Dx11 vs dx9 noob question

jakepf1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
hi there :hello: what would run games better on my crap pc "windows 7 64 bit dx11" or "windows xp 64 bit dx9" i am only looking for performance nothing else
specs :
asrock g41m-vs3
e2160
4gb ram
500 gb hard drive
ati radeon hd 5450

Solution
You can turn off Aero so that Windows 7 does not use as much resources. While Win 7 uses more resources than Win XP, it is less than how much Win Vista uses.

Windows XP 64-bit is not widely supported so it may be difficult to find hardware drivers for it. Better to just use Win XP 32-bit, you will not have all 4GB of RAM available to you, but it doesn't affect performance much especially since all games are 32-bit and generally so not go over 1.3GB of RAM usage.

I would simply get Windows 7. You can then force the game to run in Windows XP SP2 or SP3 mode. This is done by right clicking the game EXE file, then click Properties, go to the Compatibility tab and from there choose Windows XP. This will ensure DX10 and DX11 is disabled for the game.

Of course if you want to play a game that does not support DX9, like Just Cause 2, then doing this will cause the game not to run.

jakepf1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
but on windows 7 it uses much more resources than windows xp but the directx runs the game so which windows would be better ?

You can turn off Aero so that Windows 7 does not use as much resources. While Win 7 uses more resources than Win XP, it is less than how much Win Vista uses.

Windows XP 64-bit is not widely supported so it may be difficult to find hardware drivers for it. Better to just use Win XP 32-bit, you will not have all 4GB of RAM available to you, but it doesn't affect performance much especially since all games are 32-bit and generally so not go over 1.3GB of RAM usage.

Solution

jakepf1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Ok and ill also turn off unwanted services as well thanks for you time :)