connecting to a remote printer on home network

my notebook win xp home is attached to a home network via d link .... there are 2 other computers (win xp's)on the network.. one is COMPUTER001 ....WITH A PRINTER hp deskjet 940c attached ..... the other is CATHERINE... AND ATTACHED TO THIS COMPUTER IS A PRINTER HP LASERJET 3200...I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET MY NOTEBOOK TO PRINT TO ONE OF THESE PRINTERS OR BOTH OF THEM... WHAT ARE THE STEPS
--
pat
8 answers Last reply

    Is the printer shared?

    See:
    http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20Five.htm
    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > my notebook win xp home is attached to a home network via d link ....
    > there are 2 other computers (win xp's)on the network.. one is COMPUTER001
    > ....WITH A PRINTER hp deskjet 940c attached ..... the other is
    > CATHERINE... AND ATTACHED TO THIS COMPUTER IS A PRINTER HP LASERJET
    > 3200...I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET MY NOTEBOOK TO PRINT TO ONE OF THESE
    > PRINTERS OR BOTH OF THEM... WHAT ARE THE STEPS
    > --
    > pat

    -- yes the printer is shared.

    I tried your article5 and it worked for connecting the printer on computer computeroo1 to catherine. However when I try to connect my notebook to computer001 printer or to catherine printer I get the message

    windows can not connect to the printer either the printer name was typed incorrectly or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server

    I an able to see in brouse for printer microsoft windows network
    work group
    catherine
    computer001

    I click on computer001 I get the hour glass then I click on next then a message comes up
    you need to specify a valid network printer name

    I type in the printer name.............. hp deskjet 940c series

    then I get the above ..... windows can not connect to the printer.....etc.

    what am i doing wrong? I have tried numerous times

    what to do?

    pat

    pat

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Is the printer shared?
    >
    > See:
    > http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20Five.htm
    > --
    > Cari
    > MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > my notebook win xp home is attached to a home network via d link ....
    > > there are 2 other computers (win xp's)on the network.. one is COMPUTER001
    > > ....WITH A PRINTER hp deskjet 940c attached ..... the other is
    > > CATHERINE... AND ATTACHED TO THIS COMPUTER IS A PRINTER HP LASERJET
    > > 3200...I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET MY NOTEBOOK TO PRINT TO ONE OF THESE
    > > PRINTERS OR BOTH OF THEM... WHAT ARE THE STEPS
    > > --
    > > pat

    Printer name is too long. Maximum of 13 characters and no spaces. Chech
    the Shared Name on the PC with the printer. Control Panel, Printers &
    Faxes, right click on the printer, select Properties... in the Sharing tab.

    > -- yes the printer is shared.
    >
    > I tried your article5 and it worked for connecting the printer on computer
    > computeroo1 to catherine. However when I try to connect my notebook to
    > computer001 printer or to catherine printer I get the message
    >
    > windows can not connect to the printer either the printer name was typed
    > incorrectly or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server
    >
    > I an able to see in brouse for printer microsoft windows network
    > work group
    > catherine
    >
    > computer001
    >
    > I click on computer001 I get the hour glass then I click on next then a
    > message comes up
    > you need to specify a valid network printer name
    >
    > I type in the printer name.............. hp deskjet 940c series
    >
    > then I get the above ..... windows can not connect to the printer.....etc.
    >
    > what am i doing wrong? I have tried numerous times
    >
    > what to do?
    >
    > pat
    >
    > pat
    >

    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Is the printer shared?
    >>
    >> See:
    >> http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20Five.htm
    >> --
    >> Cari
    >> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > my notebook win xp home is attached to a home network via d link ....
    >> > there are 2 other computers (win xp's)on the network.. one is
    >> > COMPUTER001
    >> > ....WITH A PRINTER hp deskjet 940c attached ..... the other is
    >> > CATHERINE... AND ATTACHED TO THIS COMPUTER IS A PRINTER HP LASERJET
    >> > 3200...I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET MY NOTEBOOK TO PRINT TO ONE OF THESE
    >> > PRINTERS OR BOTH OF THEM... WHAT ARE THE STEPS
    >> > --
    >> > pat

    the "share" printer name is "Printer" on "catherine" the computer with the one of the printers attached ( the name of this printer is HP LaserJet 3200 Series PCL)
    I also tried this "share" name and I get the same as before

