Sign in with
Your question

Best AMD processor?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 5, 2001 8:05:18 PM

Ok, I asked this question in a different way in the wrong forum, so here it goes again...
I want some opinions as to what AMD processor to buy, based on price/performace (but definitely erring on the side of performance).
Setup so far:
Abit KT7a-RAID
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 30g 7200 RPM ATA/100 (x2)
GeForce 2 MX
128 meg PC133 SDRAM

As for coolant:
ThermoEnginePRO (with the Delta fan)
Fans on Northbridge, GPU and 1 slot fan
Not sure about case fans, as I haven't purchased a case yet

Ok, I don't want to go water or Peltier (at least not now), so what processor should I get in regard to overclocking? I'm thinking maybe a 1.2 Athlon with the 266 bus and overclock the multiplier? Hmm...?

Thanks

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

More about : amd processor

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 5, 2001 10:14:25 PM

Go get the 1.0 ghz with stepping of AXIA, AVIA, or AXIAR and overclock it to 1.5 ghz. That is DEFINATELY the best price/performance ratio. (a 50% increase)

<font color=blue>"640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981</font color=blue>
June 6, 2001 2:34:35 PM

Here's a question: does a 1.5 processor generate the same amount of heat as a 1 overclocked to 1.5?

Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 6, 2001 3:31:03 PM

An OCed 1.0Ghz->1.5Ghz produces much more heat than a defaulted speed 1.5Ghz. The 1.5Ghz is made for it, different core construction, so less heat. This is why AMD doesn't produce faster chips so quick, they have to devise a 'different' core layout.

Yes, I'm the BOY who got Win98 to load in under 10 sec... ah....
June 6, 2001 6:29:53 PM

That's what I thought, so why is everyone telling me to buy a lower processor, and overclock the crap out of it, instead of buying a good processor to begin with?

June 6, 2001 8:33:39 PM

As Shiznit said the AXIA, AVIA, AXIAR. They all overclock well. There is also a new stepping, AYHJA, Read about it <A HREF="http://www.athlonoc.com/" target="_new">here</A> and <A HREF="http://www.athlonoc.com/AYHJA.php" target="_new">here</A> and <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com/tips487/" target="_new">especially here</A>. It it is claimed in the last article that this new AYHJA variant runs some 8 degrees cooler than the previous stepping.

Also, buy a retail, 266 mhz CPU you will be guaranteed to get the copper interconnects (better for overclocking)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 06/06/01 04:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 6, 2001 9:21:29 PM

If you guys know how to read, fatburger asked for the best price/performance ratio. spending an extra 50-70 bucks on the new 1.333ghz steppings and overclocking it to 1.5ghz does NOT have a better price/preformance ratio than a 1.0ghz o/c'ed to 1.5ghz.

<font color=blue>"640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981</font color=blue>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 6, 2001 9:45:37 PM

In regard to heat and overclocking...
Yes, the size of the core matters, but it is not the only factor.

The voltage of the CPU also makes a difference.

Example: A 1.0ghz CPU o/c @ 1.4ghz running at 1.75v runs cooler than a 1.3ghz overclocked to 1.4ghz with a voltage of 1.85v (assuming you have one of those 1.3ghz CPUs that has to have its voltage upped in order to keep it stable)

June 6, 2001 10:08:06 PM

I did not say anything about choosing a speed. For all I know the AYHJA stepping will be available at 1.0 ghz and for all you know it may overclock to 1.6 ghz and higher, if it really does run 8 degrees cooler. We will just have to wait and see won't we?

Personally, I feel price/performance depends on what you use your computer for. If you mostly use it for 3D games then you need to budget a better video card and sacrifice a little CPU speed if you must. If you are only into surfing the web and office applications then it doesn't really matter, 700 mhz is enough, 1 ghz is plenty. If your a programer or use high applications you need all the CPU you can afford plus plenty of memory. In all cases a high speed disk system helps alot but you don't have to go crazy for games or browsing if you are on a budget.

Price performance means different things to different people.
June 6, 2001 10:51:45 PM

Ok, I should've been clearer
Basically, I'm looking for the cheapest way to get the fastest processor I can

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 6, 2001 11:45:32 PM

Sorry, phsstpok (and you other fellaz)-- my comment was supposed to be addressed at fatburger.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 7, 2001 12:48:22 AM

Post deleted by Fredi
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 7, 2001 1:47:09 AM

You should check out my 1.0 <b><i>ZETTA HERTZ</i></b> CPU!! (Thats 10 to the 21st power)

June 7, 2001 2:38:31 AM

If that's all you are concerned with then go with an OEM processor and hope it will overclock. If you don't need RAID then you can go with an ABIT KT7E motherboard to save money. The KT7E shares the same basic design as the KT7 & KT7A but with a new KT-133e chipset (so far it is unique to Abit). Although, not officially certified by Abit to run a 133 mhz FSB the KT7E's seem to have no trouble overclocking to 145 mhz+. The drawbacks are they use SDRAM and limit you to only 4 IDE devices. The benefits, they use a mature design and cost only cost $88 (latest pricewatch price). The savings will allow you to spend more money on a faster CPU. It's up to you whether you want to overclock and how far but it is far from certain that you can run a 1.0 ghz AXIA (or any other core) at 1.5 ghz. Buying a retail CPU gives you the only reasonable guarantee of speed but you have to pay for more performance. Here are some pricewatch prices.

