Bad performance with GTX 580

Gilatar

Honorable
May 23, 2012
So I bought a new PC two months ago, and just after a couple of days it refused to start, I got it replaced and everything worked correctly until now. I have no idea what the problem was, but I think it had to do with the power supply.

Now, I could record Minecraft with full settings at around 30+ FPS with Fraps without any noticeable drop in frames, I think it stayed at about 80 all the time. Now it goes up and down between 30-80 FPS all the time. Sometimes the game FPS locks at 30.

I also get bad performance in BF3. Sudden framedrops, 30-40 FPS all at max. settings when I used to play it with a stable 60FPS.
Also, without using any mods/shaders/tweaking tools for BF3 the graphics look kind of blurry and unsharpened at max. settings. Without Anti-Aliasing it just looks jagged and odd. It's nothing like what I've seen from various gameplay videos on YouTube.

The ground textures seem to load slowly regardles of if anti-aliasing is turned on or not, and I've experienced this in lots of other games as well. All sorts of textures load poorly. (Dead Island, Gotham City Impostors which actually runs at 20-30 FPS, Counter-Strike: GO, Tribes Ascend, Sniper Elite V2).

Does the resolution I play games in (1920x1080) matter?

Specs (let me know if I miss any important details, I'm not exactly an expert):

* Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.2GHZ 4 Cores

* 12GB RAM

* Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

* NVIDIA GTX 580 1,535 GB

* 600W Power Supply

Here's a link to the site I bought it at, it's in Norwegian but you might be able to use Google Translate and understand most of what it says: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=660004#extra

my guess would be faulty psu. hp are notorious for putting underpowered power units in there pc. it may say 600 but its likely that its 500 or less continuous and 600 peak.. thus the up and down performance.

get cpu-z, gpu-z, real temp and hwmonitor... run them all while your gaming leaving them to update n the background.
things to check for. use cpu-z to check vdroop on the cpu. then unstable voltages outside the ranges listed in hwmonitor, on gpu-z check the vrm are stable and not bouncing erratically nor overheating. check the gfx cards actual voltages make sure there not drooping while the card is under load... if you see this it points to an overstressed psu...
even with mods you should be getting massive fps in minecraft... as it only needs a 128mb card to max it out visually....

Uther39

Distinguished
They were also renowned for using re-furbished mobos with cheap chinese capacitors for new builds.

All is not lost, buy yourself a new case, mobo and psu and move all your existing good components over.

If you do decide to do this, then let us no if you need the right direction for your new components.

Gilatar

Honorable
May 23, 2012
To be honest I'm tempted to just sell this one and save up some more money and buy a new one, doing proper research and such this time.

I'll try to do what HEXit says if I can figure out how to actually use those programs.

Gilatar

Honorable
May 23, 2012
The temperatures seem to go from 40°C to 61°C. That's the only thing I've found out so far.

How do I actually find the other stuff?

TRENDING THREADS