Beep Beep Sup Orb

G

Just bought a mini super orb for my 750 athlon (Abit KT7), my computer does'nt like me anymore and consistantly beeps when i turn power on and then shuts itself off. Nothing comes on screen. Ive attatched the two fans to the motherboard on their respective headers and touched nothing else. Some advice will be greatly appreciated, sorry for the long rant!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
erm - i'd recommend very carefully un-installing the heatsink and then visually inspecting the cpu core.

Check the cpu core all still has straight edges on it. Also, are you using a cpu shim (thin copper plate on the cpu format with cutouts for the resistor location? The shim can prevent the ORB cooler touching the cpu properly (if there is a lip on the base) which will lead to rather disaterous overheating.

My general impression from not having used one, but hearing of too many people damaging their cpus, is that ORBs suck big time.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

paulcalmond

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
In addition to checking what Peteb suggests, I believe some motherboards, I think including yours, will not start if the cpu fan rpm sensor does not detect that the fan is running. A slim possibility is that the two wires (+ve, and -ve power) to the cpu fan motor are connected, but the third wire (the rpm sensor) is not making a proper contact. Try checking the cpu fan connector for loose contacts.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
yes, depending on the bios, you must have a fan connected to header 2, in later bioses theres an option to disable this.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers