Questions on watercooling

G

Hi there....

I've recently started building my very own watercooling system for my computer..... It's a 700 MHz duron...

Now.... I've finished building my coolerhead, and I have a primo radiator from a car, and it should be quite enough to cool my computer....
My questions are about the pump. I've been looking at a fountain pump, but will the water flowing through it be enough to cool it, preventing it from breaking down??

And another thing: Someone I talked to mentioned that I might need an expasion-tank, because water expands when it gets hot... I'd think that the amount the water expands is neglible, but I prefer to make sure, and I've lost my books on how to calculate how much it does expand....

If someone could help, I'd really appreciate it =)

Me fail english?? That's unpossible!!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
you don't need an expansion tank unless you are planning on boiling the water, which is not recommended. Water expansion due to heat is very little, and since unless you are using a TEC the water temperature will directly affect your cpu temp, if it gets much over 40 degrees, you've lost already.

Fountain pumps I don't know about - most people seem to use fish tank pumps arount the 150-300 gallon per hour mark.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Im also in the process of going watercooled, I bought an ENHEIM 1250 pump (as used in aquariums), this was reccomended to me by several people, its pumps 1250ltr/min (hence the name) and can be submersed if required, these pumps are designed to run 24/7 so should be just fine, I havnt recieved my waterblock which I ordered weeks ago so cant really offer much more advice, but the enheim pump is supposed to be the best.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

I've seen the ENHEIM somewhere, and it was quite expensive!

I think I'll just stress test a fountain pump for a day or so, and see if it can take without being submerged....

Thanks for you help =)

Me fail english?? That's unpossible!!

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
yeah, they aint cheap, but they are supposed to be the best, and if its cooling my cpu, then reliability is important!!!, I paid just over £60 for the 1250 (sorry, dont know what that is in dollars or whatever), the shop had some for half that price, but thats what was recommended by someone I know thats watercooling and so I went along with it, also, worth mentioning, the pump I got is very quiet, are the fountain pumps any louder? they possibly are as they are obviousley used outside where noise isnt normally an issue. I plan on documenting mine with pix etc once my waterblock comes, Ive put a bit on my site but no pix as yet, anyway you can find my site <A HREF="http:// www.calvsplace.cwc.net" target="_new">HERE</A> if your interested, go to the projects section at the bottom- rest of site is naf as I havnt had time to do much on it.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

kevstev

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
If you are that concerned, you could hook in a pressure guage, raise the water temp to something ridiculously high (say mebbe 60/70c) and see if there is an increase. Or, lets say a pressure guage isnt handy, you could always make a T-connection, leave it filled with air, ( and make sure that that section of hose is always facing up!) and then seal the end off. If the water was to expand, it would then compress the air, not exert pressure on the joints, thus saving your system.
-k

I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the Corporate Republic of America...