Athlon overclocking FSB

G

Overclocking an Athlon from 100 to 133mhz FSB and buying an Athlon that comes with a 133mhz FSB, is the processor performance the same?

Also, if you overclock the FSB over 133mhz, do you have to change the AGP and PCI settings and if so, how do you know what is right?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
your first question depends on if your only going to overclock through the front side bus. If you pay enough money for the right 1 GHz (b series 100 MHz fsb) then you can put it in a 133 mobo and run it at 133 with a slight voltage change, and be running at 1333 MHz. But if your just gonna unlock it and drop the multiplier to 7.5 so you get 1 GHz with 133 FSB then I'd just buy the 133 chp in the first place, there isn't much price difference.

On my A7M266 motherboard I have a 1333 MHz chip and I can't get the front side bus over 140 MHz and I have PC2400 Corsair overclocking ram. In my bios I can't find any dividers to change for better PCI card stability so I don't know about that, I'm just frustrated that I paid the extra money for ram thats supposed to do 150 MHz x2 (300 MHz FSB) and it will only do 280.

G

Hi there, I have a question regarding the FSB speed. I have an Athlon 1 Ghz running off of an Iwill mb. Though according to the mb spec, it listed this md support AMD 200Mhz or 266 Mhz FSB but I have no way of validating it. Since you are an expert at this scenario would you please help me confirming this criteria? Thanks ahead.
My sys is AMD Athlon 1 Ghz
Ram totalled 512Meg pc-100 generic.
display card is a Kyrol2 64meg.

G

I don't know exactly what you are trying to say.
Are you saying you are having trouble setting the jumper for the 100/200 and 133/266???
Please explain more....

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

G

I am truly sorry if I confused you but what I am trying to say is that how do I know which FSB am I running? Is there a window in the OS where I can actually confirm that. Or maybe I don't quite understand the concept of FSB and hopefully someone can explaint to me in details.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
download a copy of wcpuid - can get it from <A HREF="http://www.the-ctrl-alt-del.com" target="_new">here</A> and it will tell you what you are running.

Alternatively get a copy of SiSoft Sandra 2001SE and that will tell you all sorts of goodies about your setup that will probably have you asking lots more questions!

Pete.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

If your motherboard supports it, then you can also check your FSB through the BIOS.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

G

Thanks, I have found the answer thru that WCPU sw as you recommended.
Thanks again.