A question for EQ1 players about the future of EQ2

I was just wondering how EQ1 worked with all the expansions and if EQ2 will
go the same way.

I'm kinda worried that once I hit 50 (It will be awhile!), I will be left
with a game where everyone is lvl 50 and there is nothing to do.

How does this stuff work in EQ1? Are there simply no lower level players in
EQ1, is everyone lvl 50? I kinda like the whole character progression and
really dont fancy being stuck on the same level without anything to aim at.
I of course plan of creating new characters so at least I will have that.

I'm not even sure how new content works. Is it simply adding new locations
and equipment? Has EQ1 changed much from it's initial release?
17 answers Last reply
More about question players future

    "Cheddar" <me@there.net> wrote in message
    >I was just wondering how EQ1 worked with all the expansions and if EQ2 will
    > go the same way.
    >
    > I'm kinda worried that once I hit 50 (It will be awhile!), I will be left
    > with a game where everyone is lvl 50 and there is nothing to do.
    >
    > How does this stuff work in EQ1? Are there simply no lower level players
    > in
    > EQ1, is everyone lvl 50? I kinda like the whole character progression and
    > really dont fancy being stuck on the same level without anything to aim
    > at.
    > I of course plan of creating new characters so at least I will have that.
    >
    > I'm not even sure how new content works. Is it simply adding new locations
    > and equipment? Has EQ1 changed much from it's initial release?

    Due to expansions players on EQ1 can now level all the way to 70. Players
    who max out at 70 then put all their experience into Alternate Advance
    points to gain additional abilities.

    I'm on the Stromm server on EQ1 and it's thriving. Lots of players
    throughout the level ranges.

    Most of the additional content involves additional zones and mobs. The new
    Dragons of Norrath just went live about a week ago and people seem to be
    enjoying it.

    Hope this helps.

    Lou
    Heckyoubus - Level 55 Enchanter
    Stromm

    Cheddar scribbled:
    > I was just wondering how EQ1 worked with all the expansions and if
    > EQ2 will go the same way.
    >
    > I'm kinda worried that once I hit 50 (It will be awhile!), I will be
    > left with a game where everyone is lvl 50 and there is nothing to do.

    In EQ1, there's always raiding or camping items or getting
    AAXP (Alternate Advancement, skills/abilities like increased
    mana regen, natural running speed, etc.)

    > How does this stuff work in EQ1? Are there simply no lower level
    > players in EQ1, is everyone lvl 50? I kinda like the whole character
    > progression and really dont fancy being stuck on the same level
    > without anything to aim at. I of course plan of creating new
    > characters so at least I will have that.

    Lots of people never get to the level cap (and it's now 70 in
    EQ, not 50.)

    > I'm not even sure how new content works. Is it simply adding new
    > locations and equipment? Has EQ1 changed much from it's initial
    > release?

    Yes, new content is new locations (with new mobs) and new
    equipment. And, yes, EQ has changed immensely since it
    was released -- other continents, a moon, a large number of
    Planes, along with additional zones added to the old locations.

    Cheddar wrote:
    > I was just wondering how EQ1 worked with all the expansions and if
    EQ2 will
    > go the same way.

    EQ1 was a learning process (ie no one really had a clue what was going
    on) for the industry as much as it was for the playerbase. Things have
    changed since then; the industry believes it understands MMOGs better
    now; and one of the 'articles of faith' now is "You will have
    expansions, so plan for them." So in theory EQ2's development should
    follow a smoother and more coherent plan. In theory.

    I think I read somewhere that EQ2's core engine was designed from
    scratch to support levels up to 200, so who knows what it will look
    like in a few years.

    > I'm kinda worried that once I hit 50 (It will be awhile!), I will be
    left
    > with a game where everyone is lvl 50 and there is nothing to do.

    Remember, they want you to keep p(l)aying - they will provide you with
    stuff to do :) Population pressure in high level areas (this was before
    the concept of instancing) was one of the major drivers for EQ1's first
    expansion.

    > How does this stuff work in EQ1? Are there simply no lower level
    players in
    > EQ1, is everyone lvl 50? I kinda like the whole character progression
    and
    > really dont fancy being stuck on the same level without anything to
    aim at.
    > I of course plan of creating new characters so at least I will have
    that.

    Max level now is actually 70, but the principle is the same. There are
    a substantial number of people at level 70, but I would say the
    majority of *characters* are below 70. A long time ago (first half of
    2002 I think - after Luclin, before PoP, so when the max level was 60),
    someone at Sony mentioned in passing 'Over half of all accounts have a
    character over 50', and of course almost without exception a given
    character levels *up*, but like you most people like creating new
    characters, and we all start at level 1.

