Erroneous printer error message.

July 7, 2004 4:58:05 AM

I have a slow laser printer without much memory. As a result, print jobs
take a lot of time, especially if many pages are involved. The spooler (I
guess) thinks the job failed and pops up a "Document failed to print" error
message. Windows 98 has a "Transmission retry" setting that deals with this
issue, but I can not find an equivalent setting for Windows XP Professional.
Is there any way to prevent this error message from being displayed?
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 8:06:37 PM

if this is attached to the LPT port, open the Printer Properties, Ports Tab
Config Port. Double the Transmission Retry value. The default is 90
seconds.

You have to reboot for this setting to become active.

There is not a setting for USB.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Stephen Brumbelow" <sbrumbe1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I have a slow laser printer without much memory. As a result, print jobs
> take a lot of time, especially if many pages are involved. The spooler (I
> guess) thinks the job failed and pops up a "Document failed to print"
error
> message. Windows 98 has a "Transmission retry" setting that deals with
this
> issue, but I can not find an equivalent setting for Windows XP
Professional.
> Is there any way to prevent this error message from being displayed?

Anonymous
July 8, 2004 2:12:22 AM

Allen,

The printer is hooked to a COM port because its parallel interface is not
smart enough to do flow control (it's a DEClaser 1152 PostScript printer).
I already have the Printer | Properties | Device Settings | Job Timeout set
to 0 and the Wait Timeout set to 300 seconds. Since the spooler is
reporting the error instead of the printer, those don't seem to help.

Thanks for your response,

Steve Brumbelow

"Alan Morris(MSFT)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o eWEFbHZEHA.3432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> if this is attached to the LPT port, open the Printer Properties, Ports
Tab
> Config Port. Double the Transmission Retry value. The default is 90
> seconds.
>
> You have to reboot for this setting to become active.
>
> There is not a setting for USB.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

rights.

> "Stephen Brumbelow" <sbrumbe1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > I have a slow laser printer without much memory. As a result, print
jobs
> > take a lot of time, especially if many pages are involved. The spooler
(I
> > guess) thinks the job failed and pops up a "Document failed to print"
> error
> > message. Windows 98 has a "Transmission retry" setting that deals with
> this
> > issue, but I can not find an equivalent setting for Windows XP
> Professional.
> > Is there any way to prevent this error message from being displayed?

July 8, 2004 4:25:14 PM

And you see the balloon notification pop after the 300 seconds? Turn this
off by:

1. Right-Click the system-tray (where the printer icon shows up when
something is printing; where the balloon pops up from).

2. Select Properties ("Taskbar and Start Menu Properties")

3. On the "Taskbar" Tab, click on Hide inactive icons, then "Customize"
button.

4. Under "Current Items" there should be a printer icon.

5. Change it's behavior from "Hide when inactive" to "Always hide".

--

> Allen,
>
> The printer is hooked to a COM port because its parallel interface is not
> smart enough to do flow control (it's a DEClaser 1152 PostScript printer).
> I already have the Printer | Properties | Device Settings | Job Timeout
set
> to 0 and the Wait Timeout set to 300 seconds. Since the spooler is
> reporting the error instead of the printer, those don't seem to help.
>
> Thanks for your response,
>
> Steve Brumbelow
>
> "Alan Morris(MSFT)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:o eWEFbHZEHA.3432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > if this is attached to the LPT port, open the Printer Properties, Ports
> Tab
> > Config Port. Double the Transmission Retry value. The default is 90
> > seconds.
> >
> > You have to reboot for this setting to become active.
> >
> > There is not a setting for USB.
> >
> > --
> > Alan Morris
> > Windows Printing Team
> > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> rights.
> >
> > "Stephen Brumbelow" <sbrumbe1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > > I have a slow laser printer without much memory. As a result, print
> jobs
> > > take a lot of time, especially if many pages are involved. The spooler
> (I
> > > guess) thinks the job failed and pops up a "Document failed to print"
> > error
> > > message. Windows 98 has a "Transmission retry" setting that deals
with
> > this
> > > issue, but I can not find an equivalent setting for Windows XP
> > Professional.
> > > Is there any way to prevent this error message from being displayed?

Anonymous
July 15, 2004 4:38:46 AM

Actually, it seems to come up just after the printer starts printing
the first page of the first document. It goes away when it starts
printing the second page. It definitely does not wait 300 seconds.

SB

!