Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

need replacement phone - without re-upping contract

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
February 18, 2005 12:54:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I lost my VZW phone and need a replacement, preferably not at full
retail which seems to start around $150. Can anyone recommend a good
phone to buy off ebay or similar?

I don't want to re-up my contract for another 2 years because I hate
the way VZW turns off phone features and gouges their customers for
ringtones, etc. (But then again I need coverage on the DC metro so I'm
trapped with Verizon I think)

Can anyone recommend a good phone? I value small size first and would
take ability to use as a modem of sorts for my laptop if I could get
it.

Thanks!
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 1:40:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

what phone did you have before? did you have alot of accessories for
it? if so it might be wise to get the same type of phone. the old
audiovox bar phones have great service records, and you can usually
find them pretty cheap. the LG6000 is also a little bit older and a
camera phone, and sometimes can find them cheap too. Stay away from
the cheap motos, v60, 120E. now i know some people disagree with that,
but they are the phones that i see the most returns because of problems
with them. just a personal experience. the LG 4400 is an extremely
solid, tri mode, flip phone with great reception. another piece of
advice is to check in the phone book or with a local dealer to look for
someone who repairs phones or sells refurbished phones. that way you
have an actual store to go to with problems. hope that helps!

-W
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 4:41:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

well said :)  and place an emphasis on talking nicely to the corp
people, our local corp store doesnt like it when we (the agents) tell a
customer to go asking for one because the customer goes in all pissed
off and is like give me a phone. just be nice, a spoonfull of sugar
always helps the medicine go down! i have no problem with the local
techs cause i treat them like gods! haha, what goes around comes
around right?!?
Related resources
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 9:46:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

<phil@goathorns.com> wrote in message
news:1108749294.334376.210680@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>I lost my VZW phone and need a replacement, preferably not at full
> retail which seems to start around $150. Can anyone recommend a good
> phone to buy off ebay or similar?
>
> I don't want to re-up my contract for another 2 years because I hate
> the way VZW turns off phone features and gouges their customers for
> ringtones, etc. (But then again I need coverage on the DC metro so I'm
> trapped with Verizon I think)

If you go to a VZW company store (not an agent/reseller) and talk nicely to
one of the "gougers" there (you do sound like a Washington liberal!!), they
might let you have a refer older model like the LG VX10 for $50 or so. In my
market, they offer them to people with DOA older phones-- though not having
a trade in (they refurb them), you might have to pay a bit more.

I'm curious-- do you have any Verizon stock-- or own any mutual funds in
your retirement account that own Verizon stock? If you do, I'd think you'd
like *your* company (and you are an owner) to maximize profits;-) It's not a
dirty word, you know...

Ike
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 10:13:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Ira Hayes"

| I'm curious-- do you have any Verizon stock-- or own any mutual funds in
| your retirement account that own Verizon stock? If you do, I'd think you'd
| like *your* company (and you are an owner) to maximize profits;-) It's not
a
| dirty word, you know...

Ken Lay had a plan to maximize profits as well. Just because you can
(legally) does not make the practice right.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 6:20:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:37opn8F5bmndgU1@individual.net...
>
> "Ira Hayes"
>
> | I'm curious-- do you have any Verizon stock-- or own any mutual funds in
> | your retirement account that own Verizon stock? If you do, I'd think
> you'd
> | like *your* company (and you are an owner) to maximize profits;-) It's
> not
> a
> | dirty word, you know...
>
> Ken Lay had a plan to maximize profits as well. Just because you can
> (legally) does not make the practice right.
>
>

Slip into your earth shoes, pull on your back pack, fluff up your ratty
beard, replenish your granola and health food supply, retie your pony tail,
check your stash, readjust your Save The Whales and Hug A Tree buttons and
head for Canada--- you silly, naive, left-over 60's liberal hippy twit;-)

