net use LPT1 - Access denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am trying to setup DOS printing from the cmd prompt and
get prompted for username on a network print share. This
only happens if a non-Admin user logs in.

The print share is on a Win2K server. From the WinXP PC I
issue the 'net use lpt1: \\server\printshare statement.
It immediately prompts me for a username. No matter what
user name I enter, it returns an 'Error 5 Access denied'
message.

Please advise.

A security change in XP prevents a user mapping to a real device. Use LPT2
or LPT3

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313644&Product=winxp
Non-Administrators Cannot Remap an LPT Port to a Network Printer

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team