Closed

net use LPT1 - Access denied.

I am trying to setup DOS printing from the cmd prompt and
get prompted for username on a network print share. This
only happens if a non-Admin user logs in.

The print share is on a Win2K server. From the WinXP PC I
issue the 'net use lpt1: \\server\printshare statement.
It immediately prompts me for a username. No matter what
user name I enter, it returns an 'Error 5 Access denied'
message.

Please advise.
1 answer Last reply
More about lpt1 access denied

    A security change in XP prevents a user mapping to a real device. Use LPT2
    or LPT3

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313644&Product=winxp
    Non-Administrators Cannot Remap an LPT Port to a Network Printer

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Jeff Dwyer" <myfirstinitialLastname@johnsoninv.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to setup DOS printing from the cmd prompt and
    > get prompted for username on a network print share. This
    > only happens if a non-Admin user logs in.
    >
    > The print share is on a Win2K server. From the WinXP PC I
    > issue the 'net use lpt1: \\server\printshare statement.
    > It immediately prompts me for a username. No matter what
    > user name I enter, it returns an 'Error 5 Access denied'
    > message.
    >
    > Please advise.

LPT1 Windows XP