Duron non-starter, HELP!

McEwin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello,

I am building my brothers PC for him. As he wanted scanner/printer/zip etc all unter £900 (yes I'm British) I got the totally cheap but still honest (and overclockable) Duron 800. This is coupled to an Abit KT7A mobo. As we only had the weekend to get it sorted we decided to link the 4 L1 bridges before trying the chip for the first time. We tested a 5 B pencil and found it to be very conductive! V E R Y C A R E F U L L Y we connected the bridges and made sure that they were done correctly.

However once the system was complete it won't boot. The power would light up for about a second and then shut itself off whenever the power button was pressed. By removing the processor the power would turn on but of cause nothing posted on the screen.

We totally removed the pencil markings but still behaves in exactly the same way.

I need to return it tommorrow unless anyone has the foggiest idea what I could try or what the problem is.

MAny thanks
McEwin.

PS I have eliminated all other periphals, so I know its either the mobo or the CPU. (or the PSU that came with the enlight EN7237 case.)

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
or the memory or video card - you need all of this to boot a pc up.

A little more information - what settings are you using on the cpu etc.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

McEwin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I tested both the Video and the memory, they seem to be okay, I'll try the fan thing though, I had it attached to FAN header 2. Note that it says nothing about shutting down in the manual....

Thanks a lot Guys,

McEwin

McEwin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thats ALL I had to [-peep-] do.... it works fine now....
thanks a lot chaps, I wonder if dabs would have figured that out?!

McHAPPYEwin

PS heres the spec if you want to comment:
Duron 800
collermaster 6I11 (~1.4Ghz)
128 PC133 cl2
IBM gxp60 20Gb
floppy
Zip 100 internal
Creative 52x
Kryo II graphics
SB 128
SupraExpress 56i PRO
Enlight EN2372
Hansol 710P
logitech internet kboard
logitech wheel optical
Epson 790 PHOTO
Agfa e20 scanner
All < £900 brand new.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Muk on 06/11/01 08:51 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
One of the earlier BIOSes, WW I think, shutdown the computer after 10 seconds. This gave one enough time to go into the BIOS setup and shut off the feature.

I guess Abit decided that 10 seconds was too long if someone were to turn on their computer without first attaching a HSF. Thus, the change to a 3 second delay. Since a lot of people use these oversized, overpowered fans that can't be attached to fan headers, I think the whole scheme is just annoying.

I would hope that Abit would eventually include this little tidbit of information in the manual. :mad:

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I got my kt7a raid a few weeks ago, and in with the board was a photocopied piece of paper saying the fan MUST be connected to the correct fan header,so it looks like they may have had a lot of complaints (or suggestions!)

Next time you wave - use all your fingers