Sign in with
Your question

too loud, too hot, im not happy

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2001 2:50:49 PM

OK, I got some new hardware (my A7M266 couldnt OC and didnt have RAID)last week. I aquired a tbird 1400 and a new MSI K7T266 RAID mobo (any thoughts?). I have a copper shim, OCZ quicksilver paste and a OCZ gladiator2 copper HSF.At 1400, idle I run about 42c - 44c. Loaded, with an hour at some hardcore speed Unreal Tournament online, it reached 48C. OCed to 1500 it idled at 44c with loaded out temps of 48c-50c. From everything I read this is not very good performance. I know how to mount a HSF so its not my inexperience either. That gets me to my real question though. THis damn thing with the TOP 36cfm fan is too damn loud! I have the case on my desktop, with a blowhole over the CPU and the noise is almost unbearable. Is there a good HSF that is quieter and that will give me decent temps when I get this bird up to 1600?? I am currently running stock to rule out the possibilities of system instability from OCing, ive had to restore 3 times in the past 7 days since I got my k7t, windows just goes berzerk and corrupts. I think I got it down to MSN/Gamevoice conflicting with the Platinum 5.1 SB Live. Anyways, since this setup is in the living room, it really is to noisy to be practical. Ive got a 36cfm Sunon 80mm fan pulling in air from the front, a 92mm generic fan in the blowhole blowing over the CPU and chipset, nad a sparkle 300 watt PS up top drawing hot air out. Thanks for looking.

MSI K7T266Pro RAID
AMD Athlon 1.4 @ 1.4 with OCZ GLadiator2, copper shim
384MB Corsair DDRSDRAM cas2.5
2 30g ATA100 7200rpm Western Digital HDD in RAID0 config
Visiontek GeForce3 64mb DDR
SB Live Platinum 5.1 (slot 3)
Creative Labs DXR3 DVD Decoder board (slot 4)
WinTV Tuner (slot1)
Linksys 10/100 fast ethernet (slot 3)
Creative 8432 CDRW
Creative 12xDVD
Zip250
Sony Floppy
"The Big Purple Case" with 300 watt Sparkle PSU
Two cans o' beer
Flip out ashtray
Just kiddin about the last two!!

Its big, purple and women love it!(ATX case w/3 coats of purple Krylon and the AMD logo)

More about : loud hot happy

June 21, 2001 3:00:13 PM

Just out of curiosity, how do you fit the SB Live! 5.1 Platinum and the Linksys NIC in the same slot? Just guessing here, but that might be causing your problem... :) 

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?
June 21, 2001 3:41:35 PM

well - the short story is you are not going to get a 1.4/1.6 Athlon cooled with air at a quiet level of noise.

If you are that fussed - start researching water cooling. That'll be the quietest.

Your case is also not sounding well enough ventilated - you should get an exhaust fan setup over/near the cup at the back of the case. The psu only really draws enough air through to cool itself - it will not do a good job of venting all your air. That could bring your cpu temps down 5-10 degrees depending.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2001 8:35:25 PM

I bet if you replaced the loud 80mm and 92mm fans with more mild ones, your temp wouldn't go up too much.
I had a VERY loud 120mm Sunon and couldn't stand it. It was my top blowhole. I exchanged it with a Sunon Quiet 120mm and it is very much more quiet, and my temp didn't go up. If you have dual blowholes then they don't need to be spinnging super fast to keep the air moving...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
-Einstein
June 21, 2001 9:04:02 PM

Blowholes in the top of a case supposedly don't do as much as you might think. At least not according to <A HREF="http://www.3dcool.com" target="_new">3DCool</A>, who's designed some pretty sweet cases in their Tornado series. I can't find the quote now, but I remember it clearly.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?
!