Computer Not Living Up To Gaming Expectations?

Crynix

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Hello there, recently I've been having trouble running games at expected graphics levels. I believe that my system should be able to run nearly any game at max settings @ 1080p. I've also noticed that I can run any Valve game absolutely fine, but other's (like Skyrim) I have more problems with. I've also noticed that in games I have problems with, both of my GPU's are only being used up to around 50% of their potential. Unfortunately, that is often not the case. My specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k (overclocked to 4.2ghz, I can go to 5, but I like to leave it at 4.2 for everyday use)
Graphics: 2x Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Motherboard: ASROCK P67 Extreme4 Gen3
Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Solid State Drive: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Hard Disk Drive: Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5 inch (my games are installed on this)
Power: Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

Crynix

Honorable
May 20, 2012

I have Skyrim through Steam, so yes.

I do have CCC 12.4.

This won't be hurting your framerates, but it's worth installing games to your SSD to benefit from improved load times. I know 64GB is a bit snug but you could probably fit at least one game on there at a time? With regards to the framerate issue, may be stating the obvious but is Crossfire definitely checked in your control panel? Valve stuff will always be fast by the way since the Source engine is pretty old now and very undemanding hardware-wise. Skyrim needs a lot more muscle, though 2x 6870s should certainly do it. It's been my experience with AMD hardware though that performance is extremely inconsistent.

Crynix

Honorable
May 20, 2012

Crazily enough, I don't have any extra space on my SSD. All of the space is occupied by Windows, Visual Studio, and drivers. And yes, Crossfire is definitely checked. Any other ideas?

Crynix

Honorable
May 20, 2012

I get around 25 FPS in Skyrim on ultra. I'm currently in the process of reinstalling Windows along with everything else. Hopefully that'll fix something.

Crynix

Honorable
May 20, 2012

I do use three monitors for general use, but for gaming I disable two of them. It is currently reinstalling. Also, my temps are all fine. When my CPU is maxed out, it's about 50-60C. I don't remember what my GFX cards were at when maxed out offhand, but it was average.