hooking up old HP printer to a new Dell

Kate

just purchased a new Dell, after suffering a long 8 years with an eventually well worn out Gateway that used Win95. Dell guy told me I could not use the HP deskjet820Cse printer(purchased in 1997) with the new computer because the hardware had changed over the years...was this true? or was he attempting to sell me another printer? i need to save money if i can use the old printer. my printing needs are minimal, home use only. do i need any hardware to install the older printer, all that has been lost...misplaced, over time.
--
Kate

Kate

forgot to mention that the new computer has WindowsXP
--
Kate

"kate" wrote:

> just purchased a new Dell, after suffering a long 8 years with an eventually well worn out Gateway that used Win95. Dell guy told me I could not use the HP deskjet820Cse printer(purchased in 1997) with the new computer because the hardware had changed over the years...was this true? or was he attempting to sell me another printer? i need to save money if i can use the old printer. my printing needs are minimal, home use only. do i need any hardware to install the older printer, all that has been lost...misplaced, over time.
> --
> Kate

Windows XP came with your printer driver. Open the printers folder, go through the
wizard, your printer is listed.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

Mary Sauer wrote:
> Windows XP came with your printer driver. Open the printers folder,
> go through the wizard, your printer is listed.
>
>> just purchased a new Dell, after suffering a long 8 years with an
>> eventually well
> worn out Gateway that used Win95. Dell guy told me I could not use
> the HP deskjet820Cse printer(purchased in 1997) with the new computer
> because the hardware had changed over the years...was this true? or
> was he attempting to sell me another printer? i need to save money if
> i can use the old printer. my printing needs are minimal, home use
> only. do i need any hardware to install the older printer, all that
> has been lost...misplaced, over time.
>> --
>> Kate

I don't know what this guy from Dell is smoking, but most older printers
still work quite well
in Windows XP. I'm using a HP 4p(vintage 1993) and an Apple
Imagewriter(vintage 1987)
on my XP Machine.

You need a Printer Driver-as the above post says, its included in Windows
XP.

You need to be able to connect the printer to the computer. This requires,
for your printer
that your computer has a usb port or a parallel port, and that you have the
right cable.
Probably, your old cable will work fine on your new computer.

If you need more help, and don't still have the install CD or manual for the
printer,
go to the HP website:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/setupCategory?product=59867&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&

(be sure you use the whole url, sometimes my(or your) news reader wraps the
url, making it hard to click on)

This site has the instruction manual for your printer.

Then follow the instructions here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd09005&lang=en&cc=us

to install the printer driver on your new computer. At some point the wizard
will ask to print a test page. Do it.

Hope this helps.

Dick Kistler

Yes, this printer will work using the driver that comes with Windows XP.
However, you won't have some features such as double sided printing.
For that you need to search for the software program called fineprint
and install it.
Ken

Found at www.fineprint.com (strangely enough!)
--