(Before anyone complains, this was just a quick check. I don't guarantee any accuracy).

(Always check <A HREF="http://www.resellerratings.com" target="_new">http://www.resellerratings.com&lt;/A> before buying from an online vendor).

T-birds

OEM - 200 mhz
1.0 ghz - $128
1.1 - $129
1.2 - $134
1.3 - $150

OEM - 266 mhz
1.0 ghz - $119 www.atacom.com
1.1 - $135
1.2 - $141
1.33 - $168
1.4 - $212

Retail Boxed - 200 mhz
1.0 - $150
1.1 - $149
1.2 - $167
1.3 - $189

Retail Boxed - 266 mhz
1.0 ghz - $158
1.1 - $170
1.2 - $168 www.cnetpc.com
1.33 - $216
1.4 - $238

As you can see, there isn't much savings going with a 200 mhz T-bird vs a 266 mhz one. You do save up to $40 going with a 266 mhz OEM T-bird vs a retail unit but remember you then have to spring for a HSF which would cost $20 or more. On the otherhand, if you are going to overclock you will want to go with a premium HSF. There are arguments that retail T-birds overclock better than OEM ones so this might justify some of the expense.

I don't know what is the best choice for you. However, pricewise, right now, it looks like an OEM, 266 mhz, 1.0 ghz at $119 is a great deal and so is a retail, 266 mhz, 1.2 ghz at $168.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 06/06/01 10:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 8, 2001 1:23:08 PM

"...An OCed 1.0Ghz->1.5Ghz produces much more heat than a defaulted speed 1.5Ghz. ..."

True statement as far as it goes. But there is more to it than that. I.e. if you stay within the same processor family, there may be no difference in temp between an overclocked chip and one meant torun at that speed. For example a 1Ghz or 1.2Ghz AXIA overclocked to 1333 will probably run at the same temps as a chip designed to run at 1333. Since everything from 1 Ghz to 1.4 ghz are all really the same chip, if you can reach the higher speed without voltage increases, it shouldnt matter. Now, when you go to 1.5 that is a different matter. No 1.5 chips exist from the factory right now, but when they do come out they will be on the next generation Athlon core (the palamino) that is already out for mobile and multi processor use. So all bets are off in that case.

Case and point: A friend of mine has an Athlon 1333 system he bought as a complete system from Gateway. I have an Alton C AXIA 1.2GHz. When I overclock my system to 1425 (9.5x150) Im still actually running cooler than he is. Not exactly a fair comparison though since he is running a "Brand" system you wouldnt expect it to do as well as mine.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ptmd on 06/08/01 09:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 11, 2001 3:26:49 PM

I wrote that statement as if a 1.5Ghz T-Bird existed. Sorry. I was in the same family.

Yes, I'm the BOY who got Win98 to load in under 10 sec... ah....
June 11, 2001 5:27:09 PM

AYHJA is the best core at the moment i think able to go up to 1.6-7 ghz with air cooling and stock voltage... i think... id seriously advise a bit more ram... 128 is not enough these days... i personally think 256 aint enough but thats just me...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong
June 11, 2001 5:36:43 PM

Well, I ordered a 1.2 Tbird today. I got that one because there was quite a big price difference between that and the 1.33. As for RAM, I have 256 right now, and I'm going to go pick up another 256 this afternoon.

June 11, 2001 5:40:04 PM

yeh good idea... 512 ram would be perfect... hope ur box lives up to expectations though the mx might let you down...

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 11, 2001 9:44:37 PM

AYHJA-the best core?
HAH!
I think not.
Those CPU with this core, the 1.333 and 1.4ghz, can definitely overclock between 1.6-1.7ghz.
But what is that? Thats only like a 23% to 30% increase! LOL!!!!

A 1.0ghz <b>AXIA</b>, on the other hand, can overclock easily between 1.4-1.5ghz.
Which is obviously a 40%-50% increase!!!

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>
June 11, 2001 10:10:40 PM

Yeah, my MX is nice (been very happy with it), but I'm waiting for the nv25. Then, I'll either get that, or the GeForce 3 (since the price will come down then).

June 12, 2001 1:00:11 PM

there are better cores than the AXIA the AYHJA gives the highest clock speed at the moment... the AXIA the highest percentage rise... wonder what tom will use in his next ultimate box...

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 12, 2001 9:34:06 PM

the new 1ghz AXIAR hit up to 1.6ghz, the 1.33ghz AYHJA hit around 1.7ghz...
!