    > I'm not even sure how new content works. Is it simply adding new
    locations
    > and equipment?

    Well, that's pretty much all the 'content' there is :) Oh, and new mobs
    :) EQ2 has an obvious 'in story' way to add new content - oh look,
    there's a new island the mariners have found that they were too scared
    to visit before there were level 60 players to protect them... Oh look
    there's been an earthquake and a new island has risen from beneath the
    waves... Oh look the mariners have developed better boats that can
    travel further - and they've found a new island... You get the idea.
    EQ1 had to invent whole new continents.

    > Has EQ1 changed much from it's initial release?

    That's far too broad a question for me to even consider answering,
    except to say: Yes *and* no.

    --
    Larry Lard
    Rplies to group please

    "Cheddar" <me@there.net> wrote in

    > I was just wondering how EQ1 worked with all the expansions and if EQ2
    > will go the same way.
    >
    > I'm kinda worried that once I hit 50 (It will be awhile!), I will be
    > left with a game where everyone is lvl 50 and there is nothing to do.
    >
    > How does this stuff work in EQ1? Are there simply no lower level
    > players in EQ1, is everyone lvl 50? I kinda like the whole character
    > progression and really dont fancy being stuck on the same level
    > without anything to aim at. I of course plan of creating new
    > characters so at least I will have that.
    >
    > I'm not even sure how new content works. Is it simply adding new
    > locations and equipment? Has EQ1 changed much from it's initial
    > release?

    There were new people coming into EQ1 for a long time, heck, I didn't
    start until just prior to the second expansion coming out. The first two
    expansions for EQ were excellent, the third one was good, after that
    things started going downhill. There were still plenty of people joining
    the game at that stage, but PoP was probably the biggest step in the
    downhill slide for EQ1, at least for me. I do still play, but basically
    only to raid now. There is no telling what direction expansions will
    take in EQ2, judging from the patches though, they are listening to the
    customers, perhaps too much, much as the started to do with EQ1.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 27 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 28 Provisioner

    larrylard@hotmail.com wrote in news:1110387333.324382.290010
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > Cheddar wrote:
    >> I'm not even sure how new content works. Is it simply adding new
    >> locations and equipment?
    >
    > Well, that's pretty much all the 'content' there is :) Oh, and new mobs
    >:) EQ2 has an obvious 'in story' way to add new content - oh look,
    > there's a new island the mariners have found that they were too scared
    > to visit before there were level 60 players to protect them... Oh look
    > there's been an earthquake and a new island has risen from beneath the
    > waves... Oh look the mariners have developed better boats that can
    > travel further - and they've found a new island... You get the idea.
    > EQ1 had to invent whole new continents.

    How about discover whole new continents? Really, it's no different from
    EQ2 in that regard. A new area suddenly pops up, regardless of what
    storyline is put forward to explain it. EQ1 also had increasing maximum
    levels over time, so you could explain away in exactly the same manner as
    you just did for EQ2.

    >> Has EQ1 changed much from it's initial release?
    >
    > That's far too broad a question for me to even consider answering,
    > except to say: Yes *and* no.

    No question at all, it has changed hugely since it's initial release.
    Some say for the better, some say for the worse, most probably think a
    mixture of the two. Overall, I'd say for the worse, but some of the
    changes were definitely for the better.

    --

    Cheddar wrote:

    > I was just wondering how EQ1 worked with all the expansions and if EQ2 will
    > go the same way.
    >
    > I'm kinda worried that once I hit 50 (It will be awhile!), I will be left
    > with a game where everyone is lvl 50 and there is nothing to do.
    >
    > How does this stuff work in EQ1? Are there simply no lower level players in
    > EQ1, is everyone lvl 50? I kinda like the whole character progression and
    > really dont fancy being stuck on the same level without anything to aim at.
    > I of course plan of creating new characters so at least I will have that.
    >
    > I'm not even sure how new content works. Is it simply adding new locations
    > and equipment? Has EQ1 changed much from it's initial release?

    LOL Drastically mate, it's changed drastically.

    * Somewhere in the region of I think 3 new continents I believe it is,
    around the size of Antonica each I think they are...roughly. There's
    also the planes and all the instanced zones.

