lot of the heat.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2001 6:10:45 PM

Anyways I did what I thought was right and guess what?
I now have a system fan (normal 80mm fan) purchased only for 10 pounds attached on top of my previously hot HD with blue tag. The HD is now cold, and yes I mean cold, you cant even feel the slightest warmth when you touch it.
Just wanted ppl to know that expensive HD fans are not necessary.
June 2, 2001 11:12:55 AM

expensive? My HDD cooler is $25, approx £16 I guess, but it also quietens the HDD and allows mounting in a 5.25" bay. Not to detract from your effort though. If you used an 80mm fan effectively for 10 quid - good on you. Innovation is the name of the game and it keeps us all sharp!

June 2, 2001 1:39:45 PM

I just spent 125 american dollars for my new case's cooling system. Its my first computer I am building. 4 fans ( three 80s and a 120), a 4 sensor thermo reader (29.95), cables and screws, one of those bay freezers, one of the HD coolers, one turbine exhasut that goes under my videocard (takes a slot)... bunch of cables..

Was much cheaper then other sites... Its over kill, I know. Hey, if it prolongs my Computer's life... I will be happy.

IMacs for the blind
June 2, 2001 1:46:08 PM

hey if it's that much cheaper and you got your stuff with no hassles do you mind sharing the name of the site with us??? :wink:

June 2, 2001 5:20:44 PM

I have not recieved the package yet. I ordered it friday. I will tell you how it went. Or email me at webmaster@kilgore.cc

On a side note: I HATE UPS, those lazy union people do not know my area or are willing to spend the time learning it. I live in the country and FedEx and Airbrone can arrive to my home, but not the UPS. Stupid UPS drivers...

Oh, I will get the package June 6th or so. I am going to wait for the UPS driver at a gas station monday and show him the way to my house. (slowing down and point to the road signs, lol) You know what sucks, I cannot get a refund from the UPS. (been waiting for my Full tower case for several days pass the due date). Maybe I shouldn't be mad... Not so smart people have to make a living to.

Anyways, The link is http://www.coolerstar.com/

I just ordered, I do not have any opinions about them. But email me and I will reply when I have recieved the package and used the goods.

IMacs for the blind
June 2, 2001 9:15:55 PM

You bought an 80mm fan for 10pounds? LOL

---------
Grass is a beautiful weed
!