Ike
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 6:20:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Ira Hayes"

| > | I'm curious-- do you have any Verizon stock-- or own any mutual funds
in
| > | your retirement account that own Verizon stock? If you do, I'd think
| > you'd like *your* company (and you are an owner) to maximize profits;-)
It's not a dirty word, you know...
| >
| > Ken Lay had a plan to maximize profits as well. Just because you can
| > (legally) does not make the practice right.
|
| Slip into your earth shoes, pull on your back pack, fluff up your ratty
| beard, replenish your granola and health food supply, retie your pony
tail,
| check your stash, readjust your Save The Whales and Hug A Tree buttons and
| head for Canada--- you silly, naive, left-over 60's liberal hippy twit;-)
|
| Ike

You're talking to an Old Time Republican from the '50s. 'Case you don't
know, that was a time when a man's word and reputation meant something to
him and to others. I guess your attitude is explained away by current
mantra: I'll get mine( by whatever means) and the h*ll with the rest.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 6:20:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Not Me wrote:
| "Ira Hayes"
|
|||| I'm curious-- do you have any Verizon stock-- or own any mutual
|||| funds in your retirement account that own Verizon stock? If you
|||| do, I'd think
||| you'd like *your* company (and you are an owner) to maximize
||| profits;-)
| It's not a dirty word, you know...
|||
||| Ken Lay had a plan to maximize profits as well. Just because you
||| can (legally) does not make the practice right.
||
|| Slip into your earth shoes, pull on your back pack, fluff up your
|| ratty beard, replenish your granola and health food supply, retie
|| your pony tail, check your stash, readjust your Save The Whales and
|| Hug A Tree buttons and head for Canada--- you silly, naive,
|| left-over 60's liberal hippy twit;-)
||
|| Ike
|
| You're talking to an Old Time Republican from the '50s. 'Case you
| don't know, that was a time when a man's word and reputation meant
| something to him and to others. I guess your attitude is explained
| away by current mantra: I'll get mine( by whatever means) and the
| h*ll with the rest.

FWIW, there are (at least) two of us here - too many people dont' believe in
or practice personal rectitude....and it shows!

PC
February 19, 2005 9:11:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Ira Hayes wrote on [Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:20:26 GMT]:
> "Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> news:37opn8F5bmndgU1@individual.net...
>>
>> "Ira Hayes"
>>
>> | I'm curious-- do you have any Verizon stock-- or own any mutual funds in
>> | your retirement account that own Verizon stock? If you do, I'd think
>> you'd
>> | like *your* company (and you are an owner) to maximize profits;-) It's
>> not
>> a
>> | dirty word, you know...
>>
>> Ken Lay had a plan to maximize profits as well. Just because you can
>> (legally) does not make the practice right.
>>
>>
>
> Slip into your earth shoes, pull on your back pack, fluff up your ratty
> beard, replenish your granola and health food supply, retie your pony tail,
> check your stash, readjust your Save The Whales and Hug A Tree buttons and
> head for Canada--- you silly, naive, left-over 60's liberal hippy twit;-)

So, raping the consumer is ok if it's legal?
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 9:11:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Justin wrote:
| Ira Hayes wrote on [Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:20:26 GMT]:
|| "Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
|| news:37opn8F5bmndgU1@individual.net...
|||
||| "Ira Hayes"
|||
|||| I'm curious-- do you have any Verizon stock-- or own any mutual
|||| funds in your retirement account that own Verizon stock? If you
|||| do, I'd think you'd like *your* company (and you are an owner) to
|||| maximize profits;-) It's
||| not
||| a
|||| dirty word, you know...
|||
||| Ken Lay had a plan to maximize profits as well. Just because you
||| can (legally) does not make the practice right.
|||
|||
||
|| Slip into your earth shoes, pull on your back pack, fluff up your
|| ratty beard, replenish your granola and health food supply, retie
|| your pony tail, check your stash, readjust your Save The Whales and
|| Hug A Tree buttons and head for Canada--- you silly, naive,
|| left-over 60's liberal hippy twit;-)
|
| So, raping the consumer is ok if it's legal?

Stick to the point and reality - nobody is "raping" anyone. Market price is
what a willing buyer will pay a willinng seller. There's nothing
intrinsically evil about making a profit. If nobody made a profit, nobody
would have anything - we'd all be equally miserable and equally unable to
function.....

