GTA IV Help

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Hi. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Im planning on buying GTA IV howerver i do not know if my PC will be able to handle high settings.

My specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4GHz overclocked to 2.8GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR2 800MHz overclocked to 900Mhz
Mobo: XFX 780i 3-way SLI
GPU: XFX GTX 285 1GB GDDR3 (Single card)
Monitor: HP 2011x (1600x900)

My question is will i be able to run GTA IV on "High" settings. Not "very high", repeat, "NOT VERY HIGH SETTINGS" at 1600x900 or perhaps 1440x900?

I was thinking maybe these settings:

Texture: High
Reflection: High
Water: High
Shadow: Medium to high?
Night Shadow: High
Texture filter: x4 Anisotropic
View Distance: 30
Detail Distance: 40-50
Vehical Density: 25-30
Definition: im not too sure if this will effect performance but maybe on to add the motion blur effect.

So please help me. Would i benefit from overclocking the GPU slightly? no major need to answer that one.

Note: Do not tell me to overclock CPU more as i have a passive heatsink and it gets too hot!!!

Thanks for your help.

Solution
I don't think you'll be having much issues with the game. Just make sure you patch it so that you don't face too many bugs with the game.
Also, you may want to turn down the draw distance a little more down. Maybe at around 20-30. Same goes for the detail distance.

jakepf1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
should be fine as long as you get patch get patch 1.0.4.0 its the best patch for performance and you wont need water on high since it looks better on low so that should boost fps i play gta iv on low settings on a e2160, 4gb ram, ati radeon 5450 on about 40 fps so your ok

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Thanx for your help guys.

Also would i see a substancial increase in performance if i upgrade video card? Considering GTA IV is mainly CPU intensive would it be worth upgrading?

Thanks

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
At those resolutions, no need to upgrade! I see no reason why it should be a problem, unless your CPU turns out to be the bottleneck. Yours is 1600x900 so I really doubt you'll have any issues. You won't manage to use more memory than 1 gb as that's the limit on your GPU. For that, like HEXiT said, if you run out of memory or you experience some lag, just turn the draw distance down a bit and see.

For more info, have a look at this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/113964-13-requirements-info

All the best!!

I don't think you'll be having much issues with the game. Just make sure you patch it so that you don't face too many bugs with the game.
Also, you may want to turn down the draw distance a little more down. Maybe at around 20-30. Same goes for the detail distance.

Solution