1.2tbird@1.4

G

I built my lattest systerm with a 1.2gig TBIRD on a IWILL KA266 Raid MB. I have 2 sticks of PC2100 Micron RAM(256MB ea.)I have a Geforce2 Pro 64MB VC and 2 30gig 7200HD's. I set up my raid array for performance. I have been running stably at 1.4gig for months now,using the multiplier jumpers(133x10.5) When I booted up today I ran 3DMARK2000 and to my supprise got a 11467 Benchmark! When I checked the system info it said I was running at 1939mhz!! I ran the benchmark again and got about the same benchmark. I took pictures with my digital camera of the screen for proof!
Unfortunatly I went into the bios and bumped the memory setting from fast to ultra and when I ran 3DMARK2000 it froze up, so I went back to the fast setting. Now when I run the benchmark I am back to the 8200's and it shows the correct processor speed of 1400. What happened?

FatBurger

Illustrious
lol
Whatever it was, you'd better hope it happens again. Who knows. It could be a million things. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating. It's probably only 999,999.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
Can processor speed really improve 3Dmark scores that much? It would seem that your graphics card would become the bottle neck and it wouldn't matter how high your CPU freq was, your 3Dmark scores would stay static at some point.

That oughta void your warrenty!

G

I know the 1939mhz wasn't what my system was really running at because when I checked with wintune it showed 1460mhz right after running 3DMark2000. I think I might have some memory problems though, because when I print pics on my epson 1200 the printer runs in bursts and pauses. The same thing happens when I load large programs.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Your Epson printing is bursts would probably be a printer problem, since your computer sends the document to the printer and the printer stores it. Unless you have the settings otherwise.

As for programs installing in bursts, I doubt that's RAM either. Possible CD-ROM or hard drive issues? Could just be the installation process, could be Windows.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

When I first built this system I was ony running 1 30gigHD(IBM),when that HD failed(2nd time in 2yrs) I sent it back under warranty and bought a Maxtor DiamondMax+. I don't remember programs surging,pausing,etc. with only one HD online. I ran the Maxtor alone until my IBM came back. Then I wiped them clean and set them up in a raid array. They're both 7200 RPM 30gig drives rated ATA 100, being half the info's on the IBM, and the other half is on the Maxtor is there a compatability issue?