PC
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 12:51:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Proconsul wrote:
>
> Stick to the point and reality - nobody is "raping" anyone. Market
> price is what a willing buyer will pay a willinng seller. There's
> nothing intrinsically evil about making a profit. If nobody made a
> profit, nobody would have anything - we'd all be equally miserable
> and equally unable to function.....

But then the non-functional wouldn't feel so bad about themselves. -:) 

-Quick
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 12:52:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Quick wrote:
| Proconsul wrote:
||
|| Stick to the point and reality - nobody is "raping" anyone. Market
|| price is what a willing buyer will pay a willinng seller. There's
|| nothing intrinsically evil about making a profit. If nobody made a
|| profit, nobody would have anything - we'd all be equally miserable
|| and equally unable to function.....
|
| But then the non-functional wouldn't feel so bad about themselves. -:) 

Heaven forfend!....:) 

PC
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 8:28:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <%WNRd.63085$6u.33897@fed1read02>, nospam@nospam.org says...

> | So, raping the consumer is ok if it's legal?
>
> Stick to the point and reality - nobody is "raping" anyone. Market price is
> what a willing buyer will pay a willinng seller. There's nothing
> intrinsically evil about making a profit. If nobody made a profit, nobody
> would have anything - we'd all be equally miserable and equally unable to
> function.....

I agree with your comments on profit; it's just capitalism at work.

To the previous poster: the other thing to keep in mind is that the
wireless companies are giving discounts (sometimes at a loss on their
cost of the handset) in order to get you to sign up for a service
agreement/contract. That's why you get more off with a two year contract
than a one year. They take that loss because it's necessary in order for
them to make money on selling you their "air". You get your chance for a
deal when you sign up - then it only makes sense to pay a regular retail
price for the phone within the term of a contract. That's the way it was
when I worked for the 'S' company.

It's also not a "must do" to have a new phone as your replacement model.
You could pick up a less expensive used phone on eBay or Craig's List.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 8:55:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"L. Servingham"

| > | So, raping the consumer is ok if it's legal?
| >
| > Stick to the point and reality - nobody is "raping" anyone. Market price
is
| > what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller. There's nothing
| > intrinsically evil about making a profit. If nobody made a profit,
nobody
| > would have anything - we'd all be equally miserable and equally unable
to
| > function.....
|
| I agree with your comments on profit; it's just capitalism at work.
|
| To the previous poster: the other thing to keep in mind is that the
| wireless companies are giving discounts (sometimes at a loss on their
| cost of the handset) in order to get you to sign up for a service
| agreement/contract. That's why you get more off with a two year contract
| than a one year. They take that loss because it's necessary in order for
| them to make money on selling you their "air". You get your chance for a
| deal when you sign up - then it only makes sense to pay a regular retail
| price for the phone within the term of a contract. That's the way it was
| when I worked for the 'S' company.

Good theory but if you show up with a VZN compatible COAM (customer owned
and maintained) phone they will not provide service without the same one or
two year contract. As to absorbing the cost of the phone I think (based on
time spend inside the system) that you would be very very surprised at what
the carriers actually pay for phones and accessories.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 3:41:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I have an LG VX 10 with an extra battery, charger and Mobile Office Kit that
I can sell you. Email me privately.

--
Nadyne Nelson
nadyne@prospectiveplanning.com
Nadyne on MSN and Yahoo
Nadyne in FL on AIM
ICQ #2484855

<phil@goathorns.com> wrote in message
news:1108749294.334376.210680@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>I lost my VZW phone and need a replacement, preferably not at full
> retail which seems to start around $150. Can anyone recommend a good
> phone to buy off ebay or similar?
>
> I don't want to re-up my contract for another 2 years because I hate
> the way VZW turns off phone features and gouges their customers for
> ringtones, etc. (But then again I need coverage on the DC metro so I'm
> trapped with Verizon I think)
>
> Can anyone recommend a good phone? I value small size first and would
> take ability to use as a modem of sorts for my laptop if I could get
> it.
>
> Thanks!
>
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 5:57:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> Good theory but if you show up with a VZN compatible COAM (customer owned
> and maintained) phone they will not provide service without the same one or
> two year contract. As to absorbing the cost of the phone I think (based on
> time spend inside the system) that you would be very very surprised at what
> the carriers actually pay for phones and accessories.

This is true. Awhile back I was going to bring my own phone to VZW for
use during a 6 month interim job, and they told my they'd hook me up
with no contract, but "promotional" features such as nights/weekends,
mobile-to-mobile, caller ID, voicemail, "local long distance" (within
state) or domestic long distance for that matter, and call waiting
because they are considered promotional. If I remember correctly it
would have been about $0.45/minute for long distance within state and
$0.30/minute for out of state domestic long distance.

TH
February 20, 2005 11:22:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Proconsul wrote on [Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:10:19 -0800]:
> Justin wrote:
>| Ira Hayes wrote on [Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:20:26 GMT]:
>|| "Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>|| news:37opn8F5bmndgU1@individual.net...
>|||
>||| "Ira Hayes"
>|||
>|||| I'm curious-- do you have any Verizon stock-- or own any mutual
>|||| funds in your retirement account that own Verizon stock? If you
>|||| do, I'd think you'd like *your* company (and you are an owner) to
>|||| maximize profits;-) It's
>||| not
>||| a
>|||| dirty word, you know...
>|||
>||| Ken Lay had a plan to maximize profits as well. Just because you
>||| can (legally) does not make the practice right.
>|||
>|||
>||
>|| Slip into your earth shoes, pull on your back pack, fluff up your
>|| ratty beard, replenish your granola and health food supply, retie
>|| your pony tail, check your stash, readjust your Save The Whales and
>|| Hug A Tree buttons and head for Canada--- you silly, naive,
>|| left-over 60's liberal hippy twit;-)
>|
>| So, raping the consumer is ok if it's legal?
>
> Stick to the point and reality - nobody is "raping" anyone. Market price is
> what a willing buyer will pay a willinng seller. There's nothing
> intrinsically evil about making a profit. If nobody made a profit, nobody
> would have anything - we'd all be equally miserable and equally unable to
> function.....

That's funny, looks like all sorts of people were raped by Enron.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:22:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Justin wrote:
>> Proconsul wrote on [Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:10:19 -0800]:
>>> Justin wrote:
>>>> Ira Hayes wrote on [Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:20:26 GMT]:
>>>>> "Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>>>> news:37opn8F5bmndgU1@individual.net...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> "Ira Hayes"
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I'm curious-- do you have any Verizon stock-- or own any mutual
>>>>>>> funds in your retirement account that own Verizon stock? If you
>>>>>>> do, I'd think you'd like *your* company (and you are an owner)
>>>>>>> to maximize profits;-) It's
>>>>>> not
>>>>>> a
>>>>>>> dirty word, you know...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Ken Lay had a plan to maximize profits as well. Just because you
>>>>>> can (legally) does not make the practice right.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Slip into your earth shoes, pull on your back pack, fluff up your
>>>>> ratty beard, replenish your granola and health food supply, retie
>>>>> your pony tail, check your stash, readjust your Save The Whales
>>>>> and Hug A Tree buttons and head for Canada--- you silly, naive,
>>>>> left-over 60's liberal hippy twit;-)
>>>>
>>>> So, raping the consumer is ok if it's legal?
>>>
>>> Stick to the point and reality - nobody is "raping" anyone. Market
>>> price is what a willing buyer will pay a willinng seller. There's
>>> nothing intrinsically evil about making a profit. If nobody made a
>>> profit, nobody would have anything - we'd all be equally miserable
>>> and equally unable to function.....
>>
>> That's funny, looks like all sorts of people were raped by Enron.

Enron wasn't the topic here, Verizon was/is....

Stick to the point instead of being "cute" - take a discussion of Enron to
an appropriate forum. Since you bring it up, Enron's execs will pay for
their crimes in a court of law, not in an Internet newsgroup.....:)  It's
also true that most of those who lost money have only themselves to blame
for investing stupidly - personal rectitude is rarely practiced these days,
adoption of the whining victim mentality is more common.....and it's
disgraceful.....

