Ancient Deskpro 8086 question

Here goes:

Does anyone know how to switch a Compaq Deskpro 8086 from
IBM-compatible 4.77Mz mode to the "turbo" 7Mz mode? I recently picked
up one of these puppies -without OS- and I can't figure the
keystrokes, nor are there any DIP switches to adjust this.

I've already tried the old XT-clone Control-Alt-Plus combo that worked
with XT "turbo" clones, and that one doesn't work. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

David

You might also try ctl-alt-esc. Do you have the original keyboard? Not sure,
but there may have been a turbo key. You could also try switching it on via
software. I have a turbo on/off utility that works on XT's but not sure if
it will work on an 8086.

"Casey Tompkins" <ctompkins@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> Here goes:
>
> Does anyone know how to switch a Compaq Deskpro 8086 from
> IBM-compatible 4.77Mz mode to the "turbo" 7Mz mode? I recently picked
> up one of these puppies -without OS- and I can't figure the
> keystrokes, nor are there any DIP switches to adjust this.
>
> I've already tried the old XT-clone Control-Alt-Plus combo that worked
> with XT "turbo" clones, and that one doesn't work. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

David wrote:

> You might also try ctl-alt-esc. Do you have the original keyboard? Not sure,
> but there may have been a turbo key. You could also try switching it on via
> software. I have a turbo on/off utility that works on XT's but not sure if
> it will work on an 8086.
>
> "Casey Tompkins" <ctompkins@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message

Wasn't the software command Ctrl+Alt+(Plus sign) to set turbo, and
Ctrl+Alt+(Minus sign) for turbo off??? It has been a long time.

>>Here goes:
>>
>>Does anyone know how to switch a Compaq Deskpro 8086 from
>>IBM-compatible 4.77Mz mode to the "turbo" 7Mz mode? I recently picked
>>up one of these puppies -without OS- and I can't figure the
>>keystrokes, nor are there any DIP switches to adjust this.
>>
>>I've already tried the old XT-clone Control-Alt-Plus combo that worked
>>with XT "turbo" clones, and that one doesn't work. Any suggestions
>>would be appreciated.

Let's see, in order:

David, I have the original keyboard, and the amber mono monitor. It's
a very clean system! But no, ctl-alt-esc didn't do anything. :( I did
find out that ctl-alt-< switched the monitor down to CGA resolution,
and ctl-alt-> kicked it back into high-resolution MGA mode.

I'm not sure the XT "turbo" program would work, but if you want to
email it to me, feel free.

Ken, thanks for the suggestion ,but that only works on XT clone
systems. You see, Compaq was so intent on being "IBM compatible" that
they even wanted their systems to *sound* like IBMs, with keyboard
"click" and all. The problem was that those buckling-spring keyboards
were *heavy* (and more expensive), so they added a software-driven
"key click" sound instead. ctl-alt-plus and ctl-alt-minus increased
and decreased the clicking sound on the early Compaqs.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:43:45 GMT, Ken <user@domain.invalid> wrote:

>David wrote:
>
>> You might also try ctl-alt-esc. Do you have the original keyboard? Not sure,
>> but there may have been a turbo key. You could also try switching it on via
>> software. I have a turbo on/off utility that works on XT's but not sure if
>> it will work on an 8086.
>>
>> "Casey Tompkins" <ctompkins@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
>>

> Wasn't the software command Ctrl+Alt+(Plus sign) to set turbo, and
>Ctrl+Alt+(Minus sign) for turbo off??? It has been a long time.
>
>>>Here goes:
>>>
>>>Does anyone know how to switch a Compaq Deskpro 8086 from
>>>IBM-compatible 4.77Mz mode to the "turbo" 7Mz mode? I recently picked
>>>up one of these puppies -without OS- and I can't figure the
>>>keystrokes, nor are there any DIP switches to adjust this.
>>>
>>>I've already tried the old XT-clone Control-Alt-Plus combo that worked
>>>with XT "turbo" clones, and that one doesn't work. Any suggestions
>>>would be appreciated.

David

Casey-
I'll email you the turbo utility. You also might find this interesting..
http://www.atarimagazines.com/creative/v11n5/32_Compaq_Deskpro_versus_IBM.php

also somewhere in my antique collection I think I have some old Compaq 5.25
floppy disks. I'll see if I can find them.