Sign in with
Your question

Lian-Li PC-60 Case cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 12, 2001 9:44:18 PM

I am having some problems getting my case as cool as I might like it. If anyone has a one of these cases, I'd love to hear what you've done to cool off your OC rig. My thoughts right now are to 1) get heftier 80mm fans and 2) maybe install a duct to the CPU. 3) maybe get round cables.

Thanks!

More about : lian case cooling

June 12, 2001 10:34:36 PM

Round cables will help, but that depends on how neat your case is, too. What about your fans? What's their CFM? 80mm isn't that big, but if they're powerful, it doesn't really matter.

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?
June 13, 2001 4:56:47 PM

If you decide to follow option 1) then the most powerful (but loud) 80mm fan that I am aware of is the Delta FFB0812EHE which moves 80.1cfm at 5700rpm, it consumes 10.8W so you won't be able to plug it into the motherboard direct, but two of these should improve your case airflow.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2001 5:10:11 PM

I think I'm going to go a couple of novel directions. First I'm replacing all the 80mm fans in the case. And secondly, I'm pretty sure I can squeeze a water cooling system into the box. <BFG> I've always wanted to try this, now here's a chance. ^_^
June 29, 2001 9:48:38 PM

<font color=blue>Cut a hole in the side of your case and cool it for real.

Of course, If I paid what you did for that case... I'd think twice b4 I cut anything, too.

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>
June 29, 2001 9:54:57 PM

Quote:
Cut a hole in the side of your case and cool it for real.

How is a hole going to help? Were you planning on putting something in the hole? :) 

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 30, 2001 3:39:05 PM

Well, I swapped out the intake fans (2)for some Sunon's that are rated at 42.5 CFM. I replaced the one exhaust fan with a similar sunon. I also took the MB tray out (that the exhaust fan is in and used a chassis punch to remove the set of cutouts that the fan used and just replaced it with a wire grille. This has helped some.

My MB temp now with the case on is lower than it is with the case off, which means I'm getting some good flow through the case. I thought some about the fact that the front fans are pulling air through both the front cover and the filter and thought that maybe putting two more fans in series with the intake fans would help overcome the extra resistance.

Well, the new setup works. Sort of. With the extra fans in series, I get a 3C MB and CPU temp drop. However, it is noisy and I get a harmonic going between the two sets of fans because they don't run at exactly the same speed.

Argh. I suppose I could invest in some deltas for the front, but they are 1) noisy and 2) expensive if I don't end up using them.

BTW, I'm not above cutting a hole in the side of the case if I absolutely have to, Ijust want to make sure that it is the best possible option before I start doing things like that. I don't think I can get Lian -Li to sell me a new side panel. (Though I may be wrong.)
!