    * The level cap went from 50 to 70

    * They uprooted the Trolls, moved them to a totally new city after an
    invasion by the Frogloks, who took over the Trolls starting city

    * They pretty much totally replaced the graphics engine over time,
    bringing in a DirectX powered engine making use of modern hardware,
    which I was always quite impressed by.

    * Quite a lot of new content...probably thousands of items by now, not
    to mention all the new quests

    * They added in the Plane of Knowledge portal system, which cut travel times

    * A number of new races were added, and a few new classes too

    The list extends much further but that gives you an example of just what
    to expect, and just how far they've gone to change original EverQuest. I
    expect similar from EQ2.

    --
    Michael Greenhalgh
    ---

    EverQuest 2:
    Miglok | Half-Elf Predator | Lavastorm

    City of Heroes:
    Shadow Ranger | Mutation Scrapper | Virtue
    ---

    Thanks for all the feedback :)

    EQ1 sounds huge, if I had the time i'd love to grab all the expansions and
    start a game.

    Sadly playing both seems like a full time job so I will stick with EQ2.

    I was reading up on the EQ2 graphics engine and according to everything I
    have read it does seem to be setup for the future. Hopefully this will mean
    that as I upgrade the PC the game will look even better.

    > Thanks for all the feedback :)
    >
    > EQ1 sounds huge, if I had the time i'd love to grab all the expansions
    > and start a game.
    >
    > Sadly playing both seems like a full time job so I will stick with
    > EQ2.
    >
    > I was reading up on the EQ2 graphics engine and according to
    > everything I have read it does seem to be setup for the future.
    > Hopefully this will mean that as I upgrade the PC the game will look
    > even better.

    A friend of mine just recently replaced her old video card with an ATi
    9800 Pro, she is constantly going on about all the cool things she is
    seeing now that she never saw before.

    --

    "Cheddar" wrote:
    > I was just wondering how EQ1 worked with all the expansions and if EQ2
    will
    > go the same way.
    >
    > I'm kinda worried that once I hit 50 (It will be awhile!), I will be left
    > with a game where everyone is lvl 50 and there is nothing to do.
    >
    > How does this stuff work in EQ1? Are there simply no lower level players
    in
    > EQ1, is everyone lvl 50? I kinda like the whole character progression and
    > really dont fancy being stuck on the same level without anything to aim
    at.
    > I of course plan of creating new characters so at least I will have that.
    >
    > I'm not even sure how new content works. Is it simply adding new locations
    > and equipment? Has EQ1 changed much from it's initial release?

    As a newbie EQ1 player (started November 2004), I can't answer a lot of
    this. However, there are a lot of players at all levels on the Bristlebane
    server (that's the only server I play on). I've also run into players that
    are even newer to EQ1 than I am.

    I just got OoW and DoN but I'm nowhere near being able to "use" them yet.
    At this point I have no desire to get involved in EQ2. I'm thoroughly
    enjoying EQ1 and hope it sticks around long enough for me to really get into
    it.

    ~Deborah~

    Kentigern - Level 19 Barbarian/Shaman
    Vaerity - Level 11 Gnome/Paladin

    "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > "Cheddar" <me@there.net> wrote in
    >
    >> Thanks for all the feedback :)
    >>
    >> EQ1 sounds huge, if I had the time i'd love to grab all the expansions
    >> and start a game.
    >>
    >> Sadly playing both seems like a full time job so I will stick with
    >> EQ2.
    >>
    >> I was reading up on the EQ2 graphics engine and according to
    >> everything I have read it does seem to be setup for the future.
    >> Hopefully this will mean that as I upgrade the PC the game will look
    >> even better.
    >>

    > A friend of mine just recently replaced her old video card with an ATi
    > 9800 Pro, she is constantly going on about all the cool things she is
    > seeing now that she never saw before.

    Apparently the video clips that SoE use to show off EQ2 are not pre rendered
    clips at all, they are actual game footage taken using some extra settings
    on the engine not currently available to users.

    It was stated that they used the absolute top quality setup to create these
    clips but even so it really shows just how impressive the engine is. I cant
    wait for a year or so to when the technology filters down to the customer.
    Not that that game doesnt look great anyway :)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:58:32 +0000, Michael Greenhalgh
    <spammy@tripleb.co.uk> wrote:
    >* They pretty much totally replaced the graphics engine over time,
    >bringing in a DirectX powered engine making use of modern hardware,
    >which I was always quite impressed by.

    God, this brings back memories... in the early days, the only way to
    get a decent graphical experience was to own a 3dfx card because the
    whole thing was originally meant to be a Glide-only engine. It's hard
    to believe people were still targeting a proprietary API back then,
    but Glide games made 3dfx cards sing, and 3dfx dominated.

    DirectX support was added as an afterthought, and it took until the...
    hmmm... DX6? upgrade for other cards to start working well. I think
    other cards worked before that, but they all had at least one major
    flaw it seemed.

    I believe I was running a Voodoo2 SLI rig when I got EQ originally,
    then upgraded to the mistake that was the Voodoo3 solely because I was
    paranoid about non-3dfx cards' performance in EQ. After the Voodoo3 I
    switched to nVidia. I'm now a few generations behind on my video card
    (it's a GF4 Ti4200), but I don't really care anymore. I used to be
    one of those nuts that upgraded to the latest $300 card as soon as it
    came out, but then I got married. :)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:22:29 GMT, "~Deborah~"
    <deborah@thoughtsinterruptedNOSPAM.com> wrote:
    >As a newbie EQ1 player (started November 2004), I can't answer a lot of
    >this. However, there are a lot of players at all levels on the Bristlebane
    >server (that's the only server I play on). I've also run into players that
    >are even newer to EQ1 than I am.
    >
    >I just got OoW and DoN but I'm nowhere near being able to "use" them yet.
    >At this point I have no desire to get involved in EQ2. I'm thoroughly
    >enjoying EQ1 and hope it sticks around long enough for me to really get into
    >it.

    It makes me happy that there are still at least some true newbies
    having fun in EQ1. Do you try to get into groups or solo mostly?
    Level 19 for the first time... ahhh, those were the days. It's never
    quite the same again. ;)

    In article <hnb3315b94fsbbii1kgt6nshsrsbvjdat2@4ax.com>,
    spamblock@blockit.com says...
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:58:32 +0000, Michael Greenhalgh
    > <spammy@tripleb.co.uk> wrote:
    > >* They pretty much totally replaced the graphics engine over time,
    > >bringing in a DirectX powered engine making use of modern hardware,
    > >which I was always quite impressed by.
    >
    > God, this brings back memories... in the early days, the only way to
    > get a decent graphical experience was to own a 3dfx card because the
    > whole thing was originally meant to be a Glide-only engine. It's hard
    > to believe people were still targeting a proprietary API back then,
    > but Glide games made 3dfx cards sing, and 3dfx dominated.

    /boggle.

    What exactly do you think DirectX is? An open standard?

    Its Microsofts *proprietary* API.

    I'm still surprised OpenGL didn't win more game developers over,
    especially with how bad the early directX api's actually were to code
    against. (And the fact that porting from glide to openGL was pretty
    easy, as glide wasn't much more than a performance optimized subset of
    openGL anyway.)

    But the war isn't over, OpenGL is still firmly entrenched in the
    professional tier of graphics workstations and that's showing no signs
    of changing anytime soon, ...and with OS X and Linux slowly gaining
    marketshare OpenGL may still have a future in games if developers want
    to write more portable games. And with titles like Doom III out there as
    demonstrations of what OpenGL can do... its still got good visibility.

    > DirectX support was added as an afterthought, and it took until the...
    > hmmm... DX6? upgrade for other cards to start working well. I think
    > other cards worked before that, but they all had at least one major
    > flaw it seemed.
    >
    > I believe I was running a Voodoo2 SLI rig when I got EQ originally,
    > then upgraded to the mistake that was the Voodoo3 solely because I was
    > paranoid about non-3dfx cards' performance in EQ. After the Voodoo3 I
    > switched to nVidia.

    I ran a TNT or TNT2 Ultra I think when EQ came out, and the only problem
    was utter night blindness in many places even when carrying a GLS due to
    bad vertex lighting support.

    > I'm now a few generations behind on my video card
    > (it's a GF4 Ti4200), but I don't really care anymore. I used to be
    > one of those nuts that upgraded to the latest $300 card as soon as it
    > came out, but then I got married. :)

    Heh. Priority Shift =)

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:39:37 GMT, ~Deborah~ wrote:

    > We're spending a lot of time in Butcherblock (good for plat and levelling up
    > at lower levels) with our lower level characters and Kurn's tower (really
    > fast for levelling up) for the higher characters. We're thinking about
    > moving on to Paludal (sp?) Caverns. It's supposed to be good for high teens
    > to thirty or so, or so I've heard.

