Returning EQ1 player...

Last response: in Video Games
March 8, 2005 7:46:22 PM

Ok, after a couple of years of Xbox and my deepest online experience
being Halo 2, I'm ready to get back into EQ1. I've been out of EQ1
for so long that I don't know if I'll know what to do.

I have Kunark, Velious, Luclin, PoP and LoY... I plan on getting LDoN
(maybe upgrade to the others later). Here are my questions:

1. What are the "prime" zones for a level 52 druid? I usually soloed
with him (most recently in Cobalt Scar), but would like a good zone
for pickup groups if there is one. He's not very well equipped, but
then, he's a druid :)  Is there a better solo zone for him these days?

2. The other char I'm interested in playing is a 40 chanter. Is it
all but hopeless for him to find good groups these days? If not,
where should I try to find them? Is LDoN good for him?

3. What's the population like on Lanys T'Vyl these days? Pleasantly
underpopulated? Barren wasteland? Is it a likely candidate for a
merger?

Thanks for the pointers... I know this group used to get flooded with
"where do I hunt?" questions; but since it's so quiet here I hope no
one minds.

More about : returning eq1 player

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 2:53:32 AM

The Other John <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote in

> Ok, after a couple of years of Xbox and my deepest online experience
> being Halo 2, I'm ready to get back into EQ1. I've been out of EQ1
> for so long that I don't know if I'll know what to do.
>
> I have Kunark, Velious, Luclin, PoP and LoY... I plan on getting LDoN
> (maybe upgrade to the others later). Here are my questions:

you have most of the important ones but you really should look into one
of the packages that has the ones you are missing. The newest expansion
is mainly geared to higher level people but having the guild hall is
good for all levels. you can probably get a pack that includes all
expansions except the last one for around 30 bucks.

> 1. What are the "prime" zones for a level 52 druid? I usually soloed
> with him (most recently in Cobalt Scar), but would like a good zone
> for pickup groups if there is one. He's not very well equipped, but
> then, he's a druid :)  Is there a better solo zone for him these days?

LOL! my druid is stuck at 52 right now. I don't play much because I let
my hubby play most of the time. Been 52 for about 4 months or so.

> 2. The other char I'm interested in playing is a 40 chanter. Is it
> all but hopeless for him to find good groups these days? If not,
> where should I try to find them? Is LDoN good for him?

It's hard getting groups anywhere any level. LDoN isn't as popular as
it was when it first started but you'll occasionally see people trying
to get together a group for one.

> 3. What's the population like on Lanys T'Vyl these days? Pleasantly
> underpopulated? Barren wasteland? Is it a likely candidate for a
> merger?

IMO, all the servers are candidates for mergers. Check out the newbie
zones, practically ghost towns. I play mainly on Bertoxx.

> Thanks for the pointers... I know this group used to get flooded with
> "where do I hunt?" questions; but since it's so quiet here I hope no
> one minds.

I think the quiet is a function of all the new games people have gone
off to play. They'll be back, they always come crawling back to EQ.
I'm guilty of that one, I can't seem to shake my Evercrack addiction.

Have fun
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 9:52:37 AM

"The Other John" <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote in message
> Ok, after a couple of years of Xbox and my deepest online experience
> being Halo 2, I'm ready to get back into EQ1. I've been out of EQ1
> for so long that I don't know if I'll know what to do.
>
> I have Kunark, Velious, Luclin, PoP and LoY... I plan on getting LDoN
> (maybe upgrade to the others later). Here are my questions:

My advice to you is

dont go back

head over to EQ2 and check it out, EQ1 is slowly turning into a game where
those that are level 70 are the only ones staying around
March 9, 2005 6:38:23 PM

The Other John <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote in

> Ok, after a couple of years of Xbox and my deepest online experience
> being Halo 2, I'm ready to get back into EQ1. I've been out of EQ1
> for so long that I don't know if I'll know what to do.
>
> I have Kunark, Velious, Luclin, PoP and LoY... I plan on getting LDoN
> (maybe upgrade to the others later). Here are my questions:
>
> 1. What are the "prime" zones for a level 52 druid? I usually soloed
> with him (most recently in Cobalt Scar), but would like a good zone
> for pickup groups if there is one. He's not very well equipped, but
> then, he's a druid :)  Is there a better solo zone for him these days?

