connecting to a remote printer on home network

my notebook win xp home is attached to a home network via d link .... there are 2 other computers (win xp's)on the network.. one is COMPUTER001 ....WITH A PRINTER hp deskjet 940c attached ..... the other is CATHERINE... AND ATTACHED TO THIS COMPUTER IS A PRINTER HP LASERJET 3200...I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET MY NOTEBOOK TO PRINT TO ONE OF THESE PRINTERS OR BOTH OF THEM... WHAT ARE THE STEPS
--
pat

Is the printer shared?

See:
http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20Five.htm
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my notebook win xp home is attached to a home network via d link ....
> there are 2 other computers (win xp's)on the network.. one is COMPUTER001
> ....WITH A PRINTER hp deskjet 940c attached ..... the other is
> CATHERINE... AND ATTACHED TO THIS COMPUTER IS A PRINTER HP LASERJET
> 3200...I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET MY NOTEBOOK TO PRINT TO ONE OF THESE
> PRINTERS OR BOTH OF THEM... WHAT ARE THE STEPS
> --
> pat

-- yes the printer is shared.

I tried your article5 and it worked for connecting the printer on computer computeroo1 to catherine. However when I try to connect my notebook to computer001 printer or to catherine printer I get the message

windows can not connect to the printer either the printer name was typed incorrectly or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server

I an able to see in brouse for printer microsoft windows network
work group
catherine
computer001

I click on computer001 I get the hour glass then I click on next then a message comes up
you need to specify a valid network printer name

I type in the printer name.............. hp deskjet 940c series

then I get the above ..... windows can not connect to the printer.....etc.

what am i doing wrong? I have tried numerous times

what to do?

pat

pat

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Is the printer shared?
>
> See:
> http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20Five.htm
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
>
> "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > my notebook win xp home is attached to a home network via d link ....
> > there are 2 other computers (win xp's)on the network.. one is COMPUTER001
> > ....WITH A PRINTER hp deskjet 940c attached ..... the other is
> > CATHERINE... AND ATTACHED TO THIS COMPUTER IS A PRINTER HP LASERJET
> > 3200...I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET MY NOTEBOOK TO PRINT TO ONE OF THESE
> > PRINTERS OR BOTH OF THEM... WHAT ARE THE STEPS
> > --
> > pat

Printer name is too long. Maximum of 13 characters and no spaces. Chech
the Shared Name on the PC with the printer. Control Panel, Printers &
Faxes, right click on the printer, select Properties... in the Sharing tab.

> -- yes the printer is shared.
>
> I tried your article5 and it worked for connecting the printer on computer
> computeroo1 to catherine. However when I try to connect my notebook to
> computer001 printer or to catherine printer I get the message
>
> windows can not connect to the printer either the printer name was typed
> incorrectly or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server
>
> I an able to see in brouse for printer microsoft windows network
> work group
> catherine
>
> computer001
>
> I click on computer001 I get the hour glass then I click on next then a
> message comes up
> you need to specify a valid network printer name
>
> I type in the printer name.............. hp deskjet 940c series
>
> then I get the above ..... windows can not connect to the printer.....etc.
>
> what am i doing wrong? I have tried numerous times
>
> what to do?
>
> pat
>
> pat
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Is the printer shared?
>>
>> See:
>> http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20Five.htm
>> --
>> Cari
>> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > my notebook win xp home is attached to a home network via d link ....
>> > there are 2 other computers (win xp's)on the network.. one is
>> > COMPUTER001
>> > ....WITH A PRINTER hp deskjet 940c attached ..... the other is
>> > CATHERINE... AND ATTACHED TO THIS COMPUTER IS A PRINTER HP LASERJET
>> > 3200...I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET MY NOTEBOOK TO PRINT TO ONE OF THESE
>> > PRINTERS OR BOTH OF THEM... WHAT ARE THE STEPS
>> > --
>> > pat

the "share" printer name is "Printer" on "catherine" the computer with the one of the printers attached ( the name of this printer is HP LaserJet 3200 Series PCL)
I also tried this "share" name and I get the same as before

I also tried \\catherine\Printer
and \\computer001\HP_940c
in add printer wisard and get the same messageas in my previous posting

what to do?
--
pat

"Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:

> Printer name is too long. Maximum of 13 characters and no spaces. Chech
> the Shared Name on the PC with the printer. Control Panel, Printers &
> Faxes, right click on the printer, select Properties... in the Sharing tab.
> www.coribright.com
>
> "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > -- yes the printer is shared.
> >
> > I tried your article5 and it worked for connecting the printer on computer
> > computeroo1 to catherine. However when I try to connect my notebook to
> > computer001 printer or to catherine printer I get the message
> >
> > windows can not connect to the printer either the printer name was typed
> > incorrectly or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server
> >
> > I an able to see in brouse for printer microsoft windows network
> > work group
> > catherine
> >
> > computer001
> >
> > I click on computer001 I get the hour glass then I click on next then a
> > message comes up
> > you need to specify a valid network printer name
> >
> > I type in the printer name.............. hp deskjet 940c series
> >
> > then I get the above ..... windows can not connect to the printer.....etc.
> >
> > what am i doing wrong? I have tried numerous times
> >
> > what to do?
> >
> > pat
> >
> > pat
> >

> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Is the printer shared?
> >>
> >> See:
> >> http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20Five.htm
> >> --
> >> Cari
> >> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> >> www.coribright.com
> >>
> >> "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

