I want to learn to overclock!

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Hello,

I have a new system and I want it to scream baby scream!
GigaByte GA-7DXR Motherboard
AMD 1.4 Thunderbird
768MB PC2400 RAM
ASUS V8200 GeForce3 Video
Thermalite K-6 Copper heatsink w Delta 38 fan

I want to take advantage of any hidden horsepower in my system and overclock it within reason while maintaing stability. I have no real idea of how to overclock but would like to learn. Does anyone have any advice or a similar set up who could tell me what settings to change and where? I know there are a number of options including RAM overclocking, video card overclocking Etc.

I would really like to do this but don't know where to start.

Thanks
Eric

Raskall

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
Boy you really bought top notch stuff. Do you really have a need to o/c a 1.4Ghz proc? There aren't a whole lot of games that will need even half the computer you got. Not to mention, when you start o/cing stuff, you run the chance of frying it.

If you still feel you need to sqeeze some extra speed out of your computer then you may have what it takes to learn how to do it. =)

Start by getting the best possible heat sink for your processor. Consider purchasing a water cooler. You can find all sorts of reviews on this site and Anand. To overclock your processor and fsb, you'll simply need to change jumper settings and/or BIOS settings. The best bet for learning is to read read read. You can learn just about everthing you'll need to know from this site. Don't expect someone to spoon feed it to you though. Good luck.

Jason

FatBurger

Illustrious
You've got a good setup (except for water or peltier cooling, but that's too much effort for most people).
Except for the motherboard...could be a bit better.

Anyhow, check out <A HREF="http://www.athlonoc.com" target="_new">AthlonOC</A> for information.
You can also go to <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com" target="_new">Overclockers.com</A> or <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/index.html" target="_new">HardOCP.com</A> for reviews.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

If you computer is not already 'scream baby scream'ing, then there must be something wrong with it!

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well make sure the RAM is running at CAS2 and start upping the frequency (if that is an option on the Giga-Bytes). PC-2400 should be stable up and beyond 300MHz but that means a FSB of 150MHz (I don't think you'll see it since the chipset and CPU won't handle it). You might be able to get the FSB up to 140MHz stable.

Your Signature Sucks

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
your lucky you go that motherboard it has the multplyer adjusters on it and it also has a jumper to incresaes the power to the ram i saw at one place somebody get on of those up to a 160 fsb and a ten multiplyer and still be stable

also use the fsb in the bios becuase it is buy on mhz increments there