If I buy a retail game will it go to Steam?

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
I am really excited about buying Max Payne 3 but from what I have seen on its system requirements is that is a 35GB game?? The problem with that, for me, is that my internet is really slow (256 kb/s in Steam) and with those kinds of speeds it would take me like two days to download it! So if I buy the game on cd at like best buy or something will it still install to Steam but just download it from the cd so that it will only take me like 5 mins to download it? Oh and I got the system requirements from here - http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=537&game=Max%20Payne%203

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

So I will be able to invite Steam friends through the game by Shift-tabbing? And why does it say I have a 2.79 mb/s download speed in speedtest.net when I only get 256kb/s in Steam?

if its a steam game, ie needs steam logged on to activate and run it then it will either install steam from the disk if its not already on your pc. and then use the steam installer to instll the game. 1s done you can put the disk away and the only download will be any updates steam needs to apply. you wont have to download the whole game via steam...

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

If I buy max Payne 3 at best buy will it install through Steam and everything like you said? Or will be used in a different program or something?

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Also how long do you think it would take to download 35gb with 256kb/s? I would like to just buy it off Steam but I dont want to wait for an extra day for it to download... I will start the download hopefully when it comes out at midnight so what time do you think it will be done by?

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Yeah that is what we mean. You can only do it with certain games though... does anyone know of you can do this with Max Payne 3?

pchelpdesk

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
your speed on speedtest is in megabits, devide that by 8 and you get megabytes and for you 256 kilobytes sounds about right when downloading from steam. Yes if you get the cd you will just install from cd and it will put a link in steam then download any patches, should be quicker if you buy the cd.