    I also tried \\catherine\Printer
    and \\computer001\HP_940c
    in add printer wisard and get the same messageas in my previous posting

    what to do?
    --
    pat

    "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:

    > Printer name is too long. Maximum of 13 characters and no spaces. Chech
    > the Shared Name on the PC with the printer. Control Panel, Printers &
    > Faxes, right click on the printer, select Properties... in the Sharing tab.
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > -- yes the printer is shared.
    > >
    > > I tried your article5 and it worked for connecting the printer on computer
    > > computeroo1 to catherine. However when I try to connect my notebook to
    > > computer001 printer or to catherine printer I get the message
    > >
    > > windows can not connect to the printer either the printer name was typed
    > > incorrectly or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server
    > >
    > > I an able to see in brouse for printer microsoft windows network
    > > work group
    > > catherine
    > >
    > > computer001
    > >
    > > I click on computer001 I get the hour glass then I click on next then a
    > > message comes up
    > > you need to specify a valid network printer name
    > >
    > > I type in the printer name.............. hp deskjet 940c series
    > >
    > > then I get the above ..... windows can not connect to the printer.....etc.
    > >
    > > what am i doing wrong? I have tried numerous times
    > >
    > > what to do?
    > >
    > > pat
    > >
    > > pat
    > >

    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is the printer shared?
    > >>
    > >> See:
    > >> http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20Five.htm
    > >> --
    > >> Cari
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
    > >> www.coribright.com
    > >>
    > >> "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    You appear to have a space between HP and 940c. Shared names of Printers
    CANNOT have spaces in them.
    --

    > the "share" printer name is "Printer" on "catherine" the computer
    > with the one of the printers attached ( the name of this printer is HP
    > LaserJet 3200 Series PCL)
    > I also tried this "share" name and I get the same as before
    >
    > I also tried \\catherine\Printer
    > and \\computer001\HP_940c
    > in add printer wisard and get the same messageas in my previous posting
    >
    > what to do?
    > --
    > pat
    >

    > "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Printer name is too long. Maximum of 13 characters and no spaces. Chech
    >> the Shared Name on the PC with the printer. Control Panel, Printers &
    >> Faxes, right click on the printer, select Properties... in the Sharing
    >> tab.
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > -- yes the printer is shared.
    >> >
    >> > I tried your article5 and it worked for connecting the printer on
    >> > computer
    >> > computeroo1 to catherine. However when I try to connect my notebook to
    >> > computer001 printer or to catherine printer I get the message
    >> >
    >> > windows can not connect to the printer either the printer name was
    >> > typed
    >> > incorrectly or the specified printer has lost its connection to the
    >> > server
    >> >
    >> > I an able to see in brouse for printer microsoft windows network
    >> > work group
    >> >
    >> > catherine
    >> >
    >> > computer001
    >> >
    >> > I click on computer001 I get the hour glass then I click on next
    >> > then a
    >> > message comes up
    >> > you need to specify a valid network printer name
    >> >
    >> > I type in the printer name.............. hp deskjet 940c series
    >> >
    >> > then I get the above ..... windows can not connect to the
    >> > printer.....etc.
    >> >
    >> > what am i doing wrong? I have tried numerous times
    >> >
    >> > what to do?
    >> >
    >> > pat
    >> >
    >> > pat

    the name of the share printer is hp_940C
    is the character "_" the same as a apace?
    should I change the name of the share printer?
    --
    pat

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > You appear to have a space between HP and 940c. Shared names of Printers
    > CANNOT have spaces in them.
    > --
    > Cari
    > MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > the "share" printer name is "Printer" on "catherine" the computer
    > > with the one of the printers attached ( the name of this printer is HP
    > > LaserJet 3200 Series PCL)
    > > I also tried this "share" name and I get the same as before
    > >
    > > I also tried \\catherine\Printer
    > > and \\computer001\HP_940c
    > > in add printer wisard and get the same messageas in my previous posting
    > >
    > > what to do?
    > > --
    > > pat
    > >

