Skyrim lagging hard on i5 3570k w/ radeon 7870

larry_burrd

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
I just built my new rig about a month ago and have just recently installed Skyrim and I am getting the worst lag spikes with it. Every other game from leauge of legends to AC:R to BF3 runs flawlessly at max setting except for skyrim, which is averaging about ~30fps on medium settings

heres my specs

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

RAM - G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

vcard - Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card

psu - Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

played on a Asus VE248Q 24.0" Monitor

with skyrim installed on the Crucial m4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

I heard somewhere that Skyrim may perform better on the HDD for some reason instead of the SSD but i've been hesitant to completely uninstall and reinstall it just yet. Also, something tells me that the lag may be due to the strange 16:10 resolution my monitor uses, but still I would think the system could easily handle it. please let me know any thoughts as to what could be happening

Solution
12.5 if you want to try the beta drivers...
also make sure you have installed the inf driver from the motherboard manufacturer site. it will help windows detect your cpu properly...
also you may get an actual fix from the skyrim nexus forums. so it may be worth you posting over there... also i dunno if your board supports mvp. but if it does make sure its disabled.

I play skyrim on high settings without any problems at all ( system is in the sig ) and it is installed on my SSD drive

I would

1 check for patches ( I heard the last patch has problems )

2 make sure GPU drivers are up to date

3 check MoBo drivers are up to date

4 Windows updates

5 MoBo bios is up to date

12.5 if you want to try the beta drivers...
also make sure you have installed the inf driver from the motherboard manufacturer site. it will help windows detect your cpu properly...
also you may get an actual fix from the skyrim nexus forums. so it may be worth you posting over there... also i dunno if your board supports mvp. but if it does make sure its disabled.

Solution