DSL and Fax on same phone line

For four years I had no problem with using my Winfax
Prosoftware to send and receive faxes on the same phone
line with DSL. I recently purchased a new computer with
Windows XP. I immediately started having problems
receiving faxes. I bought a new fax filter, tried to use
Windows Fax, upgraded to a better modem, and still no
solution. I deleted the Winfax and re-installed it after
re-installing the Lucent winmodem. That worked for a
while, then the problem started again.
Also,
I received a Window update notice about the updating the
Lucent modem driver to an Agere modem driver. Hoping
this would be the solution, I downloaded the update, but
get the message that this driver has not passed windows
logo testing to verify compatibility with windows XP.

Please help.
6 answers Last reply
More about phone line

    The best advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is
    listed on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest
    drivers.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    "Bill Burndrett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > For four years I had no problem with using my Winfax
    > Prosoftware to send and receive faxes on the same phone
    > line with DSL. I recently purchased a new computer with
    > Windows XP. I immediately started having problems
    > receiving faxes. I bought a new fax filter, tried to use
    > Windows Fax, upgraded to a better modem, and still no
    > solution. I deleted the Winfax and re-installed it after
    > re-installing the Lucent winmodem. That worked for a
    > while, then the problem started again.
    > Also,
    > I received a Window update notice about the updating the
    > Lucent modem driver to an Agere modem driver. Hoping
    > this would be the solution, I downloaded the update, but
    > get the message that this driver has not passed windows
    > logo testing to verify compatibility with windows XP.
    >
    > Please help.

    Russ, the Lucent winmodem came with the computer. It was
    listed on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List.
    Windows update invited me to update the modem driver.
    The Lucent driver update from Windows update is from
    Agere, but the update is not listed. why would Windows
    Update suppest an unapproved driver update?

    Also, I don't like XP fax.

    wrote in message
    >> For four years I had no problem with using my Winfax
    >> Prosoftware to send and receive faxes on the same phone
    >> line with DSL. I recently purchased a new computer
    with
    >> Windows XP. I immediately started having problems
    >> receiving faxes. I bought a new fax filter, tried to
    use
    >> Windows Fax, upgraded to a better modem, and still no
    >> solution. I deleted the Winfax and re-installed it
    after
    >> re-installing the Lucent winmodem. That worked for a
    >> while, then the problem started again.
    >> Also,
    >> I received a Window update notice about the updating
    the
    >> Lucent modem driver to an Agere modem driver. Hoping
    >> this would be the solution, I downloaded the update,
    but
    >> get the message that this driver has not passed
    windows
    >> logo testing to verify compatibility with windows XP.
    >>
    >> Please help.
    >

    >.

    Well, I guess you're not missing anything after all, then.
    I have yet to see a winmodem that works with XP Fax. Maybe someone else has.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    > Russ, the Lucent winmodem came with the computer. It was
    > listed on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List.
    > Windows update invited me to update the modem driver.
    > The Lucent driver update from Windows update is from
    > Agere, but the update is not listed. why would Windows
    > Update suppest an unapproved driver update?
    >
    > Also, I don't like XP fax.

    Not yet,but I try hard to avoid all modems! My Tablet has one, but it's
    never been used.
    www.coribright.com

    --
    sama

    My Lucent Winmodem works with no problems with my XP fax. Guess I'm
    lucky...

    "sama" <sama.1b3w07@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

    > Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
    > > *Well, I guess you're not missing anything after all, then.
    > > I have yet to see a winmodem that works with XP Fax. Maybe someone
    > > else has.
    > > --
    > > Russ Valentine
    > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Russ, the Lucent winmodem came with the computer. It was
    > > > listed on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List.
    > > > Windows update invited me to update the modem driver.
    > > > The Lucent driver update from Windows update is from
    > > > Agere, but the update is not listed. why would Windows
    > > > Update suppest an unapproved driver update?
    > > >
    > > > Also, I don't like XP fax.
    > > >
    > > > have a modem that is
    > > > using the latest
    > > > wrote in message