hsf weight=a problem?

G

is the weight of heavier copper heatsinks something i should be worried about in buying a new hsf? for example, global win's cak38 weighs about 450 grams according to most of the info i find, and amd says that your hsf should not exceed 300 grams. is the extra weight only a problem when transporting a machine, or is it something to worry about even when your case is just sitting on the floor? and how much weight is too much? the new swiftech is gigantic and it just worries me, putting that much stress on the socket. and finally, is the extra weight even worth it? will the cak38 really do about the same job as the fop32-1 or the fop38 as seems to be the case from tom's cooler comparison? and what about the noisecontrol silverado? according to tom's comparison it outperforms all of the global win models i listed. so you know, i am running a 1.2ghz athlon, and am planning to oc it in the near future as soon as i get my cooling situation figured out. any input or information would be appreciated.

------------------------
--renfield

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Well the Swiftech bolts to the motherboard, I think as Heatsinks get bigger and heavier, that the 4 hole bolting to the mobo will be common place. Try watercooling.

G

the only problem with heavy heatsinks is that when computer manufacturers ship their computers, the heavy heatsinks sometimes come off and can either damage parts inside the computer or when the person turns the computer on there is no heatsink and it fries.

----------
I am, you know I am. I am Canadian.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Also, I think the case cooling has alot to do with overclocking. And it's not necessarily the heatsink as it is the heatsink fan. My Alpha Pal-6035 does quite well with the Delta fan on it (noisy as hell), can keep my gig @ 1314 under load to about 42-45 C. Idles around 32C.

Of course I have 4 80mm fans in the case, plus my PSU fan.

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
From what I have read, the weight restrictions only apply to heatsinks shipped installed on units. The only time weight becomes an issue is when moving a system around. Heck, thje glaciator weighs nearly two pounds and it works fine as long as you don't move the computer around. So don't worry so much about weight unless the thing is really freaking heavy.I would say anything under 500 grams is pretty much safe for a stationary computer.

That oughta void your warrenty!

FatBurger

Illustrious
AMD says 300 grams is the weight limit. But yes, that's just for moving it around. The clips can hold 20 pounds or something, but the chip can't take too much weight without cracking.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

Like someone said earlier that the swiftech heatsinks are mounted on the MB and moving them isn't as big of a problem I think. Unlinke the CAK's that are heavy and mounted to the socket. Someone on this board pointed me to this before but I guess Swiftech put in the 462 HS and droped 30feet in a box to see if it would damage anything.

http://www.swiftnets.com/MC462.htm

Their test showed no cpu damage so I am guessing if you have the MB mounted Heatsinks moving your box might not be a problem. I might be a bit concerned strapping a pound of copper to the little plastic clips.

"Sorry Sir we can't replace your Toshiba cup holder....Toshiba does not make cup holders."

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
I've got a 500g blizzard s370 copper HSF in my main machine
and it works fine. I can move my box around, tip it on its side...etc no prob. But it uses all 5 of the mounting lugs on the socket.

On the other handn now, I have a leadtek GF card that has a HSF on it that's too damn heavy though...it causes problems in my AGP slot.

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!