Thermaltake Reveals Level 10 GT Chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.

douglaskuntz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I'll stick to my chenbro 10769.. with the option to add REAL hotswap drives.. with backplane... It may not be pretty, but it has good airflow (120mm rear, 1 120mm behind each 4 drive bay, optional 92mm in the front of the drive bays, if you dont use the hotswap bays)

sagansrun

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
No thanks, Im still using my Lian-Li PC-70 server case from around 2002. But its housing an X-58 ASUS setup now. I'll only change cases if the MB manufactures change their format. Until then my PC-70 stays for the next gen of chipsets and video cards.

G

People, please check the facts before posting. After reading through the article, I headed over to their website and on there they have a link to the CES 2011 update page. You can clearly see many features, and improvements over the Level 10 or any other cases for that matter. If you read some CES 2011 coverage articles, you'll easily see the facts as well. Some things I noticed that contradicts with above comment:

- The hot-swappable hard drive bays all HAVE backplanes. These are REAL hot-swap drive bays.
- 28 pounds? HAF 932 is 29 lbs, Obsidian is a whopping 35 lbs. Weight is relative to what type of case you are looking for.
- Obsidian is better than Level 10 GT? Pound for pound, the GT has all and offers additional features.
*Hinged door design instead of traditional side panel design.
*3 x 200mm fans plus 1 x 140mm fan on Level 10 GT v.s. 3 x 140mm fans.
*Better cable management? Can't say, need to see it in person.
*Price is announced to be $269. Reasonable for a high-end case.

-

jojunk31

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
I have the original Level 10 case and I like it quite a great deal.

When I saw this link, I thought I would be a bit let down with my case having been replaced by something newer and ostensibly better. After looking at the gallery on Thermaltake’s site and the specifications, I think that was an inaccurate assumption.

This case has fewer weird shapes and surfaces. The review says the Level 10 GT is, “…a bit more streamlined than the original…” which is code for, “cheaper to produce in larger quantities.” The Level 10 case wasn’t about value or convenience or streamlining; it was about visual interest and this case has less visual interest. It is blockier, less bizarre, and more common. The exterior of motherboard compartment is particularly bland in the new version. The feet on this new unit look fairly common whereas the base on the original is curved and unique.

I do like the squatter HDD bays but don’t care that they’ve converted one of them to an external 2.5 drive. The addition of another 5.25” bay is a definite plus for the new model.

The cable management system looks improved with the use of the rubber ports, score another point for the new model.

The top mounted I/O panel is also an excellent change. My USB 3.0 ports are in the rear of the machine. The fan speed adjustment on that panel is also nice.

Another plus for the new model is the drive bay lock mechanism on the front of the machine instead of the back. Still, not having that on the front gives the older model a more pleasant appearance.

The addition of disco ball lighting effects is rather banal. Looks cheap. The subtler lighting on the original unit is more aesthetically pleasing. I feel the same way about windows – looks cheap. And let’s not forget the absolutely preposterous headphone rack. Just about the last thing anyone wants to do to a case that’s nice to look at is hang some headphones on it. For me, that’s just a ridiculous “feature”.

The larger additional fans are probably a plus for those who run hot systems. I don’t My PC is a fast build not in need of anything beyond the fans I have.

Had I do to it again, I would buy the Level 10 again versus this newer, ostensibly cheaper unit.

For the poster who indicated that there were backplanes on all the drive bays, that’s nothing new. The Level 10 case only came with two. I bought four more (actually two cables with each having two backplanes). Easy fix. Beyond that, I’m not sure how the HDD fans work on the new case –mine came with two and I bought and installed the recommended Thermaltake fans for the other four bays. Bottom line: I’ve got fans and backplanes for each hard drive.

In contrast to eddieroolz, I highly respect those who can buy a nice case instead of jacking up a cheap one and calling kewl.

Buy cheap, get cheap. Or, as the kidz say, "If I can't afford it, it's lame, man."

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]PSG1JOHN[/nom]That one heavy case, but cool looking, i wouldn't buy it cost to much in my book[/citation]

I'd buy it in a hearth beat if I could afford to...

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
That's what the original level 10 should've been.But to pay $800 for a chassis that has a PSU length limitation,2 fans for the MB tray, USB 2.0.I don't know about you, but it seems to me as a waste of money when cheeper chassis offer much more.If the new chassis is priced like the old one, it'd be much more attractive.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]treefrog07[/nom]28 pounds before installing components and no airflow across the HDDs. I'm sure some will like this chassis; I'll pass.[/citation]

There's a 200 mm front intake that blows across the HDDs if you don't know

ill_take_two

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008
Really don't see why so many are bashing this case. The case has many nice features imo. Huge 200mm colorshift fans with a fan controller. 5 hotswap bays. Cable management that is some of the best i've seen. The door fan has a nice magnetic connector. NTM there's a switch on the door fan that lets you reverse the fan's pull...(intake/exaust) The headset holder while minor is still a gr8 idea. Con's oh..its heavy..um what E-Atx case isn't? I think "pound for pound" =D its a great buy if you like the looks and the features match your needs. Sure its a bit pricey, but not outrageous. Corsair 600t is one of my fav case's out atm. At $169 its current list you dont even get a switch to turn the lights out nor a window. The window soon to be available i'm sure will be over $39 bucks. That's shooting you still over $210 and thats their cheapest case. If its not your bag then that's just it. Bang for buck its a solid water rdy case imo.

Here's a case to bash though...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103028

Lian Li, Silverstone, Corsair, Coolermaster and others cater to high end market so someone's buying

G

I've seen this case in person... this is one cheaply made case. I bet GT = Good Trash when it was 1st conceived. Compared to the original Level 10, this one (10 GT) should have come before the original, nothing innovating.

Pros:
* Good cooling, ton of fans will keep it cool.
* Rubber ports for cable management is a big plus in my book.
* Hot swap 3.5" drives

Cons:
* The window is too fragile, cracks easily.
* The 3.5" drive bay door broke in store when I tried to push a hot swap module into it.
* No protection for accidental removal of hot-swap drive ... a hinge of some sort would've been better.

Overall, this case doesn't worth the 269.99 price tag. The way it looked, it's price tag should be 169.99 at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.