    > > "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Printer name is too long. Maximum of 13 characters and no spaces. Chech
    > >> the Shared Name on the PC with the printer. Control Panel, Printers &
    > >> Faxes, right click on the printer, select Properties... in the Sharing
    > >> tab.
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > >> www.coribright.com
    > >>
    > >> "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I RENAMED THE COMPUTER "ANDREWP"

    STILL SAYS I HAVE OT SPELLED THE NAME CORRECTLY WHEN I ENTER THE PATHWAY \\ COMPUTER001\ANDREWP

    BY THE WAY I WAS ABLE TO CONNECT LACT WEEK WHAE TNE NAME OF THE COMPUTER WAS :\"HP_940c BUT THIS WEEKEND IT DISCONNECTED IT SELF SOMEHOW AGAIN IT DOESN'T SEEM TO STICK ONCE CONNECTED

    WHAT IS GOING ON?
    --
    pat

    "keogh" wrote:

    > the name of the share printer is hp_940C
    > is the character "_" the same as a apace?
    > should I change the name of the share printer?
    > --
    > pat
    >

    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > You appear to have a space between HP and 940c. Shared names of Printers
    > > CANNOT have spaces in them.
    > > --
    > > Cari
    > > MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
    > > www.coribright.com
    > >
    > > "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > the "share" printer name is "Printer" on "catherine" the computer
    > > > with the one of the printers attached ( the name of this printer is HP
    > > > LaserJet 3200 Series PCL)
    > > > I also tried this "share" name and I get the same as before
    > > >
    > > > I also tried \\catherine\Printer
    > > > and \\computer001\HP_940c
    > > > in add printer wisard and get the same messageas in my previous posting
    > > >
    > > > what to do?
    > > > --
    > > > pat

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I HAVE FIGURED OUT PART OF THE PROBLEM I THINK.

    THERE ARE 3 NETWORKED COMPUTERS WITH 2 ATTACHED PRINTERS
    CATHERINE HP LASERJET 3200 ATTACHED
    COMPUTER001 HP 940c ATTACHED
    AND THE WIRELESS LAPTOP THRU D-LINK NO PRINTER

    IN ADD PRINTER WIZZARD ....IN BROUSE FOR A PRINTER ON
    COMPUTER001 AND LAPTOP I SEE
    MICROSOFT WINDOWS NETWORK
    WORKGROUP
    CATHERINE
    COMPUTER001
    ANDREWP THE SHARE PRINTER NAME

    THE PRINTER ANDREWP I WAS ABLE TO CONNECT BECAUSE COMPUTER001 AND CATHERINE I COULD SEE ON MY LAPTOP AND COMPUTER001

    THE PROBLEM STILL IS THAT ON CATHERINE IN ADD PRINTER WIZARD IN BROUSE I SEE
    MICROSOFT WINDOWS NETWORK

    BUT WHEN I DOUBLE CLICK IT I SHOULD GET
    WORKGROUP

    BUT I DON'T I ONLY GET AN HOUR GLASS FOR 19 SECONDE OR SO

    WHY DOESN'T WORKGROUP COME UP
    THEN I COULD SEE CATHERINE AND COMPUTER001 AND I COULD CONNECT THE 2 PRINTERS WITH THE OTHER COMPUTERS

    --
    pat

    "keogh" wrote:

    > I RENAMED THE COMPUTER "ANDREWP"
    >
    > STILL SAYS I HAVE OT SPELLED THE NAME CORRECTLY WHEN I ENTER THE PATHWAY \\ COMPUTER001\ANDREWP
    >
    > BY THE WAY I WAS ABLE TO CONNECT LACT WEEK WHAE TNE NAME OF THE COMPUTER WAS :\"HP_940c BUT THIS WEEKEND IT DISCONNECTED IT SELF SOMEHOW AGAIN IT DOESN'T SEEM TO STICK ONCE CONNECTED
    >
    > WHAT IS GOING ON?
    > --
    > pat
    >

    > "keogh" wrote:
    >
    > > the name of the share printer is hp_940C
    > > is the character "_" the same as a apace?
    > > should I change the name of the share printer?
    > > --
    > > pat
    > >

    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > > > You appear to have a space between HP and 940c. Shared names of Printers
    > > > CANNOT have spaces in them.
    > > > --
    > > > Cari
    > > > MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
    > > > www.coribright.com
    > > >
    > > > "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Printers Notebooks Hewlett Packard Windows XP