XP won't install fax driver

I've been faxing every day for the last 6 months. All of a sudden, my faxes stopped sending. I go all the way through the fax wizard and nothing happends.

I unistalled the fax driver and clicked on the "Install a local fax printer" to reinstall it, but nothing happens. There is no new fax icon for me to use.

I even reinstalled my Compaq modem drivers and still, XP won't let me "Install a local fax printer".

I deperately need the ability to fax...any ideas?

What happens if you use Add/Remove in Control Panel to remove and reinstall
XP Fax?
What happened just before "All of a sudden?"
Error messages?
Event Viewer?

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Bruce Hemet" <Bruce Hemet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been faxing every day for the last 6 months. All of a sudden, my
faxes stopped sending. I go all the way through the fax wizard and nothing
happends.

> I unistalled the fax driver and clicked on the "Install a local fax
printer" to reinstall it, but nothing happens. There is no new fax icon for
me to use.

> I even reinstalled my Compaq modem drivers and still, XP won't let me
"Install a local fax printer".

> I deperately need the ability to fax...any ideas?

The Add/Remove of the Fax functions in the special Windows components did the trick...everything is working just as before.

FYI, Nothing happed just before "all of a sudden"...I installed no new software, I have no viruses etc. I receieved no Error messages. It just started going "flakey" on me...would fax about 50% of the time, then quit.

Your solution seemed to do the trick. Thank you.
------------------------------

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> What happens if you use Add/Remove in Control Panel to remove and reinstall
> XP Fax?
> What happened just before "All of a sudden?"
> Error messages?
> Event Viewer?
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Bruce Hemet" <Bruce Hemet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been faxing every day for the last 6 months. All of a sudden, my
> faxes stopped sending. I go all the way through the fax wizard and nothing
> happends.
> >
> > I unistalled the fax driver and clicked on the "Install a local fax
> printer" to reinstall it, but nothing happens. There is no new fax icon for
> me to use.
> >
> > I even reinstalled my Compaq modem drivers and still, XP won't let me
> "Install a local fax printer".
> >
> > I deperately need the ability to fax...any ideas?

Might want to make sure your modem is on the Windows XP HCL list and using
the latest drivers.