G

ive jsut built my first computer and i cant get the damn cpu temperature below 50 c, and it goes to like 53 or 54 during heavy usage. i have like 5 fans in my computer right now. i plan to eventually get a better cooling system, but will my cpu be ruined if i use it at this temperature for about a month or two?

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
53 to 54 under load is just fine. In general, I always use 60C as the too hot mark. It also depends on your ambient temp, case temp, and of course if you are overclocking. I get similar load temps with my processor which is a 1.2 at 1.4 ( 140 x 10 ). My case temp gets to about 34 and my cpu gets in the 50-53 range. My main problem is the damn case temp. God I hate summer. But I wouldn't worry too much. WHat HSF are you currently using right now anyways? If it's the stock one, you could probably get that temp alot lower with very little expense. Just buy a Volcano II or a Vantec ( it's loud ) HSF for less that $20 and some Artic silver 2 for like 8 and your temps would probably drop at least 5C and maybe even more.

That oughta void your warrenty!

G

yeah thanks. im not overclocking at all, my cpu is an athlon t-bird 1.33 ghz. i guess my case temp is probably too hot, it runs at about 34-36.

G

I have a 1.33 Ghz Athlon and when I first ran it with a Globalwin FOP 32-1 HSF, I was getting temps of around 57 degrees, motherboard temp of 30 deg with a ambient temp of about 19. After laping the heatsink I got the CPU temp down to 56 deg.

After a lot of experimentation, I worked out that because of the short distance between the fan and the heatsink, a lot of the air going through the heatsink was actually circulating ie the warm air from the heatsink was drawn back into the fan.

I managed to get the temp of the CPU down to 51 deg by putting a 8cm pipe over the CPU fan and cutting a hole in the case, allowing only cool fresh air from the outside of the case to flow over the heatsink.

A further reduction in temp down to 49 deg was achieved by placing a 8cm case fan just inside the case, on top of the pipe. This increased the rpm of the CPU fan from 4200 to 4700 indicating that more air is moving over the heatsink.

I'm overclocking now to 1.56GHZ and running at a steady 51 deg C at full load.

Hope this helps.

Karl