Internal modem not recognized when installing Fax Service

I had to "restore" my notebook. Now when trying to re-install Fax Service, the internal modem (which does work) is not recognized. Fax Service does not list the internal modem when Searching For Modem finishes. What can I do?
3 answers Last reply
More about internal modem recognized installing service

    Not all modems have fax capabilities. Check whether your modem supports
    fax - goto device management
    [devmgmt.msc]->Modems-><modem>->Properties->Diagnostics->Query Modem. If
    AT+FCLASS shows either class 1, 2, or 2.0 it should support fax.

    --
    Archan Das

    purposes only.

    "RFChavez" <RFChavez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I had to "restore" my notebook. Now when trying to re-install Fax
    Service, the internal modem (which does work) is not recognized. Fax
    Service does not list the internal modem when Searching For Modem finishes.
    What can I do?

    The modem definitely supports Fax Service. I had installed it before. It was after I used the Restore CD to "restore" the laptop that installing Fax Service now will not recognize the modem. The modem does work because I have connected to dial-up ISP with it.

    "Archan Das [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Not all modems have fax capabilities. Check whether your modem supports
    > fax - goto device management
    > [devmgmt.msc]->Modems-><modem>->Properties->Diagnostics->Query Modem. If
    > AT+FCLASS shows either class 1, 2, or 2.0 it should support fax.
    >
    > --
    > Archan Das
    >
    > Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Fax Team

    > Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
    > purposes only.
    >
    > "RFChavez" <RFChavez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I had to "restore" my notebook. Now when trying to re-install Fax
    > Service, the internal modem (which does work) is not recognized. Fax
    > Service does not list the internal modem when Searching For Modem finishes.
    > What can I do?

    This sounds like a Laptop with an OEM restore CD. It is likely that you will
    need to contact the Laptop OEM or at least poke around on the oem's support
    web site. The restore CD may not match what was originally installed on the
    HD by the OEM.
    > The modem definitely supports Fax Service. I had installed it before. It
    > was after I used the Restore CD to "restore" the laptop that installing
    > Fax Service now will not recognize the modem. The modem does work
    > because I have connected to dial-up ISP with it.
    >

    > "Archan Das [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Not all modems have fax capabilities. Check whether your modem supports
    >> fax - goto device management
    >> [devmgmt.msc]->Modems-><modem>->Properties->Diagnostics->Query Modem. If
    >> AT+FCLASS shows either class 1, 2, or 2.0 it should support fax.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Archan Das
    >>
    >> Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Fax Team

    >> rights.
    >>
    >> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
    >> newsgroup
    >> purposes only.
    >>
    >> "RFChavez" <RFChavez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I had to "restore" my notebook. Now when trying to re-install Fax
    >> Service, the internal modem (which does work) is not recognized. Fax
    >> Service does not list the internal modem when Searching For Modem
    >> finishes.
    >> What can I do?

    ---
    Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

Fax Modem Microsoft Windows XP