Trouble Finding A CPU Cooler

dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
I'm having the biggest struggle trying to find a good cpu cooler. Well, maybe good isn't the right word, because I'm sure there's lots of good ones out there. I want one that's cool, and not so loud. Now I know the Silverado would be the prime choice, but I'm not sure if it will fit on my mobo. I checked out Toms review of the 46 coolers, and I was checking out coolers that fell in the middle. Coolers that have a decent cooling performance and a decent noise level. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the Elan Vital coolers? Now I don't know a thing about coolers, and I doubt I'll overclock. I just want something good to keep my cpu cool and something that won't sound like a freight train. Any suggestions would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!

G

first off, you have to mention your system specs and what CPU your running.

based on other people's opinions, the thermaltake volcano II would do you good if you don't plan on overclocking, its quiet and it cost $8 over at newegg.com
you can also go for the Global win fop32-1, its good and pretty cheap and isnt as loud as its fop38 brother. the vantec fce-62540d is also good and reasonably priced, but be warned of its LOUD Delta 38 fan.

<font color=blue>"640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981</font color=blue>

dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
My specs are these

MB: Asus A7M266
CPU: Athlon 1.2 266
MEM: Micron 256 DDR
HD: IBM 60gxp 40g
VC: GF Ultra
SC: Philips Acoustic Edge
Toshiba DVD-ROM

I don't know if you need all of that, but thanks for those list of coolers. I'll have to check them out.

G

the quietest coolers with the best performance are the taisol (they just came out with a new one with a copper bottom, you can see it at their website), the silverado (difficult to get, the company is in Germany), and the zalman (the FHS or "flower heatsink" and the new CNPS 5000 are both good, but the CNPS 5000 may be too big for your board if an mc462 wouldn't fit it). As for whether an mc462 will fit an Asus A7M266, yes, the NEW version will (it has notches cut in it in order to clear capacitors around the socket. these notches don't significantly adversely affect performance that I'm aware of).

3C2X1(<b><i>Genius</i></b>).
Even though I'm a stranger, at least my average post is intelligent!