Fax Preview

July 6, 2004 10:13:57 AM

Russ Valentine suggested that I post my question of June
29 to a newsgroup about operating system issues. Any
suggestions? the post is reproduced below:

When I first installed WinXP's Fax Printer, it worked very
nicely. As a power user, when I click the
button "Preview", the fax was presented in Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer.

I had to reformat my hard drive recently. I just re-
installed Fax Printer from the Add/Remove application. I
log in as an Administrator to perform installations.

Several odd things.

First: When I installed Fax Printer, the installer asked
for my MSOffice CD. I don't remember that the last time.
Why? Is there some forced integration?

Second: When I log in as a Power User and try to Preview a
fax, Adobe's Photoshop is launched. It would seem as if
TIF files have been mapped to Photoshop on my computer.
But in Administrator, I specifically mapped TIF and TIFF
files to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Interestingly,
according to the Folder Options>File Type tool, while
logged in as a power user, TIF and TIFF files are mapped
to Photoshop. As power user, I can't change the mapping
because the change button is grayed-out. How can I direct
the Fax Preview button to use Windows Picture and Fax
Viewer? Why does the mapping of TIF and TIFF files to
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer as Administrator fail to
apply to a power user?

More about : fax preview

Anonymous
July 6, 2004 8:56:01 PM

Since this is an issue that has to do with Windows XP setup, configuration
and user privileges (not fax) I would suggest posting in one of those
groups, such as:
windowsxp.configuration_manage
windowsxp.setup_deployment
windowsxp.security_admin
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Allen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Russ Valentine suggested that I post my question of June
> 29 to a newsgroup about operating system issues. Any
> suggestions? the post is reproduced below:
>
> When I first installed WinXP's Fax Printer, it worked very
> nicely. As a power user, when I click the
> button "Preview", the fax was presented in Windows Picture
> and Fax Viewer.
>
> I had to reformat my hard drive recently. I just re-
> installed Fax Printer from the Add/Remove application. I
> log in as an Administrator to perform installations.
>
> Several odd things.
>
> First: When I installed Fax Printer, the installer asked
> for my MSOffice CD. I don't remember that the last time.
> Why? Is there some forced integration?
>
> Second: When I log in as a Power User and try to Preview a
> fax, Adobe's Photoshop is launched. It would seem as if
> TIF files have been mapped to Photoshop on my computer.
> But in Administrator, I specifically mapped TIF and TIFF
> files to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Interestingly,
> according to the Folder Options>File Type tool, while
> logged in as a power user, TIF and TIFF files are mapped
> to Photoshop. As power user, I can't change the mapping
> because the change button is grayed-out. How can I direct
> the Fax Preview button to use Windows Picture and Fax
> Viewer? Why does the mapping of TIF and TIFF files to
> Windows Picture and Fax Viewer as Administrator fail to
> apply to a power user?
July 8, 2004 4:22:55 AM

Thanks for your quick reply.
!