Printer driver won't load

a b α HP
July 10, 2004 9:24:01 PM

I just upgraded to XP and now my HP 1100 printer won't work. I downloaded the XP driver for it but when I go to load the driver it I get an error message at the very end - "Unable to install HP Laser Jet" and if I use the Add printer wizard I get " Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed".

The printer is fine because it works with my other portable computer with XP.

Any ideas?

More about : printer driver load

July 11, 2004 2:03:29 AM

If yo upgraded from an earlier version of windows, you may have to uninstall
the older printer drivers before you can install the new ones. There may be
an uninstall utility or proceedure, check on the HP web site. A manual
uninstall can get messy, and involve using regedit to remove registry
entries related to the printer. Since these are not always obvious, there
are usually some problems. It's also possible that you need to install the
various SP and patch packages for XP prior to installing the printer.

"Bob Z" <BobZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just upgraded to XP and now my HP 1100 printer won't work. I downloaded
>the XP driver for it but when I go to load the driver it I get an error
>message at the very end - "Unable to install HP Laser Jet" and if I use the
>Add printer wizard I get " Printer driver was not installed. Operation
>could not be completed".
>
> The printer is fine because it works with my other portable computer with
> XP.
>
> Any ideas?

---
Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.
a b α HP
July 11, 2004 11:22:05 AM

However, there is a set of utilities from microsoft
called....rxtools.exe? I think. It has a driver cleaner
and about 50 other utes that are soemtimes useful. Check
downloads.microsoft.com.

(http://www.grisoft.com).
7/4/2004

>.

a b α HP
July 11, 2004 1:54:48 PM

a) You MUST be an Administrator or a User with Admin Rights in order to be
able to install a printer.

b) The Print Spooler MUST be running before you try to start the
installation. From the command prompt, type:

net start spooler
(and hit enter)

c) If you kept the printer connected during the upgrade to XP (a big no-no)
your drivers are now corrupted. Uninstall and reinstall using:
Cari
www.coribright.com

"Bob Z" <BobZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just upgraded to XP and now my HP 1100 printer won't work. I downloaded
>the XP driver for it but when I go to load the driver it I get an error
>message at the very end - "Unable to install HP Laser Jet" and if I use the
>Add printer wizard I get " Printer driver was not installed. Operation
>could not be completed".
>
> The printer is fine because it works with my other portable computer with
> XP.
>
> Any ideas?

Anonymous
a b α HP
July 15, 2004 10:03:41 PM

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 07:22:05 -0700, duurrh wrote:

> However, there is a set of utilities from microsoft
> called....rxtools.exe? I think. It has a driver cleaner
> and about 50 other utes that are soemtimes useful. Check
> downloads.microsoft.com.
>
>>"Bob Z" <BobZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> 0EBAC989A197@microsoft.com...
>>>I just upgraded to XP and now my HP 1100 printer won't
> work. I downloaded
>>>the XP driver for it but when I go to load the driver
> it I get an error
>>>message at the very end - "Unable to install HP Laser
> Jet" and if I use the
>>>Add printer wizard I get " Printer driver was not
> installed. Operation
>>>could not be completed".
>>>
>>> The printer is fine because it works with my other
> portable computer with
>>> XP.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?

Was this issue resolved yet?
If not, you will need the XP drivers to the printer. If you
would like to use the sound files from the old version copy
them from C:\windows\media to a safe location. Then format
and reinstall the OS. Be sure you've made a backup of any
document files before so. The printer control files vary
between Windows versions. Secondly in upgrade installation,
it's common to have file ghosts, which can create this type
of problem.
--
Lester
In 2 Timothy 3:1-6 the lord lists the qualities of