PC
February 21, 2005 12:05:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Proconsul wrote on [Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:46:57 -0800]:
> Justin wrote:
>>> Proconsul wrote on [Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:10:19 -0800]:
>>>> Justin wrote:
>>>>> Ira Hayes wrote on [Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:20:26 GMT]:
>>>>>> "Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>>>>> news:37opn8F5bmndgU1@individual.net...
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> "Ira Hayes"
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I'm curious-- do you have any Verizon stock-- or own any mutual
>>>>>>>> funds in your retirement account that own Verizon stock? If you
>>>>>>>> do, I'd think you'd like *your* company (and you are an owner)
>>>>>>>> to maximize profits;-) It's
>>>>>>> not
>>>>>>> a
>>>>>>>> dirty word, you know...
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Ken Lay had a plan to maximize profits as well. Just because you
>>>>>>> can (legally) does not make the practice right.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Slip into your earth shoes, pull on your back pack, fluff up your
>>>>>> ratty beard, replenish your granola and health food supply, retie
>>>>>> your pony tail, check your stash, readjust your Save The Whales
>>>>>> and Hug A Tree buttons and head for Canada--- you silly, naive,
>>>>>> left-over 60's liberal hippy twit;-)
>>>>>
>>>>> So, raping the consumer is ok if it's legal?
>>>>
>>>> Stick to the point and reality - nobody is "raping" anyone. Market
>>>> price is what a willing buyer will pay a willinng seller. There's
>>>> nothing intrinsically evil about making a profit. If nobody made a
>>>> profit, nobody would have anything - we'd all be equally miserable
>>>> and equally unable to function.....
>>>
>>> That's funny, looks like all sorts of people were raped by Enron.
>
> Enron wasn't the topic here, Verizon was/is....
>
> Stick to the point instead of being "cute"

The point was already Enron before someone called someone else a hippy
being "cute"

Or can't you read?
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 1:05:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Justin"
<snip>

| >>> That's funny, looks like all sorts of people were raped by Enron.
| >
| > Enron wasn't the topic here, Verizon was/is....
| >
| > Stick to the point instead of being "cute"
|
| The point was already Enron before someone called someone else a hippy
| being "cute"
|
| Or can't you read?

Some here can't tell an old time Republican from a hippy either ... AuH2O
in '64!!!
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 10:19:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Not Me wrote:
| "Justin"
| <snip>
|
||||| That's funny, looks like all sorts of people were raped by Enron.
|||
||| Enron wasn't the topic here, Verizon was/is....
|||
||| Stick to the point instead of being "cute"
||
|| The point was already Enron before someone called someone else a
|| hippy being "cute"
||
|| Or can't you read?
|
| Some here can't tell an old time Republican from a hippy either ...
| AuH2O in '64!!!

Amen!.......:) 

PC
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 2:02:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Not Me wrote:
> Some here can't tell an old time Republican from a hippy either ... AuH2O
> in '64!!!

In your heart you KNOW he was right.

--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
Never forgotten: Chane, Tigger, Koshka, Serenity, Rocky
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 2:02:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

clifto wrote:
| Not Me wrote:
|| Some here can't tell an old time Republican from a hippy either ...
|| AuH2O in '64!!!
|
| In your heart you KNOW he was right.

One can only wonder how much better the country would have been had he
defeated Johnson.....

PC
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:22:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message
news:9pgpe2-ida.ln1@remote.clifto.com...
| Not Me wrote:
| > Some here can't tell an old time Republican from a hippy either ...
AuH2O
| > in '64!!!
|
| In your heart you KNOW he was right.

The counter to that was ' ... yea ... far right.'
March 26, 2012 11:15:43 PM

Quote:
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon

One can only wonder how much better the country would have been had he
defeated Johnson.....

PC



Pardon me but did you say better or DEADER? :non:  :non: 
June 9, 2012 11:28:25 AM

This topic has been closed by Pyree
!