How safe is multiplier change through bridges?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
after seeing this guide (http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q3/000711/amd-04.html
)
it seems like it'd be real easy to change the multiplier on any Tbird processor despite motherboard. I havn't heard very much about this though, is it dangerous, or more so than if it was available on the motherboard?

G

easy to join the bridges
not so easy to cut bridges though
if you have xxx chip, it may need bridges joined, none cut
if you have yyy chip, it may need bridges cut, none joined
much easier to get mobo with options

however, we all start at the end and finish at the begining

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
so whats the best way to cut the bridges without killing my processor?
I have a 1.33 GHz Axia CPU, so its already a 10x multiplier

tmod

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2001
If I were you I would play with the multiplier setting in the bios before changing any bridges. Are the bridges on L1 connected? If they are you can set the multiplier in the bios. Which motherboard do you have?

G

easiest way is not to cut
join L1 all 4 of them, this lets the mobo do the settings

i thought you had asus a7m266 in which case -

The A7M266 is based on AMD® 761TM chipset in ATX form factor for the latest support in AMD® AthlonTM / DuronTM 550MHz ~ 1GHz+ processors. Such new chipset is ASUS's first Socket A version to incorporate 266MHz FSB and 2GB PC2100 / PC1600 DDR DRAM capability in the x86 platforms. <font color=red>This marvelous mainboard features support for Stepless Frequency Selection, a new technology which allows CPU frequency setting to be set in 1MHz-increments</font color=red> and also Ultra-Fast DMA/100 data transfer, and AGP Pro/4X, etc. Optional upgrades available for up to 4 USB ports, 3Com® 3C920 100/10Mbps Ethernet card, and Cmedia® CMI8738 audio.

Note: Certain source are provided under the guidance of AMD®, VIA® & 3Com® Technologies.

does this help???

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, <font color=red>Asus A7M266</font color=red> doesn't have Multiplier adjust dipswitch so closing all L1 bridges would be useless.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

<font color=red>This marvelous mainboard features support for Stepless Frequency Selection, a new technology which allows CPU frequency setting to be set in 1MHz-increments
</font color=red>

this is from the asus site - sounds like bios adjustable to me.

i dont have this mobo, so im only guessing.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't either, but I guess you're right since I have A7V133 and it does have Multiplier adjustable selector in BIOS. Thanks.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A7M266 only has FSB adjustment. You can change the front side bus frequency in 1 MHz increments. Say from 133 MHz to 134 MHz. But no core multiplier which is why I would have to connect the bridges on the CPU to change the multiplier. So I'm still curious, how save is it to change the multiplier this way, and how would I cut the bridges that need to be cut? I know how to connect bridges

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A7M266 only has FSB adjustment. You can change the front side bus frequency in 1 MHz increments. Say from 133 MHz to 134 MHz. But no core multiplier which is why I would have to connect the bridges on the CPU to change the multiplier.
If it has no Multiplier adjustment selector in BIOS, I see no point in connecting L1 bridges. A7M266 will still post your CPU with fixed multiplier which is 10X mult.
To cut those bridges required a lot of skill and I personally wouldn't recommend it.

allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you don't have to cut anything on your cpu. just join the L1 bridges and it will unlock your multiplier. it is perfectly safe and harmless. just make sure in joining each individual bridge you don't accidently join them to each other. your mobo may not let you change the multiplier regardless of the status of your cpu however. if this is the case, then you have no reason to even mess with the bridges.

allgoodpeople

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

G

To Cut L1 Bridges:

1. Clean off the proccessor really good.
2. Pray to your local god for the surgical skillz.
3. Get a magnifying glass, hopefully one of those big ones with a built in light.
4. Find a SHARP needle, some aren't sharp under a magnifying glass.
5. Scratch the bridges carefully and repeatedly in a motion 90degrees off the direction of each bridge.
6. Get Lucky and it will work.
My friend did it like that successfully, but I wouldn't try it.

Use at your own Risk.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
-Einstein