Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Presasio 1692 won't boot. 4 beeps on power on.

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
October 22, 2004 3:50:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Hi,

I have a Presario 1692. It was last shutdown safely (from Windows 98) 2
days ago. Since yesterday though, it refuses to turn on. When powered on,
I can see the power lights come on, the CPU fan starts up, and I hear 4
medium (all the same length) beeps, and then nothing. Screen remains off
throughout.

I searched compaqs service site, including the page describing error
beep codes.. it doesn't mention anything about 4 beeps in a row.

Anyone here know what the problem might be? I tried taking out the extra
memory module that was installed last year, it didn't make a difference..

Thanks,
Deepak
October 22, 2004 7:36:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Uh, there are no "medium" beeps. They are either short or long. Have you
tried removing the RTC battery for 30 seconds to clear CMOS? To remove it
you must:
1. Turn off the computer.

2. Disconnect the power cord.

3. Remove the battery pack.

4. Remove the Palmrest Cover with Touch Pad.

5. Remove the heatspreader.

6. Remove the keyboard.

7. Remove RTC battery for 30 seconds and replace it .

8. Reassemble the computer.

That would be the first thing I'd try.

HH



"Deepak" <nomail@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.10.22.15.50.57.688403@nowhere.net...
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a Presario 1692. It was last shutdown safely (from Windows 98) 2
> days ago. Since yesterday though, it refuses to turn on. When powered on,
> I can see the power lights come on, the CPU fan starts up, and I hear 4
> medium (all the same length) beeps, and then nothing. Screen remains off
> throughout.
>
> I searched compaqs service site, including the page describing error
> beep codes.. it doesn't mention anything about 4 beeps in a row.
>
> Anyone here know what the problem might be? I tried taking out the extra
> memory module that was installed last year, it didn't make a difference..
>
> Thanks,
> Deepak
October 22, 2004 9:19:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:36:45 -0400, HH wrote:

> Uh, there are no "medium" beeps. They are either short or long.

Sorry, I didn't know that. Judging from what I have heard on desktops
before then, it is definately 4 short beeps.

> Have you
> tried removing the RTC battery for 30 seconds to clear CMOS?

I tried that.. didn't do anything.. same problem still exists :( 

Deepak
Related resources
October 22, 2004 9:48:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Hmmm. Repeated short beeps often mean either RAM or video problems. Have
you tried holding the power switch down fr at least 4 seconds, then power
up?
HH

"Deepak" <nomail@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.10.22.21.19.27.657155@nowhere.net...
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:36:45 -0400, HH wrote:
>
>> Uh, there are no "medium" beeps. They are either short or long.
>
> Sorry, I didn't know that. Judging from what I have heard on desktops
> before then, it is definately 4 short beeps.
>
>> Have you
>> tried removing the RTC battery for 30 seconds to clear CMOS?
>
> I tried that.. didn't do anything.. same problem still exists :( 
>
> Deepak
October 22, 2004 11:04:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:48:08 -0400, HH wrote:

>
> "Deepak" <nomail@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.10.22.21.19.27.657155@nowhere.net...
>> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:36:45 -0400, HH wrote:
>>
>>> Uh, there are no "medium" beeps. They are either short or long.
>>
>> Sorry, I didn't know that. Judging from what I have heard on desktops
>> before then, it is definately 4 short beeps.
>>
>>> Have you
>>> tried removing the RTC battery for 30 seconds to clear CMOS?
>>
>> I tried that.. didn't do anything.. same problem still exists :( 
>>
>> Deepak

> Hmmm. Repeated short beeps often mean either RAM or video problems. Have
> you tried holding the power switch down fr at least 4 seconds, then power
> up?
> HH

Yep, did that too. Didn't work either. I am starting to think the board
may be dead. Would be nice if there was a way to confirm it though. I
wonder why the beep code is not on Compaq/HP's support site...

Deepak
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 10:20:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

I did some web searching as well as looking through the Compaq site, but
no reference to "4" beeps either short or long. Odd in that respect. You
could go back to the old strip and replace items one at a time to see what
failed that way. As stated here before, I'd opt for a memory or video
issue.

KC
"Deepak" <nomail@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.10.22.23.04.13.934050@nowhere.net...
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:48:08 -0400, HH wrote:
>
> >
> > "Deepak" <nomail@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > news:p an.2004.10.22.21.19.27.657155@nowhere.net...
> >> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:36:45 -0400, HH wrote:
> >>
> >>> Uh, there are no "medium" beeps. They are either short or long.
> >>
> >> Sorry, I didn't know that. Judging from what I have heard on desktops
> >> before then, it is definately 4 short beeps.
> >>
> >>> Have you
> >>> tried removing the RTC battery for 30 seconds to clear CMOS?
> >>
> >> I tried that.. didn't do anything.. same problem still exists :( 
> >>
> >> Deepak
>
> > Hmmm. Repeated short beeps often mean either RAM or video problems.
Have
> > you tried holding the power switch down fr at least 4 seconds, then
power
> > up?
> > HH
>
> Yep, did that too. Didn't work either. I am starting to think the board
> may be dead. Would be nice if there was a way to confirm it though. I
> wonder why the beep code is not on Compaq/HP's support site...
>
> Deepak
!