XP won't install fax driver

I've been faxing every day for the last 6 months. All of a sudden, my faxes stopped sending. I go all the way through the fax wizard and nothing happends.

I unistalled the fax driver and clicked on the "Install a local fax printer" to reinstall it, but nothing happens. There is no new fax icon for me to use.

I even reinstalled my Compaq modem drivers and still, XP won't let me "Install a local fax printer".

I deperately need the ability to fax...any ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about install driver

    What happens if you use Add/Remove in Control Panel to remove and reinstall
    XP Fax?
    What happened just before "All of a sudden?"
    Error messages?
    Event Viewer?

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Bruce Hemet" <Bruce Hemet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've been faxing every day for the last 6 months. All of a sudden, my
    faxes stopped sending. I go all the way through the fax wizard and nothing
    happends.

    > I unistalled the fax driver and clicked on the "Install a local fax
    printer" to reinstall it, but nothing happens. There is no new fax icon for
    me to use.

    > I even reinstalled my Compaq modem drivers and still, XP won't let me
    "Install a local fax printer".

    > I deperately need the ability to fax...any ideas?

    The Add/Remove of the Fax functions in the special Windows components did the trick...everything is working just as before.

    FYI, Nothing happed just before "all of a sudden"...I installed no new software, I have no viruses etc. I receieved no Error messages. It just started going "flakey" on me...would fax about 50% of the time, then quit.

    Your solution seemed to do the trick. Thank you.
    ------------------------------

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > What happens if you use Add/Remove in Control Panel to remove and reinstall
    > XP Fax?
    > What happened just before "All of a sudden?"
    > Error messages?
    > Event Viewer?
    >
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Bruce Hemet" <Bruce Hemet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've been faxing every day for the last 6 months. All of a sudden, my
    > faxes stopped sending. I go all the way through the fax wizard and nothing
    > happends.
    > >
    > > I unistalled the fax driver and clicked on the "Install a local fax
    > printer" to reinstall it, but nothing happens. There is no new fax icon for
    > me to use.
    > >
    > > I even reinstalled my Compaq modem drivers and still, XP won't let me
    > "Install a local fax printer".
    > >
    > > I deperately need the ability to fax...any ideas?

    Might want to make sure your modem is on the Windows XP HCL list and using
    the latest drivers.

    --
    > The Add/Remove of the Fax functions in the special Windows components did
    the trick...everything is working just as before.

    > FYI, Nothing happed just before "all of a sudden"...I installed no new
    software, I have no viruses etc. I receieved no Error messages. It just
    started going "flakey" on me...would fax about 50% of the time, then quit.

    > Your solution seemed to do the trick. Thank you.
    > ------------------------------
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    > > What happens if you use Add/Remove in Control Panel to remove and
    reinstall
    > > XP Fax?
    > > What happened just before "All of a sudden?"
    > > Error messages?
    > > Event Viewer?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Russ Valentine
    > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > "Bruce Hemet" <Bruce Hemet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I've been faxing every day for the last 6 months. All of a sudden, my
    > > faxes stopped sending. I go all the way through the fax wizard and
    nothing
    > > happends.
    > > >
    > > > I unistalled the fax driver and clicked on the "Install a local fax
    > > printer" to reinstall it, but nothing happens. There is no new fax icon
    for
    > > me to use.
    > > >
    > > > I even reinstalled my Compaq modem drivers and still, XP won't let me
    > > "Install a local fax printer".
    > > >
    > > > I deperately need the ability to fax...any ideas?

Fax Windows XP Printers