FOP38's speed changing!and Arctic Silver2 question

G

Can I change the speed of my FOP38 that it won't be as loud as it is now? I really hate and can't stand that noise at all! plus I use my pc in the morning while parents are asleep and when they hear my brand new FOP38 next thing I hear is:"TURN THE DAMN THING OFF" and the next thing I see a flying book (right in my eye!)
Now I'm going to buy some srctic Silver2, but there are 2 of them, one is the one that only thermal paste and another stcicks heatsinks to memory and CPUs, and I need the one that second one (the one that sticks), but does it work as thermal compuond? or just sticks things together?

paulcalmond

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
Don't use the version of Arctic Silver II that sticks, it contains epoxy adhesive and will make it very difficult to remove your heatsink from your cpu.

As for the question of noise you can connect your heatsink fan through a rheostat (a variable resistor). This would allow you to reduce the voltage supplied to the fan, which lowers the speed of the fan and hence reduces the noise level. But reduced fan speed does bring reduced cooling effect, so you would need to keep your eye on cpu temperature.

Swiftech sell a rheostat for their MC462-A that would work with any 12V fan (within its power rating). I guess there are other companies who sell similar devices.

Another alternative would be to replace your fan with one with built in speed control (these contain a temperature sensor that controls fan speed based on ambient temperature)

G

I need Arctic Silver 2 that sticks cuz I will use not for the CPU but for my MX card, memory chips will be colled down and I will o'clock more than 225Mhz at last! as for FOP38, then that thingy I need I have to buy too? NO WAY! I already spent a lot of money of HSFs and other stuff!

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
arctic silver 2 thermal EPOXY is just what it says, it doesnt come off, thats what you need form permanent fixing (NOT for use on cpu's...), you could wire up your fan to use 5V or 7V from your PSU. 5V(red) and gnd (black) =5V, Yellow(12V) and red (5v)= 7V, BE CAREFUL

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

BUT I WILL USE IT ON MEMORY CHIP ON MY GEFORCE 2 MX! (if I use capital letter it doesn't mean I sream, just that u can see better)it doesn't have to come off!! I need to stick some small heatsinks to each memory chip (4 of them), it should transfer heat to the heatsinks and that will cool down the memory chips! Am I right?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Yes, <b>thats right</b> :)
have a look at www.arcticsilver.com theres very detailed instructions on using both the heat transfer compound and the thermal expoy.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Ok, just to clarify things, Artic Silver II is a thermal compound used to transfer heat, and is not permanent.

Artic Silver Thermal Epoxy is a permanant Epoxy. Please do not confuse people by mixing the terminology used to describe two completely different products.

If you use Artic Silver II your ramsinks, and your video card coolers will not stick. If you use Artic Silver Thermal Epoxy, they will. LOL.

TRENDING THREADS