Sign in with
Your question

How should I overclock with this hardware?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 15, 2001 7:16:37 PM

Axia 1333 MHz processor, Asus A7M266 motherboard, Corsair PC2400 XMS overclocking ram, IBM 45 gig 75 GXP hard drive, and a geforce3. My PCI cards are one 10/100 Netgear NIC, a Sblive value, a Creative DX-r3 dvd decoder, and a pinnacle systems Studio DV fire wire card.
so far I've only gotten the FSB to get up to 140, Right now I'm looking for suggestions on what to set jumpers to, and what to set in the bios besides just the FSB setting.

More about : overclock hardware

June 15, 2001 9:39:17 PM

You can change the multiplier. That'll help you out. Which Netgear card do you have?

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?
June 16, 2001 4:11:54 AM

As much as I'd love to change the multiplier.....I can't
A7M266 doesn't have the dipswitches to change the multiplier, but I'm tempted to put them on myself.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2001 9:03:00 PM

No, don't listen to that other guy, you'll get better performance by boosting the FSB up. After all, you have the higher-frequency RAM, why not use it? You should try 150MHz FSB. Raise the voltage by .1v if it isn't stable. Leave the jumpers alone.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2001 9:33:33 PM

Agree.
Higher FSB will give a signifacant performance boost compared to increasing the multiplier.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>
June 17, 2001 4:41:25 PM

Like they said, no Multiplier modifier on an A7M.

Take the FSB up, but you may have to ditch those PCI cards.

Remove everything but memory, CPU, HDD and Video card and wind the FSB up. When you have found your stable limit, re-introduce the other cards one at a time and see if any cause you problems on the PCI bus, chances are 1 or more will.

You have a fantastic system, you'll need to make the decision of compromise should you find a component that does not overclock well. I know my SB live is good for 148FSB at least and also a combo USB/Firewire Firewire Direct Card too.

Cannot comment on DVD decoder - but I'm surprised it's much issue with a 1.33G cpu - did you buy it fro this system or is it a carry over. You may find no impact of not using it.

Nics are Nics and can be problematic. Largely trial and error on them.

You should get up to 150FSB before you need to raise your CPU voltage on a 1.33 t-bird. If it gets flakey, and you think it is the cpu, try and raise the core voltage a little, but aim to keep it under 50C measured with motherboard monitor - not asus probe.

I know nothing about voltage settings on DDR RAM so I would advise leaving them stock unless you know or find someone else who knows what the implications are. On SDRAM you just raise the IO voltage to aid stability - but DDR is unknown to me and this _may_ damage it. It may not of course.

Good luck - let us know how you get on!

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
June 17, 2001 5:22:48 PM

yeh... fsb is the way to go, though the netgear card could potentially let you down though...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong
June 17, 2001 5:24:05 PM

what HSF are you using? make sure you keep temps below 50C. And you are 95% likely to have problems with NICS when ocing the FSB. They are ALWAYS senstitive to changes in the FSB.

eh, i'll procrastinate later...
June 17, 2001 5:25:17 PM

I just thought of something. Some company should make "overclocking" NICs. That would be VERY cool. i bet tons of us ocing freaks would buy multiple cards.

eh, i'll procrastinate later...
June 17, 2001 5:52:45 PM

AMD PCNET nics take just about any FSB you throw at it.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!
June 18, 2001 1:47:53 PM

thanks for the generous help. here is a some info I think I forgot the first time:
Swiftech mc370 heat sink with delta 38 cfm fan
Asus iPanel (reads frequency of processor, ram, FSB, Temprature of CPU and mobo chipset, and voltages, Fan rpm etx.)
IBM 75GXP hard drive (ATA-100)
Maxtor 17 gig (ATA-33)

before getting to read this I took all my PCI cards out except for my graphics card of coarse and I decided to put all my voltages all the way up. So core voltage for CPU went to 1.85 IO voltage for motherboard whent to its highest which I think is 3.56 (I can't remember off the top of my head) and ram voltage went to its highest (I also think its 2.9v).
Well anyways the highest I could set my front side bus to was 140, yes only 140. I dropped the volts to 1.8 for the CPU and it did not like 140 MHz front side bus any more and gave me a windows protection fault. So I dropped IO voltage and RAM voltage to stocks and tried again and I still reached 140 with a 1.85 core voltage but nothing less.
I left my hard drives and CD rom drives plugged in do you think the ATA-33 drive and the cd rom drives messed it up? I know my CPU said AXIA on it, is it possible that there are cheap AXIA cpus now that they have become so popular? or that I got bad ram or mobo or something?

PS: I'm now running with a 136 MHz FSB for a tiny performance boost (1360 MHz) and my temperature highest while playing Quake3 or Counterstrike is 45 degrees celsius according to iPanel and bios. when I was at 1400 MHz I was at 47 degrees maximum. And the DVD Decoder came with my DVD drive 2 years ago when PIII500 was the fastest CPU and voodoo3 3000 was the best video card (man those were the days)
I just use the DVD Decoder because its hardware and does very nice, I'm not sure if my visiontek geforce 3 does hardware DVD or not.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Oni on 06/18/01 09:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 18, 2001 4:40:03 PM

Of course I'm not a pro or anything but if you stripped the rig and you can only hit 140 at maximum voltage, then I'd say it's the RAM. process of elimation? My AXIA 1 gig and Mushkin PC133 ram will do 155 stripped with just the vid card and CAS2. 150 with all my cards plugged in. So I don't think it's the AXIA stepping.
June 18, 2001 4:40:45 PM

Of course I'm not a pro or anything but if you stripped the rig and you can only hit 140 at maximum voltage, then I'd say it's the RAM. process of elimation? My AXIA 1 gig and Mushkin PC133 ram will do 155 stripped with just the vid card and CAS2. 150 with all my cards plugged in. So I don't think it's the AXIA stepping.

Maybe the board doesn't take the overclock? Havn't heard anything about that board. I use the Iwill KK266.
June 18, 2001 8:43:26 PM

It could still be the video card from what I hear the gforce 3's aren't as great of overclockers as the 2's. I doubt it is your RAM, it could be your CPU tere is no gurantee that all the AXIA's will be great overclockers though most are. You could try a hard mod on your CPU but that is a bit risky.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!
June 19, 2001 1:28:59 AM

Are you setting your FSB by bios, or by jumper?

Also, what is the maximum your system will POST at, not boot windows.

You could try updated drivers for the mobo and OS - which might help. The other possibility is the IDE controller. You may need to get a PCI controller.

Check the maximum POST you get - if you can POST 150FSB, but only boot Windows at 140 that may be it.

Also, try dropping your AGP to 2x or 1x and give the vid card a chance not to have to run so fast.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peteb on 06/19/01 11:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!