    I wouldn't go to the zones just to "level up". Take some time and explore
    the other zones (there are *many*). I think that's what killed the fun for
    so many people was going to a few select zones to "level". Take your time
    and enjoy the game (at least the first time around). On the other hand if
    you're only playing to level then by all means visit the "hot" zones.
    --
    RJB
    3/14/2005 9:59:37 AM

    Sometimes the need to mess with their heads outweighs the millstone of
    humiliation.
    --Fox Mulder (X-Files)

    Cheddar wrote:
    > I'm kinda worried that once I hit 50 (It will be awhile!), I will be
    left
    > with a game where everyone is lvl 50 and there is nothing to do.

    I can't answer it about EQ1, but I can answer what there is to do in
    EQ2. I guess that makes this slightly off-topic :P

    There are a bunch of level 50 raids in the game already. I know Ant,
    TS, Zek, Feer, CL, PF, CT, and LS all have level 50 raid instances, and
    I'm pretty sure I missed some. Some zones have level 50 raids that are
    not instanced, so you race against other guilds to get them. Even if
    you are not in a raiding guild, there maybe options open to you for
    raiding. There is an alliance on our server that is a pseudo-guild
    made up of players from a bunch of different guilds that raid together.

    You can hit level 50 in tradeskilling. I know a lot of people that
    tried that, and then realized it really wasn't for them and found other
    things to do.

    With the new mentoring system, you can go back and mentor lower levels
    and experience those zones all over again. You can also get quest
    starters when you mentor others.

    Speaking of quests, they do not gray out now. You can finish any
    quests in your journal that you haven't bothered to finish by then. At
    level 50, I am just now starting the PGT and Manastone quests.

    You can also start up an alt. They are going to be increasing the
    number of character slots up to 6 or 10 (for regular and All Access),
    which gives you some room for experimenting. You can use that as an
    opportunity to fill out roles in your guild that they are deficient in.
    I know of three people who started Bard alts for something to do
    between raids, and their guilds are short of them.

    Personally, I've been helping people with Heritages, completing my
    Heritages and Hallmarks (To Speak as a Dragon is going down next), and
    mentoring people. I haven't found a shortage of things to do yet,
    especially with being able to effectively pick your level by mentoring.

    - Scritchy

    "~Deborah~" <deborah@thoughtsinterruptedNOSPAM.com> wrote in

    > "The Other John" wrote:
    >> It makes me happy that there are still at least some true newbies
    >> having fun in EQ1. Do you try to get into groups or solo mostly?
    >> Level 19 for the first time... ahhh, those were the days. It's never
    >> quite the same again. ;)
    >
    > Actually, most of my playing time is spent with my husband and/or my
    > older brother (it's all his fault my husband and I are now playing,
    > Bro has been playing since the beginning). On occasion we group up
    > which is fun, too. Although we've been offered places in a couple
    > guilds, we haven't joined any yet.
    >
    > We're spending a lot of time in Butcherblock (good for plat and
    > levelling up at lower levels) with our lower level characters and
    > Kurn's tower (really fast for levelling up) for the higher characters.
    > We're thinking about moving on to Paludal (sp?) Caverns. It's
    > supposed to be good for high teens to thirty or so, or so I've heard.

    Paludal is great xp for level 8 to 23 or 24, it tapers off quickly around
    there.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 29 Provisioner

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:39:37 GMT, "~Deborah~"
    <deborah@thoughtsinterruptedNOSPAM.com> wrote:
    >We're spending a lot of time in Butcherblock (good for plat and levelling up
    >at lower levels) with our lower level characters and Kurn's tower (really
    >fast for levelling up) for the higher characters. We're thinking about
    >moving on to Paludal (sp?) Caverns. It's supposed to be good for high teens
    >to thirty or so, or so I've heard.

    Yeah, Paludal makes the xp flow fast. I "discovered" it in the early
    days of Luclin back when Lake of Ill Omen was THE zone for those
    levels. LOIO was disturbingly crowded, and I would frequently be the
    ONLY one in Paludal. Hard to believe; people weren't willing to check
    out new zones, even in the expansion they just bought. Some guildies
    and I then decided to group our (untwinked) alts there, and our xp
    moved so fast we felt like we were exploiting. We had our pick of all
    the bandit camps, and could pull constantly for hours with zero
    downtime, fighting multiples the whole time. It was frantic and fun.

    Last time I was there it was overcrowded, and hard to get into a good
    group. People fought over spawnpoints, charged each other of
    killstealing, etc. I imagine it's different now...

Games Video Games