Best cpu cooler for A7M mobo!

dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
I have an Asus A7M mobo and I just ordered a Tbird 1.2 266. I was interested in purchasing a silverado, but I've heard they're a bit heavy and big for a lot of mobos. Does anyone else have a cpu cooler for an A7M, and if so what kind, and do you like it? I want to go ahead and order it so I can have it shortly after my cpu arrives. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

paulcalmond

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
The Silverado heatsink fan (HSF) will fit an A7M266 motherboard, I have got one on mine, also with a 1.2GHz / 266 Athlon (Thunderbird).
As regards the weight being above the 300gm limit recommended by AMD, the advice is if you intend shipping your system anywhere then you should remove the HSF first, but if you are merely transporting the system a short distance, say by car, then you can leave the HSF on.

Another good heatsink is the Swiftech MC462-A Rev 1, which will also fit the A7M266. This is a more effective cooler than a Silverado but is more noisy as well.

dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
I keep hearing all these horror stories about people and the their A7M's having all sorts of problems w/ re-booting. Have you had any problems?

I'm glad to know the Silverado fits on the A7M. Ultimately that's the cooler I would like to get. Also do you overclock a lot? I don't really plan on overclocking, but is there a certain temp that I wouldn't want to exceed?

paulcalmond

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
I haven't had any problems with my A7M266 based system since I got it on 22 Feb 01.
So far I haven't really done any serious overclocking, as the A7M266 in standard form doesn't provide an easy way of altering the cpu clock multiplier, which means overclocking is limited to altering FSB speed. Whilst overclocking via FSB changes tend to give the greatest performance increase since memory, PCI and AGP clocks are also increased, so far I've only tried the FSB at 140MHz (1260Mhz cpu) briefly.

As for maximum temperatures AMD state the absolute max die temp is 95C for Athlon 1GHz and above. However as the motherboard mounted cpu temp. sensor is considered to be somewhat inaccurate, its probably best to leave a considerable safety margin. So to err on the side of caution I'd suggest an absolute maximum of 60C, and ideally below 50C.

With ambient temperature of 20C my temps are: motherboard = 25C, cpu = 42C with the Silverado running at 12V and cpu at 100% load (SETI running continuously)

dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
I visited the Silverado home page and they said an order would take 2 - 4 weeks, which is understandable coming from Germany, but I needed to get some kind of cooler so I got the Volcano II for the time being. I'll order the Silverado when I get some extra $$$, but for the time being I hope this will work okay. Thanks for your info!

paulcalmond

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
With regard to the 2-4 weeks delay when ordering a Silverado, mine took 8 days from ordering to delivery (to the U.K). Several other people who live in U.S.A have received their Silverado in 8-9 days also.