Single player RPG suggestion?

freewaydog

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
I have a win7 64-bit computer. Not sure how to find the specs, I forget how. Anyway, I am looking for a single player rpg for win7. I know there are an awful lot of old games out there. How bout a more recent one. NOT The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, NOT Fallout, but new games BESIDES those? Please? I don't want a first person shooter, either, no Grand Theft Auto, but nice rpg single player for win7. Please help. Thanks.

When you say single player, do you mean 1 character to control, or just playing by yourself. Dragon Age: Origins is the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. It's a solid single player game. Diablo III just released this week, while you have to have an internet connection, you can play it solo.

Legend of Grimrock, while entertaining, is not exactly what I think games should be today, but the occasional game like it is ok. It's basically a late 80's early 90's style PC RPG, with 3D handled much the same as it was back then, only nicer looking. (you can't freely move, you move from grid location to the next).

geekintel

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Without knowing your specs it's going be hard picking out a game that will run on your pc. But I will also go with Dragon Age: Origins, or Dragon Age 2 but that isn't as good as Origins.

freewaydog

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
Mogen, in answer to "Why no skyrim? D:", it's just that I haven't even yet finished Oblivion, I don't know when I will get back to it, & I am not ready for it. Also, there is yucky decapitations in it. :p & bystander, your question is "When you say single player, do you mean 1 character to control, or just playing by yourself?", I mean offline that I can play by myself, not have to worry about what other players think of me, not have to be at the mercy of dev's decisions and also something I could mod easily. Are these games you guys mentioned moddable? Actually, I have to have someone help me w/ modding, but I know in TES & such like that, there is a construction set which lets u edit the game & add what you want in it to play your way. I would like to know if these games like Dragon Age, Diablo, Legend of Grimrock, Kingdomes of Amular, etc are moddable? I wish there was a superhero single player game where I could have the option of playing a supervillain.

alexinnes

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Have a look at Neverwinter Knights series, also The Knights of the Old Rebublic, they are great RPG games that are offline. If you are a Star Wars fan have a look at The knight of the old republic :D

freewaydog

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
I have KoTOR 1 & 2. They are quite old, & KoTOR 2, I cannot install on my computer, as in order to update, you have to download a certain file, which is no longer available & I do not know enough about computers to be able to figure out how to do that nor what it means, or anything. I did try KoTOR 1, it looks ok so far,..I do have TES III & IV.... I wish there was a newer sequel to KoTOR, which could work better on my puter, but all they have is that multi-player game which I don't care for. I just wish also that there was a good single player replacement to games like DC Universe Online & City of Heroes.

freewaydog

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
What about a superhero/supervillain single player game where you can optionally play a villain? Anyone know of anything like that? I know there are a couple of multi-player games like City of Heroes & DC Universe that have that, but I am looking for a single player! Any answers?

AndrewHitchcock96

Honorable
May 29, 2012
It's a program that people make that emulate their favourite consoles and handhelds. These range from N64's to PSP's and then you download RoMs which are just games in a computer format. You can get these Emulators and Roms from sites like Romhustler and Emulatorzone some of them are hard to get running but the pay off is fun and nostalgic. :D

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
You should find Kingdoms of Amular: The Reckoning enjoyable, it is a single player RPG. Bastion is quite good also.

I suggest you go to IGN.Com and search the reviews of PC RPG's over the past 2-3 years. There are quite a few of good ones that have come out. You can probably find them somewhat cheep on steam now.

liamking

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Here are some cool RPG games you should try:

Diablo 3
Mass Effect
Deus Ex
Fable
Divinity II

Or you can just play emulator games like the others suggested... SNES has lots of cool old RPGs.