If you don't have DoN and OOW, you may find pickup groups rather
sparse...

> 2. The other char I'm interested in playing is a 40 chanter. Is it
> all but hopeless for him to find good groups these days? If not,
> where should I try to find them? Is LDoN good for him?

LDoN is good at all levels, but, there are a lot fewer people doing LDoN
now, most have moved on to DoN and OOW zones at this point.

> 3. What's the population like on Lanys T'Vyl these days? Pleasantly
> underpopulated? Barren wasteland? Is it a likely candidate for a
> merger?

No clue.

> Thanks for the pointers... I know this group used to get flooded with
> "where do I hunt?" questions; but since it's so quiet here I hope no
> one minds.

Not at all, it's gotten relatively dead here compared to what it used to
be like.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 27 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 28 Provisioner
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 6:40:17 PM

"Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote in

> "The Other John" <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote in message
>> Ok, after a couple of years of Xbox and my deepest online experience
>> being Halo 2, I'm ready to get back into EQ1. I've been out of EQ1
>> for so long that I don't know if I'll know what to do.
>>
>> I have Kunark, Velious, Luclin, PoP and LoY... I plan on getting LDoN
>> (maybe upgrade to the others later). Here are my questions:
>
> My advice to you is
>
> dont go back
>
> head over to EQ2 and check it out, EQ1 is slowly turning into a game
> where those that are level 70 are the only ones staying around

It's quite possible he is correct, being level 70, I don't check out the
population of under 60 much. I hear good stuff about WoW as well, and I
do enjoy EQ2 so far anyway.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 27 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 28 Provisioner
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 7:31:14 PM

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> "Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote in

Yeah the recent changes in EQ2 are great. The mentoring system is fantastic
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 8:56:23 PM

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:53:32 GMT, Bebinn <bebinn@invalid.com> wrote:

>LOL! my druid is stuck at 52 right now. I don't play much because I let
>my hubby play most of the time. Been 52 for about 4 months or so.

My druid probably set the record for slowest leveling dr00d. Probably
because I didn't cave in to quad kiting until level 51, and spent an
inordinate amount of time screwing around.

>The Other John <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote in
>> 2. The other char I'm interested in playing is a 40 chanter. Is it
>> all but hopeless for him to find good groups these days? If not,
>> where should I try to find them? Is LDoN good for him?
>>
>It's hard getting groups anywhere any level. LDoN isn't as popular as
>it was when it first started but you'll occasionally see people trying
>to get together a group for one.

I don't like the sound of that. I'll have to try and hook up with old
guildmates and hope they have alts. Although most of the ones I was
good friends with moved on to WoW (bastards).

>I think the quiet is a function of all the new games people have gone
>off to play. They'll be back, they always come crawling back to EQ.
>I'm guilty of that one, I can't seem to shake my Evercrack addiction.

I wonder though... this is the first time there's been such an obvious
and drastic decline. I wonder if their EQ2 strategy may have
backfired: they split their own user base while losing others to other
games.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:32:48 PM

Graeme Faelban wrote:

> "Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

>>"The Other John" <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Ok, after a couple of years of Xbox and my deepest online experience
>>>being Halo 2, I'm ready to get back into EQ1. I've been out of EQ1
>>>for so long that I don't know if I'll know what to do.
>>>
>>>I have Kunark, Velious, Luclin, PoP and LoY... I plan on getting LDoN
>>>(maybe upgrade to the others later). Here are my questions:
>>
>>My advice to you is
>>
>>dont go back
>>
>>head over to EQ2 and check it out, EQ1 is slowly turning into a game
>>where those that are level 70 are the only ones staying around
>>

> It's quite possible he is correct, being level 70, I don't check out the
> population of under 60 much. I hear good stuff about WoW as well, and I
> do enjoy EQ2 so far anyway.

