a7v133/axia overclock problem

pek

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2001
I have a somewhat irritating problem with my new a7v133 and 1.33 Ghz 'c' T-bird. I can't seem to even clock up to the 1.33 G clock through bios. I can up the FSB to 145, but when I try to kick up the multiplier more than 8.5 with ANY FSB, it won't even boot, even with the vcore at 1.8 (the max that the a7v133 will do thru bios). I pulled my SBlive 5.1 and US Robotics modem out, had to leave the new asus v7700 in to see what was happening. I have Micron pc133 cas2 ram. Heat doesn't seem to be an issue, with the latest asus pc probe I never go over 50c (mb is 31c) with my Volcano II. My WIN 98 even re-loaded all my drivers after one aborted "up-to clock". I can't even clock it to spec, let alone OC'ing it. But, my v7700 seems to OC ok. I notice that asus will automatically drop the PCI multiplier to 1/4 with FSB over 120, so I don't think PCI/AGP clock problems are the cause.

I don't know if I want to using the dip switches if I have to go thru the asus 'safe mode' boot as often as I am.

Is it my attitude?

Paul Kaski

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
That's really weird. did you have to unlock the chip yourself or did it come unlocked? I've heard of a few times where people accidently crossed bridges when they were unlocking the chip and it caused problems where only certain multipliers worked. But if that's not the case, then I would say your motherboard might have a problem because I have the A7V133 and haven't had any problems whatsoever. I'm running my 1.2 @ 1.4 (140x10)and the thing is totally stable. The only time I have had it not boot was when I tried to push it too far above 1.4

That oughta void your warrenty!

pek

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2001
Well, this is the second mobo I got, the first wouldn't even post. I've read the axia'a come unlocked, but I can pencil it to make sure it's unlocked.

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
Nope, not all of them come unlocked. It seems it's kinda random at this point whether it will be locked or not. Just check it out and if the bridges are cut, I would guess that's what your problem is.

That oughta void your warrenty!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I assume you are trying to run using bios to set the fsb/multiplier.

I found some strange things - try setting the dip switch for 100FSB (even though board is set to jumperless) and your multipler dip for 10x.

The maximum voltage the board will supply is 1.85V, but you should leave the VID jumpers to auto and the bios to auto voltage for stock 1.33G

Are you running new bios - 1005a is a good bios as far as I can tell.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

pek

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2001
I have 1005a, it came with my new mobo. I have to open up my case again to try some of these things out, I thought I had almost closed it for good. Of course, tweakers just can't keep their hands out for long.

I try these things and post again with results.

pek

pek

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2001
Well, I joined the L1 bridges just in case I had a locked down version, but, no joy. Still won't post over 8.5 multiplier through bios.

If I still have time, I'll call the vendor and get another mobo. AGAIN.

pek