Vent though headset issues

ManOd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Hey everyone,
I didn't know where to post this, so I figured PC gaming since vent is primarily used for gaming. Here's the issue: I can not get vent to play through my headset, and yes, I have the proper audio device selected in the vent settings. And of course, if I set my headset to the deafult audio device, i can get ALL sounds through them. I suspect it has something to do with using two separate audio devices (the hdmi out on my video card, and the on board audio on my mobo). Now I know that Win 7 doesn't like two audio devices, and I have even read that its impossible to use two. However, I have gotten VLC media player to play exclusively though the headset while all other sounds go through my display speakers, so I know its possible. Even more confusing, when using the test option the Vent setup, it only plays back though the headset (as intended), but will not when using the app normally. The obvious fix would be to external speakers connected to the on board audio, setting them to discrete streams. I am trying to avoid this though, since desk space is limited, and my current set up is very clean. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

P.S. This is not a usb headset.

sounds like a conflict... disable the hdmi and it should work...
the hdmi audio on the gfx isnt particularly good anyway and often falls far short of even onboard sound...
have you pluged in your front audio into the onboard? if so and your using that it may be muting it instead of the hdmi.

also when you have vent running right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar (the white 1 not the red)... and open the volume mixer. check that vent isnt muted there...
btw vent will only show up there when its running.

ManOd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Well I cant, or more accurately, don't want to disable the hdmi audio device because I use that for the game sound. Also vent isn't muted in the mixer, though it shows up under the hdmi audio device despite being set to headphones in Vent settings. If my tv allowed me to set different audio inputs it wouldn't be an issue, id just use 2ch stereo to the tv, but it does not. Any other ideas?

ManOd

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
No that is what I want. But I've given up and just bought some external speakers and have them running through the onboard sound. It works well enough, doesnt sound as good has my tv speakers, but i only use em for games i use vent with. Thx for the input guys!

did you select the hdmi as the default audio output device in windows audio. then the onboard sound as the default communications device again in windows audio.
the hdmi lead must support audio which means it must be a 1.4 hdmi cable i think.
if you can watch video on the tv from the pc with sound then its good enough to run the game with sound. the problem is not all games will select the hdmi output but rather the default output, and this is why you have to set the default output as the hdmi in the windows sound options. when you do this you may have to disable spdif and any other sound outputs other than the on board and hdmi.