866 Coppermine overclock?

peterb

Distinguished
May 30, 2001
Hi folks,

I am thinking of getting an Asus cusl2-c mobo, and I want to go to 150mhz FSB on it. Any suggesstion for reliable 128mb PC-150 Sdrams?

Intend to use this machine as a daily workhorse system, so I am not trying to push the envelope (too far :)

Will a 866 P-III 133 push to 975/150 easily, i.e. keeping retail fan and staying stable and reasonably cool? Or is this unlikely, and not the best way to go?

Also, how do I up the cpu voltage on this mobo, if I have to, for stability reasons?

Appreciate any advice.

thanks
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peterb on 05/30/01 04:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I would recommend the 700E chip. You can set the FSB to 133 and get 933 with the stock HSFan on it. Just make sure your case is well ventilated and use some thermal grease instead of the pad. Plus when you run it at 133 you dont have to worry about the rest of your system getting out of spec.

For fast overclockable ram go here <A HREF="http://www.mushkin.com" target="_new">Mushkin</A>

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Go with Mushkin ram. You already picked the best board. Now about the processor-the 650E will go to 975@150 for a lot less money than the 866EB. Same multiplier. But in either case I suggest the Thermaltake VolcanoII or GlobalWin FOP32-1 cooler. Both are available for much less than $20 (I have seen the VolcanoII as low as $8)! The VolcanoII is nice and quiet.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

peterb

Distinguished
May 30, 2001
Thanks for the replies.

But isn't pushing the 100mhz core 650E up to 150mhz/975 way too much? Won't stability be dicey? Won't temps be way high?
OCing the 866/133 to 975/133 is only a 12% increase. What do you think?

How about the Kingmax PC-150 ram? Any good?

Thanks

Pete

fire in the hole!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, Tom had the same question a long time ago and he was able to get the 650 to 975/150 quite easily. My experience says that it is hit-or-miss, SOMETIMES the 650 will produce more heat at 975 than the 866 would, but you can always get a better cooler. My wife's computer has a Celeron 566 (that's one of the PIII's with the defective cache disabled on one side) that goes to 979MHz quite easily. And my PIII 700E goes to 1021 fairly easily, but would need a super-efficient cooler for extended use-it only worked at 1021 with the cover off, with the cover on it would overheat after 10 minutes of harsh use. A better cooler and ventilation would have done wonders. On the other hand, I have a Celeron 633 that will NOT go to 900/100 no matter what I do-in fact, it is the first CPU I have got from Intel that would practically not overclock at all! So it's all hit or miss. I would say the chances of getting a 650 to 975/150 are about 97%, for the 866 maybe 98%. So you save a lot of money for a little extra risk, and I would seriously consider it at that price difference. If it fails, find a reason to return it and buy another. Easier to do with an OEM chip from a good supplier probably because they are not sealed in a box-tell them it wasn't compatable, and pay the 15% restocking fee. You still come out ahead cash wise even if you have to try twice!
If you have the money for the 866, you might want to consider the 1gHz for about $20 more. These are the cream of the crop, and you just MIGHT be able to get one of those to 1125@150 with excellent cooling.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Pete

You'd be better off going for an Athlon 750 and just change the multiplier and/or FSB...you'll be saving MAJOR bucks compared to the Intel counterparts and you'll be getting MUCH more performance......ask around...look around...read Tom's reviews......especially for the Money....you can get a 1GHz Athlon CPU for cheaper than a 866MHz PIII..or even like i said a 750 Athlon......they can hit high..real high.....i built my friend a machine with an Athlon 750 and an A7V133 and i got 1.1GHz at default voltage stable as a rock with a Thermaltake Volcano II....Take my word, you wont be disappointed...

-MeTaL RoCkEr

AMD = Always Making Dough... =)