Capturing a printer port for a DOS program to a local prin..

I need for a DOS program to be able to print to my local printer. The
developer says that I have to capture the printer port and it is not currently
doing this. On my XP machine, if I do: dir /w >lpt1 at a command prompt,
nothing happens. If I do it on my 2000 computer, it prints the directory to
my printer. This tells my developer that it is not properly captured. (Another
DOS program is printing fine to my local printer.)

I have tried removing the HP printer software with the HP disc. I then
restarted and reinstalled the HP printer software. The computer recognized
the printer and installed normally. But it still was a no go on this particular
DOS program and a no go with the above command attempting to prove
whether the port was being captured.

How can I do this is XP since there is no checkbox as there was for 2000?
1 answer Last reply
More about capturing printer port program local prin

    Share the printer, Then the command line entry should be -- where the
    computer and printer LAN names are used in place of printer and computer.
    net use lpt1: \\computer\printer /persistent:yes

    "Robert Ameeti" <microsoft@ameeti.net> wrote in message
[...]

    ---
    Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

DOS Printers Windows XP