As a major EQ1 fan, I'd actually suggest WoW having finally been drawn
into playing it...I find it to be that little bit closer to the EQ1
style than EQ2 is. Not meaning to cause any flamewars as I also really
like EQ2 (and knowing the lore of Norrath, EQ2 has that little extra
place in my heart), but it's just my experience that while WoW is a bit
cartoonish and simplistic in places, it's also a lot like EQ1 in the
places that count to me (the mechanics of mobs, the freedom of
exploration, the freedom in grouping and also the way players can
interact and aren't restricted in aiding total strangers)

--
Michael Greenhalgh
---

EverQuest 2:
Miglok | Half-Elf Predator | Lavastorm

City of Heroes:
Shadow Ranger | Mutation Scrapper | Virtue
---
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:57:39 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:32:48 +0000, Michael Greenhalgh
<spammy@tripleb.co.uk> wrote:
>As a major EQ1 fan, I'd actually suggest WoW having finally been drawn
>into playing it...I find it to be that little bit closer to the EQ1
>style than EQ2 is. Not meaning to cause any flamewars as I also really
>like EQ2 (and knowing the lore of Norrath, EQ2 has that little extra
>place in my heart), but it's just my experience that while WoW is a bit
>cartoonish and simplistic in places, it's also a lot like EQ1 in the
>places that count to me (the mechanics of mobs, the freedom of
>exploration, the freedom in grouping and also the way players can
>interact and aren't restricted in aiding total strangers)

I considered WoW, but I don't really feel like learning a new game.
I'm afraid it'll be disappointing as I pine for the "good old days" of
EQ. Of course, at this point EQ is like a new game anyway.

I admit it, I'm nostalgic for a video game. Kinda sad. But then I
still have a working Atari 2600 that I fire up sometimes. I hope some
day, several years down the road, SoE allows (stripped down) private
servers to be put up, or maybe keeps a server going for free for us
old timers.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 5:47:41 PM

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:32:48 +0000, Michael Greenhalgh
> <spammy@tripleb.co.uk> wrote:
>>As a major EQ1 fan, I'd actually suggest WoW having finally been drawn
>>into playing it...I find it to be that little bit closer to the EQ1
>>style than EQ2 is. Not meaning to cause any flamewars as I also really
>>like EQ2 (and knowing the lore of Norrath, EQ2 has that little extra
>>place in my heart), but it's just my experience that while WoW is a bit
>>cartoonish and simplistic in places, it's also a lot like EQ1 in the
>>places that count to me (the mechanics of mobs, the freedom of
>>exploration, the freedom in grouping and also the way players can
>>interact and aren't restricted in aiding total strangers)
>
> I considered WoW, but I don't really feel like learning a new game.
> I'm afraid it'll be disappointing as I pine for the "good old days" of
> EQ. Of course, at this point EQ is like a new game anyway.

The EQ of today is very different from the EQ of a few years ago.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 23 Sage
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 29 Provisioner
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 10:36:03 PM

think the quiet is a function of all the new games people have gone
off to play. They'll be back, they always come crawling back to EQ.
I'm guilty of that one, I can't seem to shake my Evercrack addiction.

Agree. I left EQ1 when EQ2 came out, and I returned just last week.
But for me the reason was that I am one a wireless DSL conenction which
really is horrible when trying to download patches, additional material
etc and the delay really inhibits group play so I usually solo. I
finally got sick of the aggrevation, copied the files to a DVD. I'll
probably go back to EQ2 if 1) they ever run in fiber optics into this
techo blacohole, so i can get connected via a cable modem, or 2) move
to a location where I have access to it. *DiectWay* is not a good way
to play EQ2. But surprisingly I have NO problems with EQ1. The
additional material and patches downloads just fine.

davidN.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:00:28 AM

> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:53:32 GMT, Bebinn <bebinn@invalid.com> wrote:
> >
> >I think the quiet is a function of all the new games people have gone
> >off to play. They'll be back, they always come crawling back to EQ.
> >I'm guilty of that one, I can't seem to shake my Evercrack addiction.
>
> I wonder though... this is the first time there's been such an obvious
> and drastic decline. I wonder if their EQ2 strategy may have
> backfired: they split their own user base while losing others to other
> games.

Highly unlikely this has anything to do with EQ2 which *only* boosts about
350.000 subscribers, which is about the same number of people who bought WoW on
the first weekend in USA (yeah... 1 weekend!!!!! $$$) Everyone is off playing
WoW, not EQ2.

:)
!