Software "cooling"

G

Do the so called "cooling" software utilities really work or is it all crap?
If they are any good, which ones are the best and how can i get a hold of them?

G

probably just -5 off the temp readout

----------
I am, you know I am. I am Canadian.

G

they are not crap and work perfectly well as long as you set it up for your cpu. These programs set you cpu into a better state of idle, and only keep your idle temps lower, as soon as your cpu starts to work it won't cool it down anymore because it can't.

G

but I haven't heard of one for the 3d card, unless your posted in the wrong forum?

FatBurger

Illustrious
These programs set you cpu into a better state of idle, and only keep your idle temps lower, as soon as your cpu starts to work it won't cool it down anymore because it can't.
So, in other words, they're not that great.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

keeping your temps down during idle is good because it will prolong the life of the cpu, why not make your idle temps down more?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Because most people on this forum (and who would be talking about more cooling), want to keep their overclocked card cool, not try and make their Voodoo 2 last as long as humanly possible before buying a new card.
You're absolutely right, I'm just answering the question by what I think they're going for.

G

Ok... so what is a good software program for cooling? I definately need better idle temperatures... I do not like having a chip that idles at a temp of about 50C

FatBurger

Illustrious
Get better case cooling. It'll cool you down better than a piece of software could ever hope to.