Sign in with
Your question

Single player RPG suggestion?

Last response: in Video Games
May 21, 2012 1:49:06 AM

I have a win7 64-bit computer. Not sure how to find the specs, I forget how. Anyway, I am looking for a single player rpg for win7. I know there are an awful lot of old games out there. How bout a more recent one. NOT The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, NOT Fallout, but new games BESIDES those? Please? I don't want a first person shooter, either, no Grand Theft Auto, but nice rpg single player for win7. Please help. Thanks.
May 21, 2012 2:41:37 AM

The Legend of Grimrock is probably one of the best RPGs to hit the PC in years. Looks fantastic and plays like a PC specific RPG should.
m
l
May 21, 2012 3:12:47 AM

Kingdoms of Amular or something like that find it on steam or thepiratebay its a cool game. Why no skyrim? D:
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2012 3:27:31 AM

When you say single player, do you mean 1 character to control, or just playing by yourself. Dragon Age: Origins is the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. It's a solid single player game. Diablo III just released this week, while you have to have an internet connection, you can play it solo.

Legend of Grimrock, while entertaining, is not exactly what I think games should be today, but the occasional game like it is ok. It's basically a late 80's early 90's style PC RPG, with 3D handled much the same as it was back then, only nicer looking. (you can't freely move, you move from grid location to the next).
m
l
May 21, 2012 11:09:55 AM

Without knowing your specs it's going be hard picking out a game that will run on your pc. But I will also go with Dragon Age: Origins, or Dragon Age 2 but that isn't as good as Origins.
m
l
May 21, 2012 2:45:19 PM

Mogen, in answer to "Why no skyrim? D:", it's just that I haven't even yet finished Oblivion, I don't know when I will get back to it, & I am not ready for it. Also, there is yucky decapitations in it. :p  & bystander, your question is "When you say single player, do you mean 1 character to control, or just playing by yourself?", I mean offline that I can play by myself, not have to worry about what other players think of me, not have to be at the mercy of dev's decisions and also something I could mod easily. Are these games you guys mentioned moddable? Actually, I have to have someone help me w/ modding, but I know in TES & such like that, there is a construction set which lets u edit the game & add what you want in it to play your way. I would like to know if these games like Dragon Age, Diablo, Legend of Grimrock, Kingdomes of Amular, etc are moddable? I wish there was a superhero single player game where I could have the option of playing a supervillain.
m
l
May 21, 2012 2:51:56 PM

Have a look at Neverwinter Knights series, also The Knights of the Old Rebublic, they are great RPG games that are offline. If you are a Star Wars fan have a look at The knight of the old republic :D 
m
l
May 21, 2012 3:01:07 PM

I have KoTOR 1 & 2. They are quite old, & KoTOR 2, I cannot install on my computer, as in order to update, you have to download a certain file, which is no longer available & I do not know enough about computers to be able to figure out how to do that nor what it means, or anything. I did try KoTOR 1, it looks ok so far,..I do have TES III & IV.... I wish there was a newer sequel to KoTOR, which could work better on my puter, but all they have is that multi-player game which I don't care for. I just wish also that there was a good single player replacement to games like DC Universe Online & City of Heroes.
m
l
May 21, 2012 6:19:33 PM

So you don't know enough about computers, but you expect to be able to mod?

We need to know your specs.

For instance witcher 1 and witcher 2 are both very good, but witcher 2 requires a decent amount power.
m
l
May 21, 2012 6:24:37 PM

I wish I DID know about computers! I must find a person to come & teach me to mod & stuff! How do I find my specs again?
m
l
May 31, 2012 12:32:26 AM

What about a superhero/supervillain single player game where you can optionally play a villain? Anyone know of anything like that? I know there are a couple of multi-player games like City of Heroes & DC Universe that have that, but I am looking for a single player! Any answers?
m
l
May 31, 2012 12:48:11 AM

If you enjoy RPG's so much why don't you get an emulator?
m
l
May 31, 2012 12:53:48 AM

What is an emulator?
m
l
May 31, 2012 1:00:14 AM

It's a program that people make that emulate their favourite consoles and handhelds. These range from N64's to PSP's and then you download RoMs which are just games in a computer format. You can get these Emulators and Roms from sites like Romhustler and Emulatorzone some of them are hard to get running but the pay off is fun and nostalgic. :D 
m
l
May 31, 2012 1:46:05 AM

You mean it can work on a windows pc but emulate xbox, playstation, etc.?
m
l
May 31, 2012 6:54:41 PM

You should find Kingdoms of Amular: The Reckoning enjoyable, it is a single player RPG. Bastion is quite good also.

I suggest you go to IGN.Com and search the reviews of PC RPG's over the past 2-3 years. There are quite a few of good ones that have come out. You can probably find them somewhat cheep on steam now.
m
l
May 31, 2012 7:49:54 PM

I do not even have steam, I am not familiar w/ it.
m
l
May 31, 2012 9:16:58 PM

danx. So you guys sure there are not super hero/villain single player pc games?
m
l
June 1, 2012 6:49:05 AM

Mass Effect trilogy.

m
l
June 1, 2012 7:02:14 AM

freewaydog said:
danx. So you guys sure there are not super hero/villain single player pc games?

Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City

Batman is a 3rd person action game with RPG elements where as you gain experience you gain access to new abilities and gadgets.
m
l
June 1, 2012 11:33:00 AM

Can u modify them? They sound rather linear. Are these Batman games all there is in single player hero/villain?
m
l
June 1, 2012 11:56:35 AM

Here are some cool RPG games you should try:

Diablo 3
Mass Effect
Deus Ex
Fable
Divinity II

Or you can just play emulator games like the others suggested... SNES has lots of cool old RPGs.
m
l
June 1, 2012 12:02:49 PM

The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Mass Effect Trilogy
Deus Ex
m
l
June 1, 2012 2:16:33 PM

There's X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Like Batman, it is a 3rd person action game with a little RPG element where you can customize abilities as you level up. Also a lot more violent and bloodier/gorier than Batman.
m
l
June 1, 2012 3:44:36 PM

Witcher 2.

Kingdoms of Amalur gets kind of boring after awhile. Fun game, but not as engrossing as witcher 2. Have fun.
m
l
June 14, 2012 3:21:59 PM

Mass Effect is definitely the way to go, great story line, great action gameplay, awesome characters. Do yourself a favor, play ME 1,2 and 3.
m
l
June 14, 2012 8:07:18 PM

Yeah, Mass Effect is one of those rare games that allows you to import you character from the previous since it is a continuing story. Therefore, the choices you make in Mass Effect 1 can change some story elements in Mass Effect 2. Combine that with the choices you make in Mass Effect 2 can have some significant effects in Mass Effect 3's story.

Mass Effect 3 is supposedly the final in the series, however, BioWare recommended that you keep your final saved game. Just in case....
m
l
June 14, 2012 8:52:41 PM

I would be stoked for a Mass Effect 4! Do it Bioware Do it! Lol
m
l
June 15, 2012 10:48:49 PM

:bounce:  FF is good series can use few on emulators... not latest IX - XIII-2 though. :bounce: 
m
l
Anonymous
December 7, 2012 3:53:55 PM

bystander said:
Dragon Age: Origins is the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate.

You, sir, are a retard. Dragon Age is an insult to Baldur's Gate. Spritual successor? Stfu. Baldur's Gate is it's own successor. Dragon Age is another cheaply made pile if crap that wants to play with the big boys. Get a grip.
m
l
December 17, 2012 12:26:05 AM

I still don't know the answer to my question!
m
l
December 17, 2012 12:46:20 AM

well as everyone here is recommending stuff lets make sure you can run it. go to run and type DXdiag it will bring up specs. were going to need to see the cpu and the video card
m
l
December 17, 2012 4:34:31 AM

Might aswell throw my own recommendations in here:'

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim (don't worry about not playing Oblivion, it's not really an issue)
Mass Effect triology (you can choose the "renegade" path wich is like being a villain)
Gothic 1 and 2 (1st and 2nd game is old but awesome, 3rd is crap, 4th is... fair)
Diablo III (imo only fun if you have enough time to farm properly and get the gear)
Witcher 2 (1st is fun but i didn't like the combat system and controls)
Borderlands 1 and 2 (both games are awesome and it's recommended to play them in order)
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition (dark, addictive RPG, my favorite game)

Im sure there are more great RPG's out there, but i haven't tried everything
m
l
December 17, 2012 2:32:28 PM

you could always checkout the stalker series of games with the complete mod
m
l
December 17, 2012 3:06:44 PM

During the Christmas sale, if Dishonored goes up for 50% or more off, buy it. Thank me later.
m
l
December 17, 2012 7:18:46 PM

Good single player rpg

Dragon Age and Dragon age

Final Fantasy 13 if your a fan

Fallout 1 and 2 if you can get the old school rpg

Emulate the business out of Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis.

Earthbound is delicious, Lufia 2 Rise of the sinistrals is amazing.

I can go on for days. :) 
m
l
December 17, 2012 7:28:06 PM

Serthy said:

Emulate the business out of Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis.

Wouldn't really broach this topic here, although as 16-bit RPG's go there are some great ones to try and track down and legally own. Shining Force 2, Phantasy Star IV, Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy VI, Landstalker, Beyond Oasis just to name a few.

On PC, the re-releases of the Ys series (Ys: Oath in Felghana and Ys: Origin) are also really good as far as retro rpg's worth playing go.
m
l
December 18, 2012 4:41:11 AM

Didn't think it was that big of a deal, but i understand.
m
l
Anonymous
January 10, 2013 5:28:57 PM

Quote:
You, sir, are a retard. Dragon Age is an insult to Baldur's Gate. Spritual successor? Stfu. Baldur's Gate is it's own successor. Dragon Age is another cheaply made pile if crap that wants to play with the big boys. Get a grip.

Before going berserk and calling people retarded, do some research! Dragon Age is indeed the spiritual successor of not only BG but also shares gameplay similarities with the Neverwinter series, even the KOTOR series. All these games have the Bioware atmosphere to them.

m
l
January 10, 2013 5:59:45 PM

I would recommend the elder scrolls, but as you have put those down I would recommend these.

The Witcher 1 and 2: WEll made RPG single player adventure game. You follow the character Gerald of Rivia. Fluid combat system with fun quests and a catching story line.

Diablo 2 and 3: Both greta rpgs i would just say Diablo 3, but Diablo 2 is a phenomenal game i spent lots of time on it. Great combat system and always fun. You keep coming back over and over with other modes and difficulty like inferno. Both are good games.

Dragon Age 1 and 2: Both good games you can create your character and story unique to your preferences. The cool part is your decisions from one game can transfer over to the other if you bring your toon from Dragon age 1 to Dragon age 2. Both are good games, but i would say that Dragon age has a better story line and dragon age has a less grasping story line and a improved combat system. Not to hate on either but they are both great.

Balder's Gate: Its a little older, but its a great game. One of my favorite games of all time. Great action RPG and would recommend it to anyone. Good combat system and a fun story. Long game too. Very customizable skill set and play styles.

Hope i helped and you will try one or all of these.

Thanks
m
l
!