AMD TBIRD 200, 266 FSB,B/C? Is it just marketing?

G

Hey everyone!
I've heard that just about every Socket A chip made will operate just as well at 266 (133) FSB even if it's a 'B' coded chip "designed" to run at 200 (100)FSB.

Well, What I'm asking is this: Is there REALLY a difference between these two chips, the 'B' coded and 'C' coded, or is it just marketing on AMD's part?

For isntance:
Suppose I have two 1GHz chips, one is 200 and the other is 266 rated. Both have the same manufacturing code. Will the 266 one overclock better with more stability than if I raise the FSB on the other to 266 and try to hit the same heights?

Thanks in advance!

"This is my Kyro 2, with which I am well pleased."

The Jolly Wizened Oaf!

G

The 266 will give you a significant boost in performance compared to the 200 even though the clock speed is the same.
O'cing by increasing the FSB on the 266 will give you even more performance, especially if you can get it to 150.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Hehehe...going from 266 up to 150...
Maybe I should explain, since I know someone's going to ask.
A 266 is really a 133 front side bus, but it acts twice every clock cycle. Same thing as DDR, it basically just doubles how many times in a time period it will do what it's supposed to do.
The difference comes in because you have to maintain the balance between your processor, RAM, and your PCI, AGP & (dare I say it), ISA busses.
If you up your FSB, it changes how fast everything else goes, too. That's why it's not a true 266, it's just "double-pumped".

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

no, not really
AMD are looking after there customers
be releasing the higher speed chips at lower FSB
they are allowing owners of motherboards limited to 100 (200) to upgrade easily

not like P3 and P4

just before you intel nuts get loose, i meant the copper T

hehe sounds like my X's b/control.............

however, we all start at the end and finish at the begining