AMD's Avia core?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ok, I just got my CPU, it's a 1.2/266 Athlon with the Avia core. I haven't seen anything about that core. Can someone tell me a little about it?

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
avia... isnt that the newest one? better than the AYJHA or whatever it is... it rings a bell and that bell is going... good cpu... why dont you overclock it and see?

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

FatBurger

Illustrious
Well, of course I'm going to, but I have to get a working floppy drive first...grrr...
Ok, well technically I could overclock without an OS, but what's the point?

I don't think it's the newest core, since that only comes with the 1.4, doesn't it?

However, I have found a couple of sites that don't give any specific info about the core, but do have it overclocked rather nicely. As much as the Axia, or at least close.

G

goto athlonoc.com to read about athlon overclocking, great place for that. Overclockers.com has the cpu database at the top, use that to see the average overclockability of your stepping.

G

what cooling do you have? I broke my 1ghz axia (still cry every night:) but I am running a tbird 650 @ 890 with a moded swiftech MC462. I took 2 67cfm 92mm fans and stacked them in a staircase formation so the actual part of them that are stacked is in the center of the heatsink were to cpu is (no fan motors blocking air to the middle). My mobo temp is 26c, my 890 idle temps are 27c and the full load is 30c. Not bad for air cooling eh? I just wish I didn't break my 1ghz cpu so I could use this cooling setup to it's full potential.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I have a ThermoEngine with a Delta fan.
When I get my next processor (Palamino? Northwood?), I'll possibly go to a <A HREF="http://www.koolance.com" target="_new">Koolance</A> case for water cooling.

As I do more research, it looks like the Avia core is just below the Axia core in overclockability. And I can expect an easy 1.4 out of it :)

G

cool, hopefully I'll be able to replace my axia soon, maybe get a axiar or a ayhja 1.3 or maybe even an athlon 4.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Take a look at the article, "AMD CPU Stepping Guide UPDATED!
", at <A HREF="http://www.athlonoc.com" target="_new">http://www.athlonoc.com</A>

In the article you will find a table of some overclocking results for various T-Bird steppings. Incidentally, there are similar results for Duron steppings.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
avia is pre axia... doesn't go as far, lower yields.

You'll find the alphabet is handy on cpu stepping. as you go up the alphabet, cpus get newer.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
As with everything of this nature - the longer the wait the faster it runs. The question is - are you prepared to wait?

The Axia/Axiar/Ayhja all overclock very well from what I've heard.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
named AXIA from $143 on pricewatch currently, I'm sure cheaper/other vendors have them - they just don't advertise them specifically.