You appear to have a space between HP and 940c. Shared names of Printers
CANNOT have spaces in them.
--

> the "share" printer name is "Printer" on "catherine" the computer
> with the one of the printers attached ( the name of this printer is HP
> LaserJet 3200 Series PCL)
> I also tried this "share" name and I get the same as before
>
> I also tried \\catherine\Printer
> and \\computer001\HP_940c
> in add printer wisard and get the same messageas in my previous posting
>
> what to do?
> --
> pat
>

> "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Printer name is too long. Maximum of 13 characters and no spaces. Chech
>> the Shared Name on the PC with the printer. Control Panel, Printers &
>> Faxes, right click on the printer, select Properties... in the Sharing
>> tab.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > -- yes the printer is shared.
>> >
>> > I tried your article5 and it worked for connecting the printer on
>> > computer
>> > computeroo1 to catherine. However when I try to connect my notebook to
>> > computer001 printer or to catherine printer I get the message
>> >
>> > windows can not connect to the printer either the printer name was
>> > typed
>> > incorrectly or the specified printer has lost its connection to the
>> > server
>> >
>> > I an able to see in brouse for printer microsoft windows network
>> > work group
>> >
>> > catherine
>> >
>> > computer001
>> >
>> > I click on computer001 I get the hour glass then I click on next
>> > then a
>> > message comes up
>> > you need to specify a valid network printer name
>> >
>> > I type in the printer name.............. hp deskjet 940c series
>> >
>> > then I get the above ..... windows can not connect to the
>> > printer.....etc.
>> >
>> > what am i doing wrong? I have tried numerous times
>> >
>> > what to do?
>> >
>> > pat
>> >
>> > pat

the name of the share printer is hp_940C
is the character "_" the same as a apace?
should I change the name of the share printer?
--
pat

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You appear to have a space between HP and 940c. Shared names of Printers
> CANNOT have spaces in them.
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
>
> "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > the "share" printer name is "Printer" on "catherine" the computer
> > with the one of the printers attached ( the name of this printer is HP
> > LaserJet 3200 Series PCL)
> > I also tried this "share" name and I get the same as before
> >
> > I also tried \\catherine\Printer
> > and \\computer001\HP_940c
> > in add printer wisard and get the same messageas in my previous posting
> >
> > what to do?
> > --
> > pat
> >

> > "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Printer name is too long. Maximum of 13 characters and no spaces. Chech
> >> the Shared Name on the PC with the printer. Control Panel, Printers &
> >> Faxes, right click on the printer, select Properties... in the Sharing
> >> tab.
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> >> www.coribright.com
> >>
> >> "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I RENAMED THE COMPUTER "ANDREWP"

STILL SAYS I HAVE OT SPELLED THE NAME CORRECTLY WHEN I ENTER THE PATHWAY \\ COMPUTER001\ANDREWP

BY THE WAY I WAS ABLE TO CONNECT LACT WEEK WHAE TNE NAME OF THE COMPUTER WAS :\"HP_940c BUT THIS WEEKEND IT DISCONNECTED IT SELF SOMEHOW AGAIN IT DOESN'T SEEM TO STICK ONCE CONNECTED

WHAT IS GOING ON?
--
pat

"keogh" wrote:

> the name of the share printer is hp_940C
> is the character "_" the same as a apace?
> should I change the name of the share printer?
> --
> pat
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > You appear to have a space between HP and 940c. Shared names of Printers
> > CANNOT have spaces in them.
> > --
> > Cari
> > MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> > www.coribright.com
> >
> > "keogh" <keogh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > the "share" printer name is "Printer" on "catherine" the computer
> > > with the one of the printers attached ( the name of this printer is HP
> > > LaserJet 3200 Series PCL)
> > > I also tried this "share" name and I get the same as before
> > >
> > > I also tried \\catherine\Printer
> > > and \\computer001\HP_940c
> > > in add printer wisard and get the same messageas in my previous posting
> > >
> > > what to do?
> > > --
> > > pat

I HAVE FIGURED OUT PART OF THE PROBLEM I THINK.

THERE ARE 3 NETWORKED COMPUTERS WITH 2 ATTACHED PRINTERS
CATHERINE HP LASERJET 3200 ATTACHED
COMPUTER001 HP 940c ATTACHED
AND THE WIRELESS LAPTOP THRU D-LINK NO PRINTER

IN ADD PRINTER WIZZARD ....IN BROUSE FOR A PRINTER ON
COMPUTER001 AND LAPTOP I SEE
MICROSOFT WINDOWS NETWORK
WORKGROUP
CATHERINE
COMPUTER001
ANDREWP THE SHARE PRINTER NAME

THE PRINTER ANDREWP I WAS ABLE TO CONNECT BECAUSE COMPUTER001 AND CATHERINE I COULD SEE ON MY LAPTOP AND COMPUTER001

THE PROBLEM STILL IS THAT ON CATHERINE IN ADD PRINTER WIZARD IN BROUSE I SEE
MICROSOFT WINDOWS NETWORK

BUT WHEN I DOUBLE CLICK IT I SHOULD GET
WORKGROUP

BUT I DON'T I ONLY GET AN HOUR GLASS FOR 19 SECONDE OR SO

WHY DOESN'T WORKGROUP COME UP
THEN I COULD SEE CATHERINE AND COMPUTER001 AND I COULD CONNECT THE 2 PRINTERS WITH THE OTHER COMPUTERS

--
pat