Gaming Rig

Okay so I am setting up a new rig for my friend, primarily will be for gaming, MMOs and FPSs mostly was wondering...
Will everything be compatible, run well, and where can I improve and stuff.

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Acer Black 20" 5ms LED-Backlight LCD monitor
MSI OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
ASUS P8Z77 WS
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge
8 answers Last reply
More about gaming
  1. kingjames 1611? as long as the mobo is 1155 socket, it should be a good rig, esp. for mmo's.
  2. kingjamestw2 said:
    Okay so I am setting up a new rig for my friend, primarily will be for gaming, MMOs and FPSs mostly was wondering...
    Will everything be compatible, run well, and where can I improve and stuff.

    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
    Acer Black 20" 5ms LED-Backlight LCD monitor
    MSI OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    ASUS P8Z77 WS
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge


    Everything is fine apart from the mobo and hdd.

    Thr hard drive is sata 3.0Gb/s you should really be getting a 6.0Gb/s hard drive to take advantage of the latest tech and the motherboard you have chosen is OVERKILL by the way the WS stands for Workstation give me a budget and i could reccomend you one.
  3. WatchOut said:
    Everything is fine apart from the mobo and hdd.

    Thr hard drive is sata 3.0Gb/s you should really be getting a 6.0Gb/s hard drive to take advantage of the latest tech and the motherboard you have chosen is OVERKILL by the way the WS stands for Workstation give me a budget and i could reccomend you one.


    The budget is around 1800, but count these two items in
    GIGABYTE GM-M6800 Noble Black 5+1 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Dual Lens Gaming Mouse
    and
    steelseries 64115SS Black USB Wired Gaming Shift Medal of Honor Edition Bundle

    and how is this for the hdd?
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    and why is this one so much more expensive?
    Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1000DHTZ 1TB 10000 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  4. kingjamestw2 said:
    The budget is around 1800, but count these two items in
    GIGABYTE GM-M6800 Noble Black 5+1 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Dual Lens Gaming Mouse
    and
    steelseries 64115SS Black USB Wired Gaming Shift Medal of Honor Edition Bundle

    and how is this for the hdd?
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    and why is this one so much more expensive?
    Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1000DHTZ 1TB 10000 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive


    The velociraptor lasts up to twice as long as the caviar black 600000 vs 300000 cycles but that doesn't really matter as most people won't have their HDD for that long anyway.
    The VelociRaptor is also about 1.5 times the speed of the caviar black in every aspect but a normal user wouldn't really see the difference.
    The caviar black is almost silent when compared to the VelociRaptor and it is also more efficient.

    IMO the VelociRaptor is not worth the premium and you could also use a ssd with the caviar in ssd caching.

    I would reccomend something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
    as your mobo.
  5. WatchOut said:
    The velociraptor lasts up to twice as long as the caviar black 600000 vs 300000 cycles but that doesn't really matter as most people won't have their HDD for that long anyway.
    The VelociRaptor is also about 1.5 times the speed of the caviar black in every aspect but a normal user wouldn't really see the difference.
    The caviar black is almost silent when compared to the VelociRaptor and it is also more efficient.

    IMO the VelociRaptor is not worth the premium and you could also use a ssd with the caviar in ssd caching.

    I would reccomend something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
    as your mobo.


    Okay for the HDD I went with
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533
    and the MOBO I went with
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131820
  6. Any more opinions? The more the merrier.
  7. kingjamestw2 said:


    Nothing at all wrong with that.
  8. get the Asus GeForce GTX670 DCII TOP its a much better Graphics card